Author Topic: Warhammer 40000: The Roguelike  (Read 45906 times)

Legend

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Warhammer 40000: The Roguelike
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »
Warhammer 40000 lore-in-a-minute :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeVxKZBOfM

I actually just saw that for the first time yesterday. Made me think of this thread. :)  Some of the other "...lore in one minute" are pretty funny too.

Ancient

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 07:49:24 PM »
Currently ASCII Dreams runs a poll on which upcoming roguelike game people look forward the most. I look at the titles and few seem familiar. All sound hardly exciting because none seems to qualify as a game true to roguelike spirit instead of a distant spin off.

I look forward to WH40K roguelike much more than all those titles Andrew named combined.
Michał Bieliński, reviewer for Temple of the Roguelike

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
  • Im in ur rougeliekz, pixelling ur tielz!
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 09:50:24 PM »
Hey corremn, don't forget that I'm willing to lend you a couple of hands if you want them!

(and also, just in time, I'm starting a slow comeback to the whole 40k thang)
The invisible hand is a lie, the fiendish dogma of the market cultists. Lest the apostasy grows strong, their blood god will devour each and everyone, pious and infidel alike.

guest509

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 03:27:21 AM »
  Don't do it PSI! You remember last time. When you spent all your money and lost your girlfriend.

NOTE: I'm just assuming PSI had the same experience with WH40K that I...er...most people have.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 06:29:06 AM »
Hey corremn, don't forget that I'm willing to lend you a couple of hands if you want them!

Yo Psiweapon sir,
Yeah your art was really inspiring.
I am getting back to this project after a few months away.   I am currently looking at using my existing code to do a 7drl. Don't expect any playable space marines though. Maybe they will feature as enemies, if you get my drift ;)  Maybe we could work together after the 7drl to do some gfx for it :) Should be a small contained scope. (as long as you dont mind swamps, fungus and squiggies)

Once I get the 7drl out of the way, I think I will concentrate on a working ASCII demo of WH40k RL to gauge player feedback.
I really need to define the scope of the game before I really require graphics.  I dont want to get part of a set, have to change them, want more constantly etc.  But if you feel like it you can whip up every race\class combo with every weapon\mutation possible,  cos that would be wicked awesome.  Shouldn't take you too long....

I have know people who have spent all their money on figurines and lose girlfriends. GW loves people who do that.

I am currently reading the Thanquol and Boneripper series.  That really makes me think-think that a warhammer game-rogue would of been a whole-much lot easier-simple to do-make.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:38:33 AM by corremn »
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »
Hey there!

I don't mind swamps, squigs, orks, whatever. I'm confident I can come up with sets like the ones I already gave you for whatever race / faction you need / want to feature.

I'm not a huge fan of space marines either, although I really like their design. But usually my sympathies don't rest with the Imperium of Man and their servants (salamanders being a honorable exception)
The invisible hand is a lie, the fiendish dogma of the market cultists. Lest the apostasy grows strong, their blood god will devour each and everyone, pious and infidel alike.

guest509

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 03:39:26 PM »
  I always liked the Catachan Jungle fighters. I still have an imperium codex around here somewhere. I took all of my stuff, books and painted figures, and marched down to the local hobby shop on Warhammer night and gave them to the first kid I saw there. Hundreds of dollars worth of figures. All painted. Like 5 years later I got into the fantasy version. Undead. Had to do that same thing.

I never really played much. I made my own games and rules. And it was still just way too much of a time and money sink.

I had 2 whole Battlefleet Gothic fleets as well. And a scratch built Ork Fleet.

Now I just make my own games and pieces. Cards make fantastic space ships, even if they are flat, and a little 2 dollar pack of plastic army men makes for a great table top battle whenever you want. I even wrote rules for that last one that work great. Simple. Called 'Floor Wars'.

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2012, 12:25:37 AM »
Wow man that's generosity.

corremn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2012, 01:01:08 AM »
Yeah it happens. I had a friend who gave away 6 extremely well painted Blood bowl teams.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »
I have a hard time throwing away any random piece of paper with some scribbling on it. I doubt I'd ever be able to do that.

guest509

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »
  You know it would be cool to do a Space Hulk style roguelike. Squad based and all of that. Maybe I'll do that next...

corremn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2012, 12:53:21 AM »
There is Alien Assault but it ain't no roguelike. Plus I *might* have that as a feature on this game, but then again maybe not :)

guest509

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 03:03:13 AM »
  For my next project I'm torn between an action RL, like a top down multiplayer co-op bash, or a squad based RL.

A squad based RL could go Space Hulk style or a sort of dungeon bang party. With point and click controls all around.

Believe it or not real time action games are easier to make in Gamemaker than turn based games. I have to sort of pause one side while the other side moves and do that back and forth. It's much easier to just let objects run around in real time doing whatever they want.

rsaarelm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »
I don't see why the inevitable C&D has to be such a problem. Just develop and publish the fangame in a way that can't be connected to your real-life identity in any way. Companies need a real person they can ask the police to drag to court for lawsuits to work, and if they can't find them, the C&D don't amount to much.

Web domains can get seized though, so figuring out how to keep the project discoverable in spite of this is left as an exercise for the reader.