Author Topic: The Temple of Torment  (Read 187366 times)

Aukustus

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 440
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • The Temple of Torment
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »
Interestingly I got my game running on my Raspberry Pi. Wasn't too bad to play on it, quite slow though.

Legend

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 656
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 06:00:15 AM »
I saw in an earlier post that fullscreen is supported by pressing alt+enter.  It does not appear to be working for me though.  Using windows xp with latest sp.

Aukustus

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 440
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • The Temple of Torment
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 12:20:24 PM »
I saw in an earlier post that fullscreen is supported by pressing alt+enter.  It does not appear to be working for me though.  Using windows xp with latest sp.

You have to press it in-game and your resolution must be larger than the game screen. Then it should work

Legend

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 656
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 03:54:06 PM »
I saw in an earlier post that fullscreen is supported by pressing alt+enter.  It does not appear to be working for me though.  Using windows xp with latest sp.

You have to press it in-game and your resolution must be larger than the game screen. Then it should work

ok. tried it and it did work. I coulda sworn I tried it in game already but didn't work.  Anyways, thanks. 

It would be nice though if there was a way to make it start in fullscreen. Also to configure it so it can always start in ascii/tiles.

*EDIT*

It doesn't seem to work all the time. Like after I loaded a game, it started in ascii cause that's what I had it set to, but I can't get it to go back to full screen.

*EDIT 2*
NM. It seems to only work with the left alt button.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:04:18 PM by Legend »

Aukustus

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 440
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • The Temple of Torment
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »
I saw in an earlier post that fullscreen is supported by pressing alt+enter.  It does not appear to be working for me though.  Using windows xp with latest sp.

You have to press it in-game and your resolution must be larger than the game screen. Then it should work

ok. tried it and it did work. I coulda sworn I tried it in game already but didn't work.  Anyways, thanks. 

It would be nice though if there was a way to make it start in fullscreen. Also to configure it so it can always start in ascii/tiles.

Yeah. I can compile full screen executable for the next release.

I have to think about how to make the always start in ascii / tiles thing viable since windowed ascii, windowed tiles, full screen ascii and full screen tiles are too many exes. Or is it a problem?

One way could be to make different zips for full screen / windowed tile version and full screen / windowed ascii version.
Other way could be a conf file that players could modify so the game reads it before starting. There could be one line the game reads for full screen / windowed and one line for ascii / tiles.

I'll take any suggestions for this.

Legend

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 656
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2014, 04:21:12 PM »
A config file is probably the best option I think.

The game is pretty cool so far.

Although the hunger clock seems to be a bit too strict. I died of hunger rather quickly a few times just traveling from the first town to the dungeon.  Even after eating at the in, my hunger level went down rather quickly.

Also, the interface is a bit cumbersome. Inventory for instance.  In order to drink a potion, I have to enter the inventory, then pick items, then pick the potion, then choose to drink it.


Aukustus

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 440
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • The Temple of Torment
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
I'll figure out something for the conf file.

Yeah the food system needs some balancing since max hunger value is 3750 before dying from eating. One food adds 750. Each turn traveling on the world map subtracts 10. Resting subtracts 5 and regular turn 1. Starting value is 1500.

The inventory can be quite slow but that's the best I can do at the moment. The main reason for that is to limit the number of keys needed to play the game so that every inventory interaction is through one key, 'i'.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:28:42 PM by Aukustus »

Aukustus

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 440
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • The Temple of Torment
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2014, 07:13:42 PM »
Config file works pretty good at the moment for ascii and full screen settings.

Here's what's inside conf.txt
Code: [Select]
###########################################################
### Use "Full Screen = True" to play in full screen mode###
### or "Full Screen = False" to play in windowed mode ###
### Use "Tiles = True" to play in tiled mode ###
### or "Tiles = False" to play in ascii mode ###
###########################################################
Full Screen = False
Tiles = True

Here's also some of the upcoming changes in the next beta:
Code: [Select]
Bugs fixed
- Fixed a funny bug where player could speak to giladir's corpse

Quests
- Giladir's quest has now reward for evil choice. Giladir disappears now after meeting at Marwal Inn
- Prisoner quest now has deeper dialogue tree with one more possible reward

General
- Corrupted well after being cleansed and used has now it's own tile for empty well.
- Drinking from well heals 1 Hit Point
- Some quests display now intended level
- Doing good or evil deeds display now message
- Combat messages improved
- Couple of more dialogues

Spells and talents
- Spells and talents featuring effects such as poison and stun take into account resistances

