Author Topic: Rogue: The Card Game  (Read 10539 times)

guest509

Rogue: The Card Game
« on: March 05, 2011, 11:31:52 PM »
  So I am making CardRL for the 2011 7DRL competition. It's a remake of the original Rogue as a card game. Tactical decisions end up being very close to the original. Should I take this armor off, should I flee, stay and fight, zap that wand, to quaff or not to quaff?

Not your typical thing you see here but I was burnt out a bit on coding and wanted a game to play with my friends in real life. Hope you guys dig it.

I am not that great of a Rogue player, so if any of you guys have any favorite tidbits from the game you want included that I may have missed feel free to post them here. I'll be play testing in a day or two.

EDIT - Finished the 7DRL release: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GCQK7ONP

AgingMinotaur

• Rogueliker
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
Re: Rogue: The Card Game
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »
Wand of polymorph: Choose a card, and replace it with a card you draw from the deck?

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:52:36 AM »
Cool, Rogue: the Cardlike!

guest509

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 04:09:51 AM »
  Yeah I think that might be the final title. "Card-like"

All items, traps and creatures are included from Rogue. Plus some of the ones that were only in some versions. Like the Kestrel and Griffin and Medusa.

Wand of Polymorph: Discard target monster and replace it with the next monster from the deck. Cross fingers.

Game play is simple. Start with 5 random item cards. Draw 3 cards from the deck (simulating a ROOM). Deal with traps first, then kill monsters (if you can), then pick up any items/treasure. You may flee before combat but must discard a card.
  Kill monsters by rolling dice equal to your attack attribute (weapons and items increase this). Keep the highest die. Roll over the monster's combat value to kill it. If you miss it then it counter attacks, in which case you roll a number of dice equal to your defense attribute, keep the highest die roll. 1-4 they hit you and bad things happen (lose cards, turn to stone, etc...). Roll 5+ on your defense roll and the enemy misses you.
  You can then decide to continue the fight or flee. In which case you can attack again or flee (end your turn).
   Wands are kind of fun in that if you roll doubles your wand fizzles out and dies.

If you have the Amulet you cannot flee from combat. You have to get all the way through the deck and survive WITH the Amulet in order win the game. In multiplayer the person with the highest score at the end wins. Monster's killed (1) + Sacks of Gold (3) + Amulet (10) equals your final score.

I'll post a play test version here soon. I'm clarifying the rules and making the cards now.

The cards are easy because there are no graphics.   :-)

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
  • Im in ur rougeliekz, pixelling ur tielz!
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:21:13 AM »

Wow, this sounds ultra cool, I love card games X3

How big is the deck going to be? Is every card going to appear in any given game, or is it something like...
there's a pool of X cards and for every game you shuffle let's say 80% of X? or is there an independent chance check of any drawing any card?

Fantabulous idea, I'm so going to play it when you release it.
The invisible hand is a lie, the fiendish dogma of the market cultists. Lest the apostasy grows strong, their blood god will devour each and everyone, pious and infidel alike.

guest509

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:48:23 PM »
  There are 36 monsters and 90 items (including the amulet), plus 6 hunger cards. Each card is unique and you'll shuffle them all into the deck each time. So if you make it all the way through you'll end up seeing every card. That doesn't mean you'll get to use every card though because many will be discarded as you flee from monsters.

Every item from Rogue is included as well as every monster. There were only 26 monsters in each version of Rogue but I included all the monsters from every version. Minus the Kestrel and Emu. Because they seriously suck.

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
Wow, sounds cool. I'm so going to play it :D

edit: do you care to explain more about the rules system? :3
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:29:31 PM by Psiweapon »
The invisible hand is a lie, the fiendish dogma of the market cultists. Lest the apostasy grows strong, their blood god will devour each and everyone, pious and infidel alike.

AgingMinotaur

• Rogueliker
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:41:04 PM »
the Kestrel and Emu [...] seriously suck.
W00t? The Kestrel and Emu are maybe the coolest RL monsters, like, evvah.

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 01:14:26 AM »
the Kestrel and Emu [...] seriously suck.
W00t? The Kestrel and Emu are maybe the coolest RL monsters, like, evvah.

As always,
Minotauros
X____D

guest509

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 11:38:51 PM »
  Okay I'll put them back in. Lol. The rules are simple.
  Set Up: Draw 5 items from the deck. Shuffle deck.
  Play Sequence
       Draw 3 cards. Place them face up on the table.
          -Traps hit you first. Then fight any monster. Then pick up any items.

Monsters fights involve rolling dice to hit the monster, if you hit them you kill them. If not they counter attack you, roll on the defense table. Roll of 1-4 is not so good (lose cards), roll a 5-6 and take no damage. Items will help with the hit roll or defense roll.
  You can also flee before combat if you don't think you can handle the monsters, but must discard an item.
  When bad things happen you generally lose a card or 3. Run out of cards and you die.
  The real flavor comes in the variety of cards and stuff.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 01:30:05 AM »
Yeah, kestrel is cool! Much better than the usual bats and rats. Emu is kind of weird, though.

A slighty related note. There were some plans on the IVAN forums to create a card game based on IVAN, and two guys started working on that (independently). I don't know if they had any success.

guest509

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 10:37:31 PM »
  Just finished. Posted it to mega upload. Guess I'll make an Announcements thread. I included the Kestral and Emu. :-)