Author Topic: Project: Roguelike Renaissance  (Read 174761 times)

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Project: Roguelike Renaissance
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2010, 10:52:59 PM »
Yay for new things out of the blue...intending to help out with the English text revision for Ash of Time.  Tablet also apparently shipped out today instead of the 19th...so hopefully I can hustle up on everything.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2010, 12:41:30 PM »
Tablet has arrived, will make sure it doesn't melt upon turning it on at some point today, the backlog still lives but is quite beaten back.

Soon I shall descend into a madness of learning and applying...
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

abecedarian

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2010, 07:11:09 PM »
Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you... Good stuff with the tablet, I've always wanted one! It looks like you're very ambitious and I respect that.. Consider me at your service, primarily for pixel art knowledge because I'm very aware of the subtleties of the art, but like I said, I'm most accessible through email! ;D
CHEERS
-ian

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2010, 08:54:28 PM »
Yay for that.

Boo for me just now getting internet service back due to a thunderstorm saturday night frying stuff all around our house...including my router.   :'(   Such a mess to come still, as well as gas problem with the stove....
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2010, 03:34:21 PM »
Still at the last of the backlog, now also intending to help out with Rayel in the same manner as Ash of Time.  Eschalon Book II is set to release on May 16th, so unless I happen to find out something relatively soon, it will mean I didn't make the last cut afterall.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »
Late doings, but I completed this latest bit of helping for LambdaRogue---to be seen in the next release.  Yay!
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2010, 05:17:03 PM »
Now have contributed 2 files of English revisions/localization for Rayel.   8)
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 12, 2010, 11:58:20 AM »
As it is the 12th and I ultimately received no word back, I simply didn't make the cut for Eschalon Book II.   Will still try to remember to try the demo at the very least to see how it has evolved from the first game.  I am sad.   :(

But on the other hand, another busy side-spurt arrives on me this day as I got accepted to do the English revision for the just-alive ToME 4!   ;D    Excited to work on a "legend" of sorts for the first time, and it also looks like I could get to see myself implemented ingame too upon some discussing of it.   8)

/aims his morning/afternoon at this now...good thing to wake up to!
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2010, 07:12:49 PM »
:hours later now:

...Right, that gets ToME 4's English script decently squared away!  There's still more though, but outside of somebody else having a better idea, that will manifest from me hunting through Lua files in Notepad for known revision gaps and probably a host of other things as slim to nothing was actually available as any sort of text file---doings so far were mainly just me hunting screen by screen ingame.   :P
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2010, 12:17:26 PM »
Should be all situated with ToME4's file hunt this morning or early this afternoon at the latest.

From there, I got accepted to try and help with another game that popped up lately---Summoning Wars!  Translation will be about all I can help with anytime soon at least unless they decide to also salvage/double check permission some of my old doings from jcrpg.

I will poke around these apparent ".po" files straight away after the ToME4 doings, outside of eating something and whatnot depending on what time it all winds up being.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2010, 02:17:04 PM »
ToME4 complete....now to look into this other thing...

Yeah, that other thing...just the biggest file left now.  Thing is...this file is nigh 200kb in Notepad---this is going to take some doings even for me!   :o
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 03:13:20 PM by getter77 »
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2010, 02:32:42 AM »
Yeah...actually just now got finished with that one thanks to a good number of quests still being in German.  Scarily enough, between hunting around in this as well as the Lua in ToME 4, I half suspect I might've come to understand how to actually read/interpret code just a bit---which is pretty nifty coming from being a blank slate.

Now to get things back on track backlog wise from this excursion, see about the apprenticeship project, and get to the bulk of Rayel and Ash of Time somewhere along the way when they are communicated to me.

Woo!

Might as well update the OP somewhat I guess.  Somehow, I just don't feel right doing it until there is a verifiable sighting of me on a staff credits screen or website section, so just the one for now.  Can't wait to be able to update it with the rest as their respective new versions make it out with my contributions to them!   :D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:36:35 AM by getter77 »
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2010, 10:44:40 PM »
PLOS message sent, files backed up to the external, will get the tablet firmware'd up proper along with my software fate tomorrow morning.

Also, this marks my entry into the Nigh-Always On Phase.   Meaning that I should have some combo Skype, Google Chat/Video, yahoo instant messenger, AIM, and my trusty Verizon cell phone bearing free nights after 9PM EST and weekends are the ready during my waking hours to collaborate on projects, chat Roguelikes, and pretty well in general as whatever comes up.

Which ultimately translates to me being available for talking/doings from about 7:30amEST until 11pm-12amEST---subject to not having to pop out for groceries and the like.  I do foresee some late nights ahead though...

Still want to get some DVD-R's though..
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:45:58 PM by getter77 »
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2010, 08:42:43 PM »
IT BEGINS!

STEP 1:   Figure out SVN as I've never used it before...that any maybe the gist of the whole Clay thing.

Anybody up for explaining/showing the obvious....get to Skype/Google Chat/whatever and chime in this evening!  I'll also leave a tab open here just in case.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

TeeEmCee

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2010, 05:54:53 PM »
Hi. I'm afraid I haven't read through this whole thread (but just the first and last pages), so I'm not sure of the details, but it certainly seems that you should be applauded for tacking an enormous task. You seem to (still!) have a lot of determination. Keep up your attitude!

...Right, that gets ToME 4's English script decently squared away!  There's still more though, but outside of somebody else having a better idea, that will manifest from me hunting through Lua files in Notepad for known revision gaps and probably a host of other things as slim to nothing was actually available as any sort of text file---doings so far were mainly just me hunting screen by screen ingame.   :P

A funny story... I offered to DarkGod to go through and fix all the errors in the ToME4 text that I could find. I was quite surprised when he said someone had done it already. Mostly. He emailed me the files you had sent him, and so I set to work applying them to the source to create a patch. This took most of an evening. Who knows how long it would have taken DarkGod to get around to it; some of your finds were already obsolete :P. I did spot many more errors besides the ones you listed, but you did do good work (just don't be surprised to discover I made some changes to your rewordings :P). But the moral of the story is: for the love of god, don't list corrections in a text file, but just fix errors in files directly, and then create a patch - there was a lot of work wasted there. I'm glad to hear that you're investing time in learning to use SVN - you won't regret it! (Of course, you can create a patch against a file that is not checked into version control, but the patch files generated by SVN have the huge benefit of saying which version of the file they were created against, which makes them much smoother to apply)

Likewise: Notepad?! If you are going to do a lot of text editing, you should get a decent text editor, or at the very least, use a utility which lets you search multiple files for a regexp. I found many typos in ToME4 by searching for "minimun", etc. Learn about using regexps. If you don't like commandline utilities (like grep), try Notepad++.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:58:26 PM by TeeEmCee »