Author Topic: Another Crash and Burn (But I'm cool with it!)  (Read 12627 times)

guest509

Another Crash and Burn (But I'm cool with it!)
« on: April 21, 2013, 10:30:08 AM »
Well i've started up another programming project, but after getting into it and getting it semi functional it just DOESN'T WORK. It's just not fun for me. Since I make games for myself, if I'm bored then it's over.

But remember that's okay. Right? Not all game projects need to see a final state. Hell, probably most of them should be put down to a learning experience.

Not restarting or refactoring. I'm just moving on to the next idea.

Ex

• IRC Communications Delegate
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Another Crash and Burn
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:45:17 PM »
Yeah, this happens to me from time to time. I'll have a great idea that I think is going to be the most fun game ever. Then I'll implement it and it's no fun at all.

So what was the game you were developing? Any screenshots?

guest509

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 10:40:26 PM »
  Oh it was the project I talked about over here:

http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?topic=3273.0

I rejiggered it, simplified it, but the problem remains that:
1. Defending the town is kinda boring, almost passive.
2. The 2 types of gameplay, defending then diving, work better as separate games.

Honestly the town defense idea works better as I card game I think.

No biggie though. I'm already on to my next project! What's that called again where you bounce from project to project? Listless? ADD?

;)

guest509

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 11:42:31 PM »
What's really funny is that I still find it nearly impossible to complete a computer game outside of the 7DRL. Card games, no problem. Computer games just kick my ass unless I have a deadline. I'm sure there's a psyche paper in there somewhere. I'm not the only one with that 'issue'.

requerent

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Another Crash and Burn (But I'm cool with it!)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 11:45:32 PM »
I never have time to think of or design any projects I want to make myself, but solving a problem that is already specified is a lot of fun and helps me keep my sanity. Feel free to post your source >_<.

guest509

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 12:09:15 AM »
Maybe that's it...a problem specification thing. If there's no discrete problem to solve, such as "Write a fun game in seven days" there's just no direction. Right now it's merely, "write a game you would like to play." Too open ended.

As for solving other people's issues. My problem is not a design or programming issue, it's a FUN FACTOR problem. At first it was a problem of scope, but after cutting it down it just wasn't fun. It just wasn't looking like a fun game for me personally. So it's not a problem to be solved really.

As for my source, no problem. But it's a gamemaker file with just enough content for one to imagine the end result. Hardly a playable thing.

requerent

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 02:11:29 AM »
Maybe that's it...a problem specification thing. If there's no discrete problem to solve, such as "Write a fun game in seven days" there's just no direction. Right now it's merely, "write a game you would like to play." Too open ended.

As for solving other people's issues. My problem is not a design or programming issue, it's a FUN FACTOR problem. At first it was a problem of scope, but after cutting it down it just wasn't fun. It just wasn't looking like a fun game for me personally. So it's not a problem to be solved really.

As for my source, no problem. But it's a gamemaker file with just enough content for one to imagine the end result. Hardly a playable thing.

I just found and started reading this-
http://www.raphkoster.com/gaming/gdco12/Koster_Raph_Theory_Fun_10.pdf

It's pretty interesting. Just slides- there is a book- and it may be some nice food for thought. Gets into some of the psychology and talks about OCEAN and Flow.

Specification of problems is typically the hardest part.

guest509

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 03:10:23 AM »
Nice. Thanks for the link.

Krice was saying something similar with Kaduria. It's hard to finish something if you don't know what the end is. Like trying to travel to the ends of the earth. Where is that exactly? Does a spheroid actually end?

requerent

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 04:35:48 AM »

Krice was saying something similar with Kaduria. It's hard to finish something if you don't know what the end is. Like trying to travel to the ends of the earth. Where is that exactly? Does a spheroid actually end?

It begins at index 0 and ends at length-1. Well, that's if salient points (in this case spline anchors) are enumerated. Otherwise, the alpha of the expression that defines the spheroid beginning at 0 and ending at 1.

guest509

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 04:54:05 AM »

It begins at index 0 and ends at length-1. Well, that's if salient points (in this case spline anchors) are enumerated. Otherwise, the alpha of the expression that defines the spheroid beginning at 0 and ending at 1.

The fact that only a few people get that is what's wrong with our culture. :-)

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 01:13:55 PM »
Krice was saying something similar with Kaduria. It's hard to finish something if you don't know what the end is.

Of course you can create the plan later. Usually it's good to try out stuff in game development anyway. Few of us are born with inner ability to create awesome games without trying out different things. What I find very useful is micro planning of a feature. The latest example was when I sat down and planned the entrance level theme on paper. You should try it when you don't know what to do with some part of the game. It's lot easier when you can visualize the problem.

guest509

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 05:27:25 PM »
Oh yes I'm a big paper planner. It's the best way I think, it's easy to flesh out ideas when you can easily draw and describe them at the same time.

Krenium

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 09:20:09 PM »
What's really funny is that I still find it nearly impossible to complete a computer game outside of the 7DRL. Card games, no problem. Computer games just kick my ass unless I have a deadline.

I have this problem too. For me, it's because programming easily allows you to get bogged down in endless details.

For instance, lately I've been making my map generator better instead of working on stuff like items, monsters, and mechanics. I could spend years on the map generator and never get anything else done..

guest509

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »
Oh I know this is a very common problem. The issue too is that the actual architecture of the map, like layout of rooms and such, is not that impactful on the fun of the game. Sure it's nice to see different types of levels, but real meat of a roguelike is in the items and monsters and such.

I figure after you get a good room and tunnel system the real work is in spawning interesting things...is that what you are talking about? Placement of interesting items and monster combos, or just the straight digging?

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 12:55:54 PM »
I could spend years on the map generator and never get anything else done..

I have actually done that. I had an idea to use a strict data-driven generator that would create all types of maps, but in the end it was too hard to do. Now I have broken down the generation process and try to create level themes one by one. It's dangerous to think "perfect" ideas and try to solve them instead of just creating the damn levels.