Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.4 released!  (Read 27915 times)

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.4 released!
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:23:22 PM »
Check it out, it seems great! It's compiling right now :)

http://crawl-ref.sourceforge.net/
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

AmnEn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup 0.4 released!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:59:10 AM »
Nice. I somehow missed the update.
I love Crawl/Stonesoup for being one of the very few roguelikes you can play properly on a Notebook (*cry* ffs rogdevs, don't ignore notebook users any longer... what'd we do to you? :|).

Valhalla

• Newcomer
  • Headphones <3
    • View Profile
    • Team 3 Software (Coming Soon...)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 07:23:21 AM »
Wha-?

A Roguelike that is easy for us Lappity Toppp users to play?!?

I'm definately checking this out...

Scautura

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • CyberRogue
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 01:49:32 PM »
It is?

Well, the tile version is easy, I just point and click where I want to go.
I haven't tried ye olde ASCII versione yet(e) (Yeti?)

I'm not sure most roguedevs (speaking from my own point of view) plan to prevent laptop users playing, it just so happens that the numpad (excluding VI keys - they don't make sense to most people) is most convenient for the average user.

At some point I'm hoping to make my controls part of the options, then you can choose whatever takes your fancy.
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the Universe together.
CyberRogue

AmnEn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 04:07:08 PM »

I'm not sure most roguedevs (speaking from my own point of view) plan to prevent laptop users playing

My sarcasm occasionally bites. I'm quite aware that they're not doing it on purpose. I bet most aren't even aware that numpad turns out to be a big problem for Notebooks. Still it is a nuisance to notebook users that can turn very interesting games into annoyances.
Solutions are simple, provide mouse support and if you frown on mousesupport for not being rlish simply make keys remappable.

Scautura

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • CyberRogue
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 07:19:38 PM »
My sarcasm occasionally bites.

I know exactly what you mean, as it's not always possible to get across a meaning in "flat" text, I end up with the same problems.

Since I'm half developing on a laptop, and half on a keyboard that doesn't even have a num lock (that's Logitech for you - my numpad keys are permanently numbers, and some software picks it up as "NumLock on+<number>+NumLock off" when you just hit a number), so I definitely get where you're coming from.
I'm not planning on the former (I'm having enough issues with the curses/Console crossover in Python Lindows/Winux... Errrrr, something like that), but nearer beta I do plan on the latter.
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the Universe together.
CyberRogue

AmnEn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »
Haha, I swear. Crawl oozes Karma. I create a new character, a vampire chaos knight of Lugonu. Those start in the abyss. So I go ahead and stroll around the abyss in hopes of finding something. I know I shouldn't be there yet. So after a few steps, I get onehit.
So I start again, stroll again. Onehit. I start another time and stumble across a +5/+4 Sabre, grab it and immediately depart the Abyss via the Ability. I laugh my ass off, go to engage the next enemy which just happens to be a snake which poisons me. I died. I stopped laughing and started swearing. :|

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 12:04:32 PM »
 ;D

Vampire Necromancer is a nice combination. When you eat a corpse, sometimes it'll leave a skeleton. Since you can cast animate skeleton right at the beginning you can start building an army at the same time you grow you undead army. The army has problems keeping up with you though, which is mighty annoying :\
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »

I'm not sure most roguedevs (speaking from my own point of view) plan to prevent laptop users playing

My sarcasm occasionally bites. I'm quite aware that they're not doing it on purpose.

Oh we do it on purpose alright, Muhahahahahaaaaaa! Infact my next roguelike will use the numpad only! Muhahahahahaaaaaa!  Evil, Eeeeviillllllll!
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 01:20:10 PM »

Oh we do it on purpose alright, Muhahahahahaaaaaa! Infact my next roguelike will use the numpad only! Muhahahahahaaaaaa!  Evil, Eeeeviillllllll!

Never trust an australian roguedev

AmnEn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 01:37:38 PM »
Well along came the hero and said "I just won't play it then" and lived happily ever after. ;D

stu

• Rogueliker
  • Moop!
    • View Profile
    • Stu's Rusty Bucket
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 02:26:33 PM »
Never trust an australian roguedev

thats because our numpad is upside down!
--/\-[ Stu ]-/\--