Author Topic: Reviving Iso-Angband  (Read 71401 times)

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
Re: Reviving Iso-Angband
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2010, 08:34:58 AM »
It turned out that the Angband base that I had been using, 2.9.3, is just too old. Since updating to a recent Angband version meant to re-integrate the iso view freshly with the new Angband code, I also was looking for alternatives among the Angband variants.

Unangband seemed suitable. It's been around quite a while, I had loosely following the development, and I like a lot of the details put into Unangband.

So have started to integrate my code with Unangbad 0.6.4a.

I've published some work in progress releases so far, WIP 4 being the latest. There really is a whole lot of stuff missing, but you can walk around and get an impression.

Download

=> http://www.funkelwerk.de/data/iso-angband/releases/unangband-064-iso-wip4.zip (5.1 MB)

Images and sources are included. A windows executable is supplied, and two start scripts "start_large.bat" and "start_small.bat", as known from the former Iso-Angband releases.

Changes since WIP 3

- Roughly-hewn granite wall.
- Web-covered granite wall.
- Mossy granite wall.
- Vine-covered granite wall.
- Slime covered granite wall.
- pebbles in the shade.
- Rubble pile image and config.
- Cave lizard config.
- Ooze config.

- Temporarily added a hardcoded solution for spell effects, since I could not find out how to configure those through pref files in Unangband. The supplied example from dvg pref did not parse.
- Also added a hardcoded solution for town shop display. Some day I hope to display real houses there.

Info about the former WIP releases:
http://www.funkelwerk.de/forum/index.php?topic=386.0

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2010, 10:30:43 AM »
Colors makes it look more interesting. I think those grey tiles could be tweaked with some bricks tinted to brown and others to blue, it could be nicer than a concrete grey block.

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2010, 02:45:25 PM »
Due to using age old code in some places, some things can currently just be displayed monochrome (better said, in 8 shades of single color). I'm thinking about better solutions now and then, but I feel uncertain if it makes sense to update code from 1997, or use write it newly and use OpenGL right away (which would allow all sorts of color and lighting tricks, even hardware accelerated).

But you are right, the grey-in-grey is boring. Some day I'll make a decision and implement a better solution.

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »
Iso-Unangband WIP 5 is now available.

I like the new spell effects - similar to the former ones, but with a bigger "bang" factor ;)

Download

=> http://www.funkelwerk.de/data/iso-angband/releases/unangband-064-iso-wip5.zip (5.3 MB)

Images and sources are included. A windows executable is supplied, and two start scripts "start_large.bat" and "start_small.bat", as known from the former Iso-Angband releases.

Changes since WIP 4

- Cow image and config.
- Goat image and config.
- Emphasized spell effects images.
- Insect swarm image update.
- Faerie light image and config.
- Goblin image and config (leaving out the more special goblins).
- Ant image and config.
- Shrieker mushroom patch image and config.
- Mushroom patch config.
- Torch and lantern config.
- Dagger type weapon config.
- Sword type weapon config.

- Changed code to base display on p_ptr->wx/wy instead of px/py. I hope this will improve some of the problems with the (l)ook function, and maybe also some other display problems.
- Centered display better on player.