Author Topic: Good coffeebreak rls?  (Read 60750 times)

Ex

• IRC Communications Delegate
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Good coffeebreak rls?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 05:22:45 AM »
I've always absolutely hated the vi keys. I don't know who uses them, or why so many games keep including them. I would prefer wasd, or okl; at least. My favorite keys for games are the numeric number pad.

Edit; Also, many laptops (including mine) lack a numeric keypad. In those cases, it'd be nice to use some key configuration on the keyboard. I just hate the vi keys, and would much prefer something like wasd, okl;, szxc, pl;', hbnm or something like that.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 05:28:40 AM by Elig »

purpleflayer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 09:07:01 AM »
The reason so many games keep including them is because so many developers like them (me!). ;)  I suppose the best idea would be to have vikeys, wasd, and numberpad all supported at same time.  Of course then you have almost no keys left! ;D  User configuration keys is better solution I guess!

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 01:33:56 PM »
Yeah, I'd really need to start using vi to get used to all that hjkl nonsense. Yes, that's right, I've said it! NONSENSE! HAH! Makes no sense, by definition ;D

Not to mention the fact that it does not support diagonals without inducing more weirdness.

Numpads are great, but I can't remember the last time I used a computer that's not a laptop, so they're a no-go for me. I think I still prefer using 1234567890 to hjkl :P
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

Scautura

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • CyberRogue
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 09:04:37 PM »
Given that I use vi/vim, and I've never used the "vi" keys, I still don't understand where they come from. I've probably used them a couple of times in a roguelike (on a laptop where I had to fight with a "numpad" that was across normal keys and used the Fn key and various other things to get it to work) but they still don't really make sense to me.

My preference is numpad, but I'm going to try and have configurable controls for CyberRogue (2 default configs - numpad and vi) so it's no big deal.

Scautura
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the Universe together.
CyberRogue

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 11:13:53 AM »
Back on the topic of good coffeebreak roguelikes, it looks like there's a new version of prospector just recently posted in the announcements subforum.

Rya.Reisender

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2009, 01:49:33 PM »
You might want to check out my roguelike: http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=439.0
It's more coffeebreak than roguelike, but it can be pretty addictive. :-)
And you can play it with one hand, while drinking coffee with the other.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 12:30:35 AM »
And you can play it with one hand, while drinking coffee with the other.

Ah the true definition of a coffee-break roguelike :)
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike