Author Topic: JADE  (Read 41981 times)

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
JADE
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
Have you seen the new video? I was not that impressed. Jade seems to be much like ADOM, only bigger. The city is quite big, almost made me laugh when he zoomed to view it entirely. Also looks boring, but you never know.. I guess it depends how nice the gameplay content really is.

Maelstrom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: JADE
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:52:32 PM »
I saw nothing interesting in video, except big city.

I wonder how Biskup would populate such cities.

Rabiat

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 07:41:25 PM »
The interface looks pretty neat compared to ADOM, and the engine appears to be up and running. Given Biskups ambitions with JADE, it's no small feat if the thing doesn't collapse under its own weight in the next couple of months. He must've given thought to that, even if there are no results to show for it yet.

Also, I like the look and scale of the wilderness map. I always thought the map scale of the wilderness in ADOM was too large. The dungeons are too similar to ADOM for my taste, though. I was hoping to see some variety.

The city looks ridiculously large (nearly identical to a screenshot Biskup posted some years ago, btw). It could work, if it's going to have named districts/streets and coherent population. City size seems to kill performance, though.

I'm curious about NPC advancement and random quests, and whether they'd make a great game. In this stage of development, I hope Biskup shows some restraint and doesn't create the Unlimited Universe of Unplayability. I mean, Incursion is an enjoyable game if you're an insomniac statistics teacher, and Dwarf Fortress simply rocks once you've actually quit your job to study key bindings.

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 08:27:45 PM »
70 mb? I'll wait until there's a youtube upload ;)
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 09:37:25 PM »
Incursion is an enjoyable game if you're an insomniac statistics teacher, and Dwarf Fortress simply rocks once you've actually quit your job to study key bindings.
Haha :D

stu

• Rogueliker
  • Moop!
    • View Profile
    • Stu's Rusty Bucket
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 12:44:24 AM »
some of the comments in his thread are pretty hilarious. and unless you can fill that city with people or something interesting.. yawn. same for the world map.

apart frmo being java I didnt really see anything interesting.. and I had thoughts of omega whilst watching the video...

--/\-[ Stu ]-/\--

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 02:06:21 AM »
1. On video start, we get a glimpse of JADE at IntelliJ which gives us some insight on the structure of the program, it seems to be a flexible take on Actions and Brains, clearly seeking to fulfill his notes about similarities between player and monsters as well as a structured action model.

2. From what I can get on the video, JADE is currently looking like ADOM++ running on Java, with a bigger randomly generated overworld, and levels pretty similar to what Adom stablished as standard for ADOMLikes (some dead like Legend of Saladir and Avanor)

3. The world generator gives pretty impressive results, people tends to forget producing a generator like this is never easy.

4. The UI looks flexible and the display choices are interesting.

5. I love the world generator

6. I am wondering about memory consumption, as a Java programmer :P

7. We must have in mind this is just 0.0.7

8. The town is toooo big, I agree... but I recall him saying sometime it would be like a lot of dungeon levels put  in one alone?

9. Some music would have been nice :P

10. I am happy the JADE engine has reached such maturity level, which puts him apart from the talkie talkie and genroguelikes category! what we have here is basically ADOM, but (I guess) better written and without the spiky bites of code that compose a roguelike through the years, which is a feat on itself. I hope he can start implementing the unique features to make it for an interesting gameplay experience :)

Lavastine

• Rogueliker
    • MSN Messenger - Anosbrots@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 04:43:42 AM »
I happy to see him working on it, but I figure that it's really to early to decide whether its going to be interesting/fun yet. He just started so why bash him for making an uninteresting game?

The only issue I have is that I don't really see why he bothered to release a video this early.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 06:47:17 AM »
He just started so why bash him for making an uninteresting game?

He started making Jade in 2000.

ido

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Tame Tick
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 09:00:05 AM »
Did the city seem a bit too "square" to anyone else? Real cities just don't look that way.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 12:34:20 PM »
Well, thats probably because handling square things is easier on discrete low resolution 2D grids like roguelikes use. There was a recent game (Urban Warfare) which allowed rotozooming and while it looked cool, it made things harder to navigate :)

BUT, I agree... perhaps doing oblique irregular roads and placing more open features instead of building would make it look much better than a buncha squares pieced together.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 11:06:50 PM »
Did the city seem a bit too "square" to anyone else? Real cities just don't look that way.

In my experience dungeons just dont look like that either....  Dude, its a game!  And its berely alpha.  If he spent more time on city gen then there would be no game. Things like that should be modified once a working beta comes out and it is apparent that the city layout is either not fun or not realistic enough even for a rl. Cheers.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Gamer_2k4

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 09:48:50 AM »
70 mb? I'll wait until there's a youtube upload ;)

Actually, you can get some pretty wicked RAR compression:
http://reptoran.rogueforge.net/files/jade-007-video.rar (1.2 MB)

EDIT: The link works properly now.

And to all the people who said, "It just looked like a bigger version of ADOM," guess what? That's EXACTLY what it is.  The name means Java Ancient Domains Engine.  In other words, it does all that ADOM does, except it's in a different language and allows for more stuff.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 01:49:23 AM by Gamer_2k4 »
Gamer_2k4

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 01:30:10 PM »
Wowzah, from 70mb do 1.2? What did he do, leave it uncompressed? How long is the video?

Anyway, ADOM isn't so bad. Not as random, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, it just gives you a different way to play. It's also nice that it has several dungeons with different properties you can delve into, and that you can try different approaches to the same game every time you play.
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 02:01:22 PM »
That's EXACTLY what it is.  The name means Java Ancient Domains Engine.

I hope it's more than just ADOM. I want someone to rival Kaduria.