Author Topic: Goblin Camp  (Read 11498 times)

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Goblin Camp
« on: July 14, 2010, 07:20:27 PM »
Goblin Camp has just had its first public release.

It's an attempt to make a Dwarf Fortress-style game without some of the problems DF has.  One of the major draws is the intuitive, mouse driven interface, as shown here.

I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but it looks promising.

zackhovatter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Goblin Camp
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 08:09:04 PM »
This looks absolutely awesome.

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 10:31:33 AM »
It's pretty bare bones right now, but the mouse-based interface is very nice.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 12:26:01 PM »
The modding contributions for this are already exploding in good order both on the GC forum and via SomethingAwful.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
I was wondering when the Dwarf-Fortress clones were going to start popping up. What are we going to call this emergent genre? I'm thinking "Dwarflikes."

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »
I was wondering when the Dwarf-Fortress clones were going to start popping up. What are we going to call this emergent genre? I'm thinking "Dwarflikes."

I think "DF-like", or something similar, was the reckoning elsewhere.   :D  That said, this DOES aim to be a different beast than DF with influences like the Anno, Dungeonkeeper, etc games being a heavy skew, not going into the deep material physics realm for combat and the like, and so on.  Given the open nature, no telling what odd directions forks could take this and that either.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 04:38:13 AM »
"Fortlikes" sounds better to me.

I'm not convinced it needs to be its own genre named after Dwarf Fortess though, since it's just a strategy sim combined with a roguelike.  We don't call fps/rpg hybrids "Deus Ex-likes" or anything like that, we just call them fps/rpg hybrids.

Edit:

The stock manager is a really convenient, intuitive way of getting your goblins to do what you want.  A way of setting priorities might be nice though.

Basically, don't queue up 12 million tasks for the future like you might in Dwarf Fortress, because the goblins seem to tend to work together on them one at a time instead of dividing and having each goblin do something different.  That means that whatever ends up at the bottom of the list is going to have to wait a while.

Edit 2:

I'm having a difficult time producing enough pie to keep my goblins fed.  Got any tips for how to produce food more efficiently?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 02:38:01 AM by Vanguard »