Monsters
- Monster resistances are implemented; uses dungeon level / 3 against d20, e.g. end boss rolls 11 and thus has 55% resistance
- Bandits and undead adventurers are no longer named and cannot be elite monsters

Items
- Weapons now can be found as damaged, normal or superior (-1, 0 and +1 damage and 20% chance, 60% chance and 20% chance and 70%, 100% and 130% sell values respectively )
- Selling prices in general adjusted

Aukustus

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 440
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • The Temple of Torment
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2014, 10:00:15 PM »
I uploaded the next beta version, Beta 5: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95372567/TToTd20_Beta5.rar

Full change log:
Code: [Select]
Bugs fixed
- Fixed a funny bug where player could speak to giladir's corpse

Quests
- Giladir disappears now after meeting at Marwal Inn
- Free the Prisoner quest, Heal Giladir quest and Kill the bandit leader quest have now evil rewards

General
- !!!New config file for setting default full screen!!!
- !!!Ascii mode is now handled through the config file!!!
- Corrupted well after curing and using has now tile
- Drinking from well heals 1 Hit Point
- Some quests display now intended level
- Doing good or evil deeds display now message
- Combat messages improved
- More dialogues
- Saves are now in a subfolder Saves

NPC
- Merchant is now named Haradir
- Innkeeper is now named Elemira

Spells and talents
- Spells and talents featuring effects such as poison and stun take into account resistances

Monsters
- Monster resistances are implemented; uses dungeon level / 3 against d20, e.g. end boss rolls 11 and thus has 55% resistance
- Bandits and undead adventurers are no longer named and cannot be elite monsters

Items
- Weapons now can be found as damaged, normal or superior (-1, 0 and +1 damage and 20% chance, 60% chance and 20% chance and 70%, 100% and 130% sell values respectively)
- Sell prices in general adjusted

getter77

  • Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
  • *****
  • Posts: 4955
  • Karma: +3/-1
    • View Profile
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2014, 12:46:17 AM »
The release pace continues to be impressive indeed---keep at it and polish like crazy.   8)
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Aukustus

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 440
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • The Temple of Torment
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2014, 05:23:43 AM »
The release pace continues to be impressive indeed---keep at it and polish like crazy.   8)

I have a lot of free time and I truly enjoy developing this. Roguelike projects seem to grow exponentially since I get every day some idea I wish to implement.

Today I figured out how to make an easy item identification system.

Zireael

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 604
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2014, 06:35:54 AM »
Quote
I have a lot of free time and I truly enjoy developing this. Roguelike projects seem to grow exponentially since I get every day some idea I wish to implement.

That is very true. I am the same with Veins - and that's why I haven't yet had time to take this for a spin.

Legend

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 656
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2014, 07:48:12 AM »

The inventory can be quite slow but that's the best I can do at the moment. The main reason for that is to limit the number of keys needed to play the game so that every inventory interaction is through one key, 'i'.

I can see where you wanted to go I think. But ultimately, I think it was implemented in a kinda counter-intuitive way. No offense.

I can appreciate trying to limit the number of key commands needed to play. But in this case, you ended up adding the number of total keystrokes needed to perform a single action. Which, in my opinion, is more off-putting than having to know a slightly larger number of key commands.

Also, it would be nice if the message told me which location I was at when I move to it before I enter it.

I do still quite like most of it the game despite this little gripe.

Any plans to randomize the quests?

Aukustus

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 440
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • The Temple of Torment
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2014, 08:31:45 AM »
I will rethink about the inventory at some point. Probably will be unchanged due to my programming skills.

Also, it would be nice if the message told me which location I was at when I move to it before I enter it.

Can you elaborate a little bit? Do you mean the messages like "You are standing on "stairs down""?

Any plans to randomize the quests?

Probably some randomizing like some of the available quests are decided randomly when starting the game. All the quests there are now are fixed location and content and they'll be like that. I wish to add more quests though so they could be like I described.

Aukustus

  • Rogueliker
  • ***
  • Posts: 440
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • The Temple of Torment
Re: The Temple of Torment
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2014, 12:26:32 PM »
After too many hours I finally managed to make a Linux executable of my game.

I hope someone could try to run it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95372567/TToTd20_Debian.zip

It is a WIP Beta 6 with all debug keys active so it's not a representative of a final version.

I have no idea whether it works on any Linux or just Debian since I compiled it on Debian.

./TToTd20 should run it.

Edit: I got it running on Ubuntu also, even though that's not a surprise after Debian.

Edit2: Some of the paths seem to be wrong so it doesn't work.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:58:32 AM by Aukustus »