Author Topic: Project: Roguelike Renaissance  (Read 174773 times)

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Project: Roguelike Renaissance
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2009, 09:47:15 PM »
Have fallen back into game research while awaiting word on this and that.   :(

PC build finalizing bumped back to, HOPEFULLY!!!, Monday'ish.  Need to get this settled expediently as I'm pretty sure I'll need it to successfully help out with Din's Curse which I expect to reach that stage come mid Januaryish---not to mention everything else.   >:(
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:59:13 PM by getter77 »
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2010, 12:09:35 AM »
Yeah....New Year's seems to have thrown the shipping just enough off course that, combined with break ending, it'll be Sat of this week before the PC gets largely started to be situated.   :(

Otherwise, the situation with S.C.O.U.R.G.E. is starting to frustrate me without any headway...couple weeks now since message left, bit past a week since forum topic made----I can't stalk a blasted irc channel 24/7 for random appearances.   >:(  Worst case I may just have to find some other project to integrate into relevant to my aims and interests...but S.C.O.U.R.G.E. just seems to hit so many targets to good effect.

I do now have some aspirations/a slim set of chances towards the soon to be largely opened-up Achron project in the coming months though.  I'm pretty sure their Resequence engine could be used to create one/some of the most ridiculous Roguelikes of all time.  Moreso, the slim chance could entail me winding up with some pay/work out of it IF I can manage learning the right things(primarily they are looking for quality 3D models---a surely tricky thing to get to quickly from scratch) and applying them skillfully in time.

I guess this is but the first taste I'll have in terms of something not progressing smoothly on getting involved with a project----even if that is a smooth progression towards smacking into a wall to climb over.

Edit:  Annnd now it would appear the Din's Curse work will slip back to closer to the end of January or so versus mid-month as they crawl out of closed Alpha and the semi-open Beta starts.  So...I'm not really sure how to process that as it relates to looking into other things meanwhle or something else as "some weeks" counts as a significant chunk of time in my situation.   :-\
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:31:25 AM by getter77 »
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2010, 04:52:40 PM »
Well, S.C.O.U.R.G.E. looks to be going into stasis...fully...to the tune of eventually/possibly/depending metamorphing into a full conversion of sorts into jME/Java upon C++GL burnout and such.   : (   ???

So...not really sure where that puts me in terms of getting myself integrated into something post Din's Curse beta that'll introduce me to a wide array of game development aspects/tools as this wasn't exactly an expected development.  Maybe Planes of Sedia?  I need ideas here folks.   :-\
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2010, 08:33:12 PM »
In my opinion a good thing for the roguelike world would be to make Triangle Wizard with a graphic. Even the most simple graphic.. like static bidimensional black and white drawings of enemies made with Microsoft Paint.
This simple thing in my opinion could attract a lot more people to Triangle Wizard.. because after the initial impact (no graphics), the game is full of action and strategy and, most important thing, very playable even for people who have never played a roguelike before.
JM2C

What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2010, 08:54:53 PM »
Time'll tell where Wouter takes it/how GameMaker evolves/as random things happen.  I do share the sentiment that Triangle Wizard on the whole is chock full of potential.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2010, 09:41:30 PM »
Well, I don't like my efficacy being reduced due to still being stuck with this busted mouse courtesy of the idiots of UPS that leave packages just lying around outside at apartment complexes, but the beta for Din's Curse is now underway so it is time for me to dig in VERY deeply.   All other things on hold, same for any games.....outside of time sensitive stuff and bits here and there in the week and heading down and out to eat/sleep----this will get my utmost focus to the tune of in excess of 10 hours a day everyday that I am able to.   If I can't handle singular devotion of time to this one project, it would bode rather poorly towards my own game making and otherwise related endeavors.

Wish me luck and success, for this will be ongoing for the next month or so.  I'll still pop around here, obviously, but with less frequency as I'll have to streamline my internet checking for news and such while this is ongoing as it currently takes me awhile with so many places to check and things to digest.

Perhaps I'll even see some Temple folk helping to hash things out?   8)   At any rate, the game will get my best efforts so as to ultimately be the best it can be in terms of what beta testing can bring.

18 times I'll need to beat the game bare minimum in the timeframe for proper testing...166+/- in theory.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

5v3nd0ttg

• Newcomer
  • Nate
    • MSN Messenger - p03tic5ickn355@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - p03tic5ickn355
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - p03tic5ickn355
    • View Profile
    • The Other Experiment Studio
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2010, 10:25:10 PM »
Darn that UPS. I'm a CS major myself. I lend my expertise to your endeavors and wish you the best. My project was referred to earlier, just clarifying it's Visual Basic .NET. I appreciate your interest in keeping the community alive. I try to visit here as much as I can, honestly it's mostly just a minute or two of reading posts. It's hard to dedicate a lot of time when I have so much on my plate with my projects and marriage on it's way (April 10th.) If you decide my expertise might help, you can certainly use my email address on my homepage. Email's just a phone-touch away for me.
Check out my artwork, photography, and video game projects at www.theoestudio.com.

