Author Topic: Teemu v1.11  (Read 12365 times)

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Teemu v1.11
« on: May 22, 2010, 08:37:40 AM »
http://koti.mbnet.fi/paulkp/teemu/teemu.htm

Decided to fix the delete[] bug in Tar_Ball::Load. Also applied the changes that aave did for linux port. I hope I got them right.. That's it, no features added, just a quick bug fix release. Also included the makefile aave created for linux (in source code release).

mariodonick

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • LambdaRogue .:. roguelike RPG
Re: Teemu v1.11
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 08:49:14 AM »
Thanks for the effort, Krice. :)
https://mariodonick.itch.io/lambdarogue-the-book-of-stars
-- LR: The Book of Stars graphical roguelike RPG

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 06:22:47 AM »
There is actually one thing I like about this game. It's the way rng creates different amount of items from quite large scale. I think it could be nice to just add more item and monster types to make more differences, and I think there could be more variations in monster packs. Let's say sand crabs on beach. I think sometimes there could be different kind of monsters created and no sand crabs at all. It becomes boring very fast to know that there is going to be sand crabs each time.

I've been playing Teemu at work and it's not that bad game. Just a bit boring, mainly because of small amount of random stuff.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 11:26:46 AM »
Damn hell I died in the pirate cave. I let myself get surrounded by two spiders and iguana. Now when I added the possibility that when you throw something it doesn't always hit, and of course the spider dodged one of the bones I threw at it.

mariodonick

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 04:50:53 PM »
Oh, I don't think the RNG creates enemies in a boring way -- one time, I had the main island full of enemies, but none  at the beach, and another time, i only had monkeys at the beach, but no sand crabs, and no monsters on the main island. I found this very good, actually.

Edit: It's a good sign that you're playing your own game ;)

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 05:17:17 AM »
but no sand crabs

I think the pack amount can be zero sometimes, but the only pack monster of beach is sand crab. Maybe I just need to add more monster types to get things less predictable. While the locations are fixed I think there could be differences in buildings and sometimes extra buildings made.

It's a good sign that you're playing your own game ;)

I'm playing it mainly to discover what could be improved in the next version. Maybe some day I can actually enjoy when I play Teemu:)

mariodonick

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 07:05:58 AM »
but the only pack monster of beach is sand crab.

I checked again, perhaps I was wrong about the monkeys, but rats and chickens don't count as monsters? (okay, they don't attack by themselves, but still ...)

However, I still got surprised often enough, so it _is_ fun.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 09:33:06 AM »
I checked again, perhaps I was wrong about the monkeys, but rats and chickens don't count as monsters?

Two types of creation used. First one is common monsters which could create something like monkeys or chickens. Then there are special pack monsters like sand crabs in beach or seagulls at the top of lighthouse. But the whole creation system could be made more dynamic and data-driven, returning the monster type and amount for certain kind of level type or terrain. It could be even more automatic, like the generator detecting the amount of sand tiles and figuring out what creatures to make.

purestrain

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 08:17:54 AM »
I really like the look and feel of teemu; but didn't have time (or wanted) to play the game; mainly because of the "theme".

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 08:36:04 AM »
(or wanted) to play the game; mainly because of the "theme".

Don't like pirates? What kind of nerd are you?

AgingMinotaur

• Rogueliker
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 02:43:24 PM »
I just got around to trying the game. Thanks to aave for the Linux port. I currently reached the point where I become a pirate. Arr, arr! All in all, a nice little game, I would say. Pleasing to the eye, snappy interface and nice prose. "Seagulls fly far away, but you also feel a presence of dark, evil birds." :D (but should be "... sense the presence ..."?)

* Why two separate commands for "l"ook and "L"ook? You might as well merge them, starting out at your current position?

* I like the healing system, but haven't really found out the effects of being drunk? Does it mean that you sometimes are not allowed to make a move?

* When you pass over a stairway in darkness, it might be nice with to be notified with a message? Also, when you pass over objects, it would be nice to see: "There is a <foo> lying here."?

* That must be one _heavy_ copper key!

* With the current color scheme, the ogre cave is a bit hard to spot ...

* I'd probably enable savescumming if I were you. After all, it's not really a roguelike, so permadeath doesn't make that much sense ;)

* Hattifnatts! Wonderful. I love Jansson, and actually just added hattifnatt-like monsters to Squirm a couple of weeks ago, to be seen in the next release. (They're quite different from your beasts, though, as there is no system for light/darkness in Squirm.)

Are you still planning an official release for September, or is this it, basically?

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 04:10:32 PM »
* I like the healing system, but haven't really found out the effects of being drunk?

Should get confused (or even die when drinking too much..) but there could be more confusion sooner as trade-off of being healed.

Are you still planning an official release for September, or is this it, basically?

This is it, but who knows? Maybe I can make v1.2 to release in ARRP. Thanks for comments, those were good ones. I'm adding (most of) them in v1.2 to do list.

guest509

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 08:31:48 AM »
  For all of the arrogant comments I see you make I expected more. Still a good game, but I have trouble separating it from the author's piss poor attitude.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 08:44:14 AM »
For all of the arrogant comments I see you make I expected more. Still a good game, but I have trouble separating it from the author's piss poor attitude.

Oh, I'm so hurt now!

guest509

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 08:43:24 AM »
  Alright Krice I played your game again and it's pretty good. I have to admit being turned off by your keyboard warrior posts. But I guess you have to just ignore that sort of thing if you want to be part of a forum.
  So bravo on your work. Much respect for it.
  Fingers crossed I'll have something for you to tear apart in the next few months. :-)