Author Topic: Looking for a Team  (Read 31919 times)

Jeheace

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Jeheace's Deviantart
    • Email
Looking for a Team
« on: June 22, 2009, 12:36:25 AM »
I'm wanting to be part of a team to create a new true 3d RL with graphics and physics similar to Kings Field I and Kings Field II for the PSX (U.S. Releases)

The problem...

I'm no good at coding. I'm currently using a book (C++ Primer 5th ed) to teach myself C++, But I'm a bit impatient...

But I can do the Models!!! That is one thing I can offer... That, and some brainstorming.

So, if anybody out there knows enough about coding and wants to try out my idea, then please, Let me know.

Till then, I'll be trying to learn C++ ^-^

So, in short, I'm seeking Like minded individuals who know how to code, do music, and possible graphics assistance.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for a Team
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 06:29:50 AM »
Teamwork is notoriously hard for roguelike developers and I think in indie game development in general. Sometimes right people meet, but I guess usually it just doesn't happen. (I wish I had a graphic artist for my project...)

I think for better response you should show some of your 3D models. You should also have a good plan for the game, or it will fail before anything happens.

PaulBlay

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 07:15:23 AM »
Teamwork is notoriously hard for roguelike developers and I think in indie game development in general.

I think it's not so much teamwork itself as being able to find people to work on _your_ game rather than you work on _theirs_.

Actually that gives me an idea.  You gather up all the people working on their own game alone, make them fight, and the winner gets all the others to work on his project.  ;D

Jeheace

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Jeheace's Deviantart
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:49:45 AM »
Thanks for the advice, just threw together a few models and uploaded to PB.

Here's a link to the images ^-^

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n144/Jeheace/RL/

PaulBlay

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:50:13 AM »

I'm not likely to get involved in graphical roguelikes (or other games) but I have to say that the ants look very nice indeed.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 04:41:03 PM »
Writing a roguelike from scratch is difficult, people often lose their motivation during the several year long process. This is even more dangerous for team projects, you never know when your teammates will disappear. Suppose I want to do all the programming work and do not want to do any models, while you want to do models, but do not want to do programming. If you drop out at some stage of development, the effort will be lost, since nobody is willing to do the remaining work in the model field. What to do then? That's why I think such team project is very risky.

Why not offer your Models to some already existing roguelike? This needs 3 ingredients: (a) Models, (b) existing roguelike (let's call it ERL), and (c) porting the graphics in ERL to use your models. If you learn how to do (c), then you have a good chance of doing something nice by your own. Otherwise, you will need someone willing to do (c) for you, either the author of ERL, or someone else.

Working on your own project is more fun than that, but it is also the reason why is it hard to find someone to work on your project.

What do you mean by 'true 3D'?

PaulBlay

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 08:04:51 PM »
Suppose I want to do all the programming work and do not want to do any models, while you want to do models, but do not want to do programming. If you drop out at some stage of development, the effort will be lost, since nobody is willing to do the remaining work in the model field. What to do then? That's why I think such team project is very risky.

Learn the other skill so, even if you're a n00b, you can bodge together something releasable if the other member leaves.  Like in JBand I'm hoping for native speaker correction of the Japanese, but I know enough to write understandable text without it.  I hoped for (and actually got!) assistance with the C programming (thanks artanis) but my newbie skills are probably enough to get something workable together.

What do you mean by 'true 3D'?

Not isometric?

Jeheace

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Jeheace's Deviantart
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 01:36:16 AM »
By 'true 3D' I mean a game similar to Kings Field... or, if you're more familiar with it, WOW...

But much more low poly than WOW ^-^

Not sure why I chose to use the words 'true 3D' but isometric isn't quite what I meant.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 05:37:13 AM »

I don't want to sound negative, but that's entry level modelling. You really need to do better than that. You need to show your texturing and modelling skills with models that require more skills, like humanoid characters. Something like this:
http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/packs/dwarf/dwarf01.jpg

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 10:07:19 AM »

I don't want to sound negative, but that's entry level modelling. You really need to do better than that. You need to show your texturing and modelling skills with models that require more skills, like humanoid characters. Something like this:
http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/packs/dwarf/dwarf01.jpg

You know some people start creating games with ascii and then build fantastic tiles, why not start with simple models?  Creating 100 simple models will get a more detailed game than 10 fantastic models.   
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

PaulBlay

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 10:39:41 AM »
Quote from: corremn
You know some people start creating games with ascii and then build fantastic tiles, why not start with simple models?  Creating 100 simple models will get a more detailed game than 10 fantastic models.   
IMO

Gameplay >>> Looks

in just about everything (apart from pr0n ;-)

purestrain

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
I'm currently working on a "semi-true" 3d "roguelike" - Gameplay remains strictly 2D (e.g. 2d maps like doom, no lookup/down) with 3rd persion camera. The result is a mixture between a roguelike and gauntlet (maybe like egoboo).

But its written in D and currently more sci-fi themed like alien breed.

I think it's not so much teamwork itself as being able to find people to work on _your_ game rather than you work on _theirs_.

Thats the problem ;-) But the little critters from Tron look nice - maybe you can tweak them (legal issues) and do a md2-model for me?

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 10:46:54 AM »
why not start with simple models?

You clearly missed the point.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »
why not start with simple models?

You clearly missed the point.

You have to start somewhere.  You do realise that a lot of your comments can be taken as insulting, right?  I have always wondered if this is intentional or not.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 04:45:21 PM »
It is. I think people that have to deal with Krice on a more than never-again basis develop a protective shell after awhile ;D
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy