Author Topic: New project?  (Read 22317 times)

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
New project?
« on: May 15, 2011, 09:52:30 AM »
I'm bored with my current projects. It could be nice to do something else to keep the interest. Any ideas? I've thought of re-programming some old school C roguelike to C++, but Nethack is out of question, the source code is too messy and big.

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: New project?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:30:57 AM »
You could roam around the Roguelike graveyard and practice some necromancy.

http://www.graveyard.roguelikedevelopment.org/

There might be a C Roguelike around there that you could re-program into C++ easily, as much of what is there is not particularly large.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »
Roguebasin's defunct games seems to hold more recent list. Maybe I'll find something. If there is a basic "engine" ready then it could be cool to add some content.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:04:44 AM »
If you have played and liked someones game in the past, and it has not been developed lately, chances are it is now defunct.  Ask them for the code.  I know, all my games are in a semi-defunct stage, and would happily give the code over to someone for a small chance it would be developed more, there are probably lots of developers like this.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:35:20 PM »
I know, all my games are in a semi-defunct stage, and would happily give the code over to someone

Are they C/C++?

corremn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 01:44:02 AM »
While I was not really volunteering my games, you are quite welcome to attempt to take them over.  As is anyone!

C++, SDL, openGL, freetype2 lib, and currently build with MSVC++8 or express.  I have noticed that I dont actually have the code for these games up yet, I must do that. I can email the code to anyone who wants it.

List of semi-defunct games ->Warlocks Mountain,  Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Troll Slayer and StarCraft: Rogue Mercenaries.
http://users.adam.com.au/savre/

I started to develop Warlocks Mountain but never really got back into it.

SewerJacks is always looking for a new developer but I would expect them to a BloodBowl and Warhammer fan. (and from what I remember is you dont actually like the game :) )
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 10:04:16 AM »
I could try my luck with Troll Slayer, if it's ok to you that the game will be changed to entirely something different.

dephbokks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 11:24:11 AM »
I could try my luck with Troll Slayer, if it's ok to you that the game will be changed to entirely something different.

What will the subject matter be? I give one vote for something other than fantasy. I'd love to see a roguelike in the Wild West or some other neglected setting.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 03:18:25 PM »
I'd love to see a roguelike in the Wild West or some other neglected setting.

Well I wasn't planning that kind of change. Just some changes to graphics, maybe slightly better UI. Few monsters more and that's it!

corremn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 12:41:33 AM »
Sounds good to me, I will upload the code or email it. 

What IDE do you have, I assume you are using Visual Studio/Express.  I have version 8 project files, I can create version 9 aswell.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 07:07:07 AM »
VS Express v10. I guess it can load older project files also.

corremn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 08:22:38 AM »
Here is the source

http://users.adam.com.au/savre/bin/TrollSlayer04-source.zip

Ok, so i dont need to say how much of a mess it is in.  

You have to set the debug version to run in the source directory not the project one.
And usually there are problems going from visual studio versions, usually some piece of code suddenly crashes.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 08:48:05 AM by corremn »

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 10:19:58 AM »
Ok, so i dont need to say how much of a mess it is in.

I need to say something. It's really worse than I thought.. but if I can get it to compile and run there might be chances to repair it as much as possible. It sure has things that I hate: overusing templates, Microsoft specific stuff (for no reason), precompiled headers, quite lot of commented out code (that's really bad actually, because no one can tell if it's needed later or not). Maybe the worst part is total lack of data-driven design.

On the other hand, it's the gameplay that matters most. If I can understand the source code in the first place it's possible to improve the gameplay.

corremn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »
It is a 7drl and I dont like data driven design.  The source code base is probably too complicated, it really comes from another project and then hacked in 7 days to get a working game (5 times).  This is why I generally dont release my code, but I have gone beyond caring, its a mess but it works, fixing it just takes time I dont have.

All commented out code can be deleted, precompiled headers can be turned off, MS stuff sucks - I am in the process of removing most of that stuff.  I hardly use templates IIRC, I have made some really bad design decisions with monster and item classes, they will most likely confuse you.

Hi

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 04:03:52 PM »
if you're bored with your current project you could make a small release, other people's perspective could help renew your interest.