Author Topic: Angband graphical port launchpad  (Read 9177 times)

eclectocrat

• Rogueliker
  • Most of your personality is unconscious.
    • View Profile
    • Mysterious Castle
    • Email
Angband graphical port launchpad
« on: April 08, 2013, 08:18:16 PM »
Hey!

I make the game www.mysteriouscastle.com. It's got a nifty isometric interface with full support for iOS, pinch zoom (next version!), pixel perfect object selection, and some other crap.

Anyway, I'd like to make a version of Angband that runs atop the isometric engine on iOS, it'd be quite fun in my humble opinion. I have looked through the source code and am beginning to understand what the renderer is doing, but I'm just grasping at straws to figure a few details out.

1. Any tips for a graphical port?

2. I remember, and my google search turns up, Iso-Angband, but can't find the source code to see how they did ISO graphics with it.

3. How does one distinguish when rendering a UI element vs a Map element?

If any of those questions seem dumb, they probably are, I just thought I'd get a heads up from some pros.

Thanks!

kraflab

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • kraflab.com
Re: Angband graphical port launchpad
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »
Have you tried pming Hajo?  He is apparently not active any more, but a pm may ping his email and allow you to get in touch with him directly.  Here are reference threads on the project for anyone who wants to avoid google http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=3594 http://forums.roguetemple.com/index.php?topic=487.60

I cannot offer you any real help since I've never touched the Angband source, but it sounds like a fun project, so good luck :)

eclectocrat

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Mysterious Castle
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 06:48:50 PM »
Thanks everyone, I ended up asking on the reddit.com/r/roguelikes page and got a link. Angband rendering is so wacky, but I hope that in a couple of months I'll have another graphical variant. I've chosen (along with a buddy) to work on a custom ZAngband fork to test with the renderer, as I love the wilderness generation and I have a bunch of wilderness tiles.

Thanks dudes and dudettes!

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 08:28:39 PM »
It took a while to thaw me from my cryotank, sorry for the late reply. Indeed, the PM triggered the wakeup sequence  ;)

If you need help, just ask. It might be possible that I can help, but Iso-Angband used some rather tricky solutions to display the dungeon, and it wasn't even very reliable.

eclectocrat

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Mysterious Castle
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:38:27 PM »
It took a while to thaw me from my cryotank, sorry for the late reply. Indeed, the PM triggered the wakeup sequence  ;)

If you need help, just ask. It might be possible that I can help, but Iso-Angband used some rather tricky solutions to display the dungeon, and it wasn't even very reliable.

Cool! I may have questions for you, but I'm still trying to comb z-term.c to find out how in the hell do I know when I'm asked to render the map vs. a UI element. I imagine that Term_pict is the function I need to understand, I'll need to make some time in the coming months to really wrap my head around it all. If I can figure that out, then I'll be A-Ok!

I may re-initiate your thaw sequence with another PM in the coming months :)

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 09:38:52 PM »
I gave all the map tiles an attribute:char pair with the high bits set (0x80) so it was possible to tell them from ordinary characters.

I'm looking forward to your project. ZAngband should be a good base since it has much more visual diversity than vanilla Angband. But you'll be really busy drawing all those monsters, and for some I never could figure out how they were meant to look like, so best of luck with that :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:42:37 PM by Hajo »

eclectocrat

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Mysterious Castle
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 04:39:38 PM »
I gave all the map tiles an attribute:char pair with the high bits set (0x80) so it was possible to tell them from ordinary characters.

I'm looking forward to your project. ZAngband should be a good base since it has much more visual diversity than vanilla Angband. But you'll be really busy drawing all those monsters, and for some I never could figure out how they were meant to look like, so best of luck with that :)

Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for, nice. As far as graphics are concerned, I'm using David Gervais' tileset from dungeon odyssey. It has TONS of creatures, but I don't yet know If I'll have to prune any monsters from the game.

Thanks for the insight, suddenly this seems much more tractable.