Author Topic: Silly Americans  (Read 25026 times)

dungeonmans

• Newcomer
  • Crush monsters, get loots.
    • View Profile
    • Dungeonmans
    • Email
Silly Americans
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:08:24 PM »
So I know a lot of people in this scene are not from the States, and that it is fun to kind of sigh and shake your head at America when we do stupid things. Well don't feel lonely, because we do it too, more often than you might think.

There is someone running for Governor of Alabama (which is pretty much the worst state) and has an advertisement that looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ohsvJHkbY

Now this is a terrible idea, and I think everyone is aware of that. However, it started showing up in threads and comments from friends of mine who were angry about how stupid this guy was, and I decided to have a little fun with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZi6x_4OcCg&fmt=22

I wasn't sure if this was worth posting here, but since it seems the community here likes 1) funny things 2) laughing at dumb people, I figured this would go over well :)
Dungeonmans: The Heroic Adventure Roguelike! http://www.dungeonmans.com

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Silly Americans
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:50:06 PM »
Nicely done, and yes, there are those of us who comprehend the foibles in AmericaTown.  My own state of GA is better than Alabama...somewhat/sometimes....but.   :-[   Wasted potential is pretty well one of the USA's biggest failings.

While they have the history at the top, recent events in Arizona show them to be nipping at their heels for the title.

Always nice, somehow, to see political notions in a Roguelike context....needs to be more prevalent outside of the likes of Liberal City Crimesquad!
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

george

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:24:41 AM »
yes, nice work sir.  :)

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 12:29:27 AM »
So I know a lot of people in this scene are not from the States, and that it is fun to kind of sigh and shake your head at America when we do stupid things. Well don