Author Topic: Welcome to Temple of the Roguelike Forums! (a.k.a. Introduce Yourself Thread)  (Read 539221 times)

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Welcome Mosenzov and good luck with your endeavors to come!   8)
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Irinka

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi all, Irinka here  :)
I don't really like to talk about myself, so I will just say that I've been a roguelike player for quite a long time. Few months I've started a website where I cover recent news from roguelike world, reviews etc. No point in linking to it, as it is in Polish only :)

I mostly enjoy new roguelikes with daring (even if not well-executed) ideas and I really hope to talk here on forums about them. See you around!

Ancient

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Welcome!

As one of those who read Rogalikator semi-regularly I hope you enjoy your stay here.
Michał Bieliński, reviewer for Temple of the Roguelike

TheCakePie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cake-pie.com
Re: Welcome to Temple of the Roguelike Forums! (a.k.a. Introduce Yourself Thread)
« Reply #273 on: September 19, 2012, 02:51:37 AM »
Hi guys, I too like dem roguelikes. I write a blog about gaming and beauty (because I'm apparently a masochist). My specialties are rogues, indy games, and I write about some of the kickstarters I like. For people into beauty stuff, I write about skincare, beauty products from Asia (S. Korea esp), and budget products. I haven't posted too many articles (slow but steady), but I've been a journalist in the games industry for a long time so this is like my weirdo side-project. I'm disabled and I'd welcome conversations with other disabled gamers to compare notes with.

I play powder, nethack, dredmor, crawl, tome, and many more. I've ascended a bunch and my goal is to beat as many as possible. I enjoy a challenge, and strategy games are my fave but I've been around for a while and I'll play any game if it's good. I don't limit myself.

Nice to meet you all!

Alex E

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Welcome to Temple of the Roguelike Forums! (a.k.a. Introduce Yourself Thread)
« Reply #274 on: September 19, 2012, 04:10:18 AM »
Hi guys, I too like dem roguelikes. I write a blog about gaming and beauty (because I'm apparently a masochist). My specialties are rogues, indy games, and I write about some of the kickstarters I like. For people into beauty stuff, I write about skincare, beauty products from Asia (S. Korea esp), and budget products. I haven't posted too many articles (slow but steady), but I've been a journalist in the games industry for a long time so this is like my weirdo side-project. I'm disabled and I'd welcome conversations with other disabled gamers to compare notes with.

Well hey, I like roguelikes too! It's a crazy coincidence.

Ancient

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 19, 2012, 08:23:46 PM »
Welcome!

I play powder, nethack, dredmor, crawl, tome, and many more. I've ascended a bunch and my goal is to beat as many as possible.

I find it interesting that you name POWDER first. Is that list in random order or do you think POWDER has some outstanding gameplay quality?

TheCakePie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cake-pie.com
« Reply #276 on: September 20, 2012, 03:04:07 AM »
Welcome!

I play powder, nethack, dredmor, crawl, tome, and many more. I've ascended a bunch and my goal is to beat as many as possible.

I find it interesting that you name POWDER first. Is that list in random order or do you think POWDER has some outstanding gameplay quality?

I didn't really intend any special order (why would I?). That list is far from inclusive, I just didn't feel like making an ordered list of every RL I've ever played >_>

Powder was my first classic rogue. I did actually like it a lot, and I think it's terrific. You sound like you have something against it.

kraflab

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • kraflab.com
« Reply #277 on: September 20, 2012, 05:17:40 AM »
Welcome!

I didn't really intend any special order (why would I?). That list is far from inclusive, I just didn't feel like making an ordered list of every RL I've ever played >_>

Powder was my first classic rogue. I did actually like it a lot, and I think it's terrific. You sound like you have something against it.

Careful, certain unnamed people here think that a game with cardinal movement isn't a roguelike :P

TheCakePie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Cake-pie.com
« Reply #278 on: September 20, 2012, 06:48:53 PM »

Careful, certain unnamed people here think that a game with cardinal movement isn't a roguelike :P

Oh yeah! I should watch my step then! The roguelike police will get me, haha. I don't give one single eff what unnamed persons think, lol.

Ancient

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 20, 2012, 11:01:24 PM »
I didn't really intend any special order (why would I?).

When giving few RL names off the top of my head I go for those that are most interesting but usually are not in the spotlight.

Powder was my first classic rogue. (...) You sound like you have something against it.

The post above may sound so but my thoughts are exactly the opposite. I blame it on my inferior command of English.

redgravewriter

• Newcomer
  • My short story i wrote a decade ago
    • View Profile
    • As the coffee drips; the messed up life of one writer
    • Email
Hi I'm Samuel Plahetka. I usually join forums (games, lists, etc) as redgravewriter, rgw or for smaller names mine.
I've been playing roguelikes forever. On my old 286 computer bought a shareware disk that had nethack on it (5.25 disk too) and been hooked ever since. I used to play omega when it was stil being developed. Played too much dweller when my baby mama had both our kids around 4 years ago. I love random overland maps and complex monster and npc ai's.

I have a few ideas on my own roguelike, but due to not having much programming experience might take a minute to get something ready

oh and if you ever come across coffee or coffee jokes by samuel plahetka and they want you to pay for it, just go on past. That book is available free anywhere. some pirate stole it. oh and if theres a copyright infringement lawyer reading this I could use your help.
Check out my blog. Just updates on what I'm doing, what's going on in my life(heh), and various thoughts of mine. Be careful some parts of my life are better then a soap opera http://samscoffeedrips.blogspot.com/?m=1

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Welcome.  Have some Omega slightly more in the modern slate of doings:

http://freespace.virgin.net/davidk.kinder/omega.html
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

redgravewriter

• Newcomer
  • My short story i wrote a decade ago
    • View Profile
    • As the coffee drips; the messed up life of one writer
    • Email
I like that. Fun :) can't get my laptop to work long enough. Guess I need to build another desktop system. Hehe. Oooo and I can hook it up to my TV too. Maybe
I'll finally network two together :p

Nethack and omega on a 32 inch LCD TV. Fun
Check out my blog. Just updates on what I'm doing, what's going on in my life(heh), and various thoughts of mine. Be careful some parts of my life are better then a soap opera http://samscoffeedrips.blogspot.com/?m=1

mendonca

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • A Hundred Heroes - Roguelike Reviews and Ruminations
    • Email
Hello everybody!

My names mendonca, named after the semi-legendary Grimsby Town striker (Association Football parlance) and nothing to do with any Brazilian Musicians (I'm not that culturally aware - although arguably Clive was a great artiste, and must have been a little bit Brazilian).

I'm based in the UK, and have been enthralled with Roguelikes ever since I grabbed a copy of Nethack about 10 years ago, and laughed my way through a thousand stupid deaths.

Recent Roguelike achievements include playing Angband on the TV in my front room via a Raspberry Pi, and also putting together a reasonably simplistic roguelike-inspired game for myself, as a hobby to learn a little bit of Python (with Libtcod). I am rather enthralled that getter77 actually posted a link to my Bay12 page in this place (THIS ONE HERE) and in fact I shall consider labelling myself as a Game Developer from hereon in, to all strangers not sufficiently wise to the real truth.

I should probably start this introduction again, fraudulently referring to myself as such ...

So hello, it's good to be around, and I hope to contribute positively to this forum  :)

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Welcome and enjoy your stay---lots of promising projects afoot for you to enjoy and pick up on some good notions from.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training