Author Topic: JADE  (Read 41980 times)

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
Re: JADE
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
About critizing ADOM for being "not as random"... ADOM contains some non-random stuff, but it also contains enough randomness. ADOM has fixed quests, but you can choose your strategy (the sequence of quests to take etc.) and then follow this strategy in what is essentially a random game, or change your strategy if the things change. If you add a glass of carrot juice to two spoons of pure alcohol, you still have more alcohol than in one spoon.

Gamer_2k4

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 08:15:49 PM »
Wowzah, from 70mb do 1.2? What did he do, leave it uncompressed? How long is the video?

It's over ten minutes, but you have to remember that most of the time the only thing that changes is the location of the @.
Gamer_2k4

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 10:33:27 AM »
It's nice to read Jade forums and see what features people want to add in Jade. Many of them are in Kaduria, but they don't even know that Kaduria exists. Fools:)

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 10:51:09 AM »
It's nice to read Jade forums and see what features people want to add in Jade. Many of them are in Kaduria, but they don't even know that Kaduria exists. Fools:)

Swim swim swim, look a juicy worm... Bite! 

If you really want to talk about it so much, release something (new) to get us all talking. Hell, release a movie of you playing it, I am sure many ppl would actually like that, that way you dont have to show the flaws just some of the reasons why you think it would be better than JADE.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 11:18:52 AM »
release a movie of you playing it

That would be a good way to show what kind of game it is. Now just wait for a couple of years..:)

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 12:19:22 PM »
After watching the movie, I got exactly what I thought it would be. Java ADOM with random world generation. Good. I liked adom, I guess JADE will be a familiar yet different experience for me.  This should be a game I could jump right into and straight away feel at home.  Lets see what the first incarnation is like.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 03:16:11 PM »

JADE feature list is just a definition of a Genroguelike, many in development, some of them are doing pretty well and may have a release in less than a year, some others just stay as a dream

Gamer_2k4

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 09:48:17 PM »

JADE feature list is just a definition of a Genroguelike, many in development, some of them are doing pretty well and may have a release in less than a year, some others just stay as a dream

Now with Dwarf Fortress, it's completely different.  People come up with stories they want to see play out in the game, and THE DEVELOPER MAKES IT HAPPEN.  I don't think he's human.
Gamer_2k4

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 01:56:57 AM »
Now with Dwarf Fortress, it's completely different.  People come up with stories they want to see play out in the game, and THE DEVELOPER MAKES IT HAPPEN.  I don't think he's human.

I don't usually do this, but quoted for truth ;)
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 09:58:37 AM »
Yeah but DF is not a playable game. Maybe if you are a space alien then you can understand what is going on in that.. thing.

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 04:23:45 PM »
Like many other things in life, it's one of those where you actually have to dedicate yourself a bit before you start getting the full enjoyment it can provide. Just because of the sheer amount of things you can do, it would be hard to implement an instantly intuitive interface.

Anyway.

</offtopic>
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

Rabiat

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 06:16:30 PM »
Despite my earlier comment about Dwarf Fortress, I've played it for a while and immensely enjoyed discovering the things you can do. I can see why people find it unplayable though; it requires a lot of patience to learn the controls, and some of the gameplay elements are extremely hard to figure out (building an indoor water supply and a lasting food stockpile to survive the first winter, for starters). Once you get past survival, it's a very rewarding game to play.

Plus, DF is a software engineering masterpiece. JADE has the same potential, and at least Biskup shows a similar persistence in developing it. JADE is supposed to provide a lot more complexity than ADOM, but I sincerely hope the learning curve isn't going to be as steep as DF's (or even Incursion's). Adams took the risk of scaring away thousands of potential players when he created a unique work of bizarre genius. JADE however is a game in a tradition of roguelike RPGs, and if it is to meet the expectations of ADOM fanatics, it can't afford to do the same.