Author Topic: Clarion - The Open-World Graphical Roguelike  (Read 23007 times)

David Collins

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Clarion
    • Email
Clarion - The Open-World Graphical Roguelike
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:06:07 PM »
I'm new to the roguelike community, and I hope you'll have me. To enter with some pizazz, I present Clarion, a labor of love and months of hard work.

News, Info, and Download: http://clariongame.wordpress.com/

It still has a long way to go, but I've reached the point in development where I'm confident enough to start showing things off to a larger audience. Maybe I'll even gather a group of people who'll give good feedback. Clarion is still under heavy development, and not even 10% of the planned features are in yet, so keep up with the blog if this seems like your kind of game.

Here are the main features.
-Turn-based roguelike gameplay, with some quirky mechanics thrown in like "concentration" and "botch".
-Developed by an artist-and-programmer in one! The graphics serve the gameplay with an easily-readable cartoony presentation.
-Intuitive controls and UI. Forget that mess of hotkeys and endless menus.
-Large procedurally-generated world. Go dungeon diving, run along the coast, or explore a desert, and much more.
-Sound effects and voice acting. Catchy music by Blue Warrior: http://www.youtube.com/user/CobaltBW?feature=g-user#g/c/A1CFAF91C135D355
-A unique setting and story. Replace orcs, dwarves, and elves with screaming wurms, apes, and dinosaur men.
-Edible money!
-Emergent A.I. allows characters to get tired and go to sleep in beds, run away when injured, use doors, use any skill in the game, and do almost anything the player can.

Pueo

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Clarion - The Open-World Graphical Roguelike
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 10:20:30 PM »
From looking at the zip files, I think you did some good work.  Unfortunately, I run Lion.. so if you want to figure out how to make it run on more than Windows, I guess you could use me as a guinea pig  :D
{O.o}
 |)__)
   ” ”   o RLY?

David Collins

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Clarion
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 10:28:12 PM »
I'm sorry, but Windows will be the only supported platform unless a miracle occurs.

This is the kind of thing that happens when you sell your soul to the demons of programming and use Game Maker.
Although there IS an HTML5 version of GM. Maybe that'd be more portable. I don't have the cash to buy that license though, nor do I know if I can port Clarion to it.

I'll have to research that.

The_Piper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 10:57:07 PM »
I'm sorry, but Windows will be the only supported platform unless a miracle occurs.

Your miracle's name is WINE, i just tried your game under Linux with that emulator.

It was a little bit slow, but i have to confess, that i was running a lot of other stuff on my comp while trying it.

Will it give a try tomorrow again, without runnig excessive applications :D

Pueo

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 11:55:45 PM »

Your miracle's name is WINE, i just tried your game under Linux with that emulator.

It was a little bit slow, but i have to confess, that i was running a lot of other stuff on my comp while trying it.

Will it give a try tomorrow again, without runnig excessive applications :D

I guess I'll try that miracle.. if it works on Mac. Does WINE only work on straight UNIX?
{O.o}
 |)__)
   ” ”   o RLY?

The_Piper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:07:26 AM »
I guess I'll try that miracle.. if it works on Mac. Does WINE only work on straight UNIX?

From the english wikipedia:

"Wine is primarily developed for Linux, but the Mac OS X, FreeBSD, and Solaris ports are currently (as of January 2009) well maintained."

So it might be worth a try :)

(Sorry, i dont have access to mac's)

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 12:26:07 PM »
This looks very, very impressive and I wish it all the best traversing the wilds of Alpha and the quadmires of Beta---keep at it!   8)

Highly recommend getting a nice page up at Roguebasin and making sure it stays in the newest release column for best community visibility:

http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:28:34 PM by getter77 »
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

David Collins

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Clarion
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 06:39:58 PM »
So, they'll let me just edit it after signing up? They put a lot of trust in people.
Do I have to delete the oldest entry or...

Ah, I see. You edit it, then they check it apparently.

No wait. I just forgot to type "duke nukem"!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:12:13 AM by David Collins »

Chex Warrior

• Rogueliker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cacodaemonical
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 04:09:26 AM »
Games pretty cool, will definitely keep an eye on this. And, I love that music! Reminds me of EarthBound...

Brigand

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 04:02:04 PM »
Floating point error - division by zero

I am really curious to see this in action. I bought Gamemaker, too, mainly for how easy it is to do 2d graphics stuff, and GML is easy, but I don't like the fact you can't really make advanced data structures. Having 500 arrays (which you can't dimension) seems a bit clunky. Curious how to implement FOV in GM, too. Are you planning on showing your source code?

Thanks!

David Collins

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Clarion
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 08:09:09 PM »
Try updating your graphics drivers and/or directX. That seems to solve the division by zero error for some people.

I don't use arrays. I use the grid data structures built into GM. ds_grid_... etc. The data structure functions are precompiled like the A* ones I also use, so they're much faster than arrays.

As for implementing FOV...

I still have nightmares...