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2010, 04:26:46 PM »
Darn that UPS. I'm a CS major myself. I lend my expertise to your endeavors and wish you the best. My project was referred to earlier, just clarifying it's Visual Basic .NET. I appreciate your interest in keeping the community alive. I try to visit here as much as I can, honestly it's mostly just a minute or two of reading posts. It's hard to dedicate a lot of time when I have so much on my plate with my projects and marriage on it's way (April 10th.) If you decide my expertise might help, you can certainly use my email address on my homepage. Email's just a phone-touch away for me.

Much appreciated and congrats on the impending marriage!  8)  I'll likely try to follow up on things after this beta is settled barring some other  unpredictable stuff coming up alongside getting that Intuous4 tablet to better facilitate things.

It'll also be interesting to see how that book shakes out.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2010, 03:20:40 PM »
Well, leave it to me to take a shot in dark, thusly I've just applied for the limited closed beta for Basilisk Games Eschalon Book II

http://basiliskgames.com/

which would start in another week/couple weeks and then likely last a good chunk of weeks/monthish.  Din's Curse beta seems to be at the final stages where I'm largely out of things to mention/beaten to mentioning things already confirmed by multiple people and more experience is more experience and with a different company/gamestyle---though this time around I do want to work in a bit of multi-tasking alongside my typical marathoning.

Of course, I could be horribly wrong and Din's may kick into some sort of extended overdrive....in which case if the 2 streams cross I guess I'll play with my sleep schedule quite a bit for the duration.   :D
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2010, 08:49:17 PM »
I really admire the graphic designer that made the art for Basilisk Games' website. Being something of a casual web developer, I always appreciate a well designed site.

guest509

« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
  Yo Getter if you need we could send off a few 'reference' emails to those guys saying "We really think you should hire this guy".  :)

As far as what was talked about earlier in this thread about being included inside of a game, I think a 'getter' class would be great. In could be the equal of the rogue/thief type of class, someone who 'gets' things. Like a scavenger or agent in a scifi game.

Also bummer to hear about you being ill. I have dealt with a couple of 'near life' experiences over the past 3 years, so I know how brutal it can be.

So if I get anything more than just a movement engine into my project/s I'll definitely include you as a class or merchant/trader or something or other.

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2010, 12:08:56 PM »
Heh, they wound up going with a phased beta of sorts where, in theory, you could get accepted at any time but in general it is along certain breakpoints right up to just only getting in for a final run of the game within the last week or so of testing.  On my end, just checking a couple times a day as the next/first jumping in point for those not on first string is this coming Thursday---pushed back from this past Sat or so.

I'd obviously sooner get in as early as possible to be able to successfully spend time with it, but there's still plenty of merit to it if I only just barely make the cut into the final pass group.

Heh, a "getter" class would probably just confuse and/or enrage the Super Robot fans unless it was the actual Getter in a game!  Hence my bias towards an unorthodox unique Brian Jeffears lurking ingame.   :D

My cold at least seems to be on the decline, and while waiting to find out on Eschalon/still thinking on Din's, I've been putting away the backlog and more game related studies in terms of other games.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

guest509

« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2010, 08:34:54 PM »
I had to look up Super Robot. Lol. Manga. I never got the appeal, but man I know a TON of fans. Good luck on the cold.

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2010, 11:26:35 PM »
http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Overview.html   Well, that's that situated while I still wait to see if I make the cut for Eschalon Book II(Edit:  Apparently now having a release target aimed towards end of April).  Upon that, making an inquiry in one place, that tablet purchase to come, and this feeling I have like I've somehow forgotten something I meant to try/purchase game related in this past while...that'd round things out before seeing what for on PLOS and who knows what else.  Perhaps such would come to constitute my participation in the ARRP event later in the year?  Time and whatever else comes up shall tell....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:23:04 AM by getter77 »
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2010, 06:12:49 PM »
Well folks, it will do no no good to waver terribly on what is likely a necessity, so the deed is now done:

http://www.wacom.com/intuos/small.php

I was able to score one for only $199 and no shipping sizes thanks to Amazon.  Bigger ones surely have their obvious advantages, but at my level, this stage, and the crazy skyward rocketing of the price for units greater than this one----even I'm not that crazy.

Thus, in time with much struggle, the key piece toward there being much Tiling and such the the world of Roguelikes shall fall into place.  I would posit it to be almost a certainty to see my teeth cut upon it with PLOS and, I hope, one or more other Roguelikes over these next few months once I can manipulate the thing accordingly.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training