Author Topic: Kingdom of Loathing  (Read 11104 times)

Xecutor

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Kingdom of Loathing
« on: September 23, 2010, 02:43:08 PM »
Anyone playing KoL?
www.kingdomofloathing.com
It's really fun turn based browser rpg game :)
Somewhat multiplayer.

It's really hard to describe it.
Classes, items, quests, everything is hilarious.

Eudoxus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kingdom of Loathing
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 04:35:23 PM »
I'm a huge fan.  When I first started playing I figured the game would entertain me for a few hours.  Three years later and I'm totally addicted. :)  (My user name in KoL is the same as my name on these forums.)

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 05:00:59 PM »
I have to try this one because the thing I liked the most about Metroplexity was its general combat/skill/inventory/cards system, and if I remember correctly that system was inspired by KoL's.
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 07:52:26 PM »
This game might warrant my attention.

Fenrir whips out a notebook and a pen from some vague recess of his fur.

For those of you who do play it, what parts did you like the most and why?

EDIT:
For that matter, for those of you who play text-based browser-based games in general, what do you like about your favorite game and why?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 08:48:31 PM by Fenrir »

Hi

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 02:01:46 AM »
I really liked it because there was so much to discover, but after I learned that there was no meaningful way to cause any impact on the world it just wasn't appealing anymore.

Eudoxus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 03:07:50 AM »
I have to try this one because the thing I liked the most about Metroplexity was its general combat/skill/inventory/cards system, and if I remember correctly that system was inspired by KoL's.
The card system was the first thing I noticed in Metroplexity that really distinguished it from KoL.  Still, if you like Metroplexity you will probably like KoL, as it was definitely inspired by KoL.

For those of you who do play it, what parts did you like the most and why?
One of the great things about KoL is how many different ways you can enjoy the game.  First of all, there's a lot of text accompanying the stick figures, and the writing is fantastic.  Tons of pop culture references and great jokes.  And somewhat obscure references, anywhere from Gravity's Rainbow to Gilbert and Sullivan to Nethack (not obscure to this crowd :) ).  Second, the community is awesome.  It's a diverse group of folks who are, for the most part, very friendly and smart.  Third, the actual gameplay is well balanced and lends itself to many play styles.  You can play as lazily as you want, or you can compete in the "speed ascension" game where you try to get through the core game in as few days & turns as possible.  You can play with special hardships imposed on yourself for certain rewards.  You can also play in the clan dungeons which are the closet thing thing that KoL has to a multiplayer experience (it's mostly a single player game with a chat panel and active forums, but there is some interaction in the clan dungeons).  Fourth, there's a very vibrant economy.  Fifth, there are world events with special content, such as the much loved Crimbo season in December.  Sixth, the dev team (which is very small) is very active with the playerbase.  They post frequently on the forums, they do two radio shows a week (there's actually a 24 hour KoL shoutcast with music and contests), and they even hold a yearly con.  I could go on and on...