The LOS script traces a bresenham line from (x1,y1) to (x2,y2), checking tiles and objects that block visibility along the way, also checking for corners. If it makes it all the way to the end, it returns true, if it gets blocked on the way, it returns false. This makes it faster in tight places. This LOS script is inserted into the update_visibility() script for the player that lights up places you can see, and is also used for the A.I. to determine what they can see. update_visibility() calls LOS as many times as there are tiles within the player's view (only after he moves, thankfully), so it can get a bit slow once the player starts expanding their sight range too much. update_visibility() also determines which corner tiles are also highlighted depending on the edges of the tiles you can see.

I spared no expense in my attempts to optimize that set of algorithms. I probably wouldn't have needed to if I used Java or C++ instead, two languages I also use. GM is very slow.

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 10:50:40 PM »
When I saw that it was a graphical Roguelike, I was expecting to be disgusted, as I usually am, but your art is very good. This whole project looks good. I shall be watching.

AgingMinotaur

• Rogueliker
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 11:13:02 PM »
I didn't get it running in Wine on Debian Linux (which examplifies why the "miracle of wine" shouldn't be relied on), but got to try it under Windows.

As has already been said, the sprites are looking nice (some of them make me squint a bit, though). I also think the setting is refreshing, already with a unique feeling to it. You'll doubtless end up with a pretty cool world once you get it fleshed out some more. The fact that money=healing, is an interesting idea that works well (partly thanks to the pun cash/cashew, which also makes me think of ancient civilizations' use of cowry shells as currency).

I liked the simplicity of the interface. Binding all actions you'll ever need to just a few commands, makes the game easy to get into, without limiting the possibilities too much.

Some points of critisism/suggestions:

* Manual/command sheet/help: Although the interface is mostly easy to get into, it would be nice to have a manual or an in-game help. In particular, I didn't get how skills work. At first, I was really confused by leveling-up ("How do I fill empty skill slots?"), and when I finally learned a skill (distracting scream, or something like that), I didn't manage to activate it.

* Forced mixed mouse&keyboard interface. It would be nice if the game could be completely controlled using one or the other. Eg. pressing "Q" followed by a direction attacks in that direction, look command spawns a cursor that can be controlled with directional keys, etc. Similarly, clicking on a tile of the map could move (or better yet, autotravel) towards that tile.

* I find it a bit bland to explore mostly empty villages and wilderness areas. I guess this might solve itself once more content gets into place. I personally don't believe a CRPG-village needs a single empty house to fill it up. I'd rather explore a single screen village where every house has interest, than a four screen big village filled with mostly empty houses and "decorative" NPCs. An idea for the wilderness could be to have random encounters (à la ADOM or TOME, but maybe even neutral/friendly encounters).

* Likewise, the dungeon crawling bit could be made more exiting. It was a lot of "explore labyrinth, collect loot from chests and monsters, which must be bumped until dead, find  staircase, repeat". I found pleasure in discovering new monsters and items, but the monsters didn't feel *that* different from eachother except for armor and attack values. Their special attacks didn't seem to change the pace of battle significantly.

* The game lags quite a bit! This was on a one year old eee pc of modest power. In the dungeon, it wasn't so bad, but in the village and wilderness the delay between each turn must have been a bit more than a second.

* My first character seemed to spawn in a map without any villages. I may have just missed any places of interest or a narrow passage leading to a populated land … but if you don't think it too vulgar, you might consider something like starting the PC out adjacent to a guaranteed village/place of interest.

* My second character fared much better. After descending into a dungeon and strangling a Skykin with his bare hands, he found some cashews and placed a bet with a gambler. I lucked out, it seems, and got some kind of enchanted ax for 5 cashews. A problem was that it weighed a lot (25), so I had to leave other loot behind to hold on to it, all the while pumping experience into the strength stat to be able to carry more. Sad to say, this character died to what I presume was a bug: I left the first village after a while, first taking a nap in an empty bed I found, and ventured on to another village. On the way, I was informed that I was feeling "drowsy". Upon entering the second village, my stats sheet on the right was simply substituted by a giant crossbones, and I was not allowed to make any actions. I guess this means I'm dead, but I've no idea why.

That was focusing on what I think could become better. But all in all, I think this looks very promising. I get the impression you are planning on adding quests and other interesting stuff to do, and you already have a really nice framework in place. Keep up the good work!

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

David Collins

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Clarion
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 02:11:37 AM »
Thanks for those points! It helps me make the game better. Yes, there's a lot I have planned to fill the game with content, it's very bare right now, still getting some features in place that will make combat and exploration more interesting before I put in more content. And things like tutorials ,control options, balance adjustments, traps and other gimmicks to place in dungeons, random events and encounters etc. It's a lot to do, but I have the skill and content tools to put it together. I'm focusing on the journey rather than the destination to keep myself from burning out. Each fix, new feature, and piece of content I add keeps me motivated.

guest509

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
  I get a divide by zero error on start up...:-(
  Using Clarion v0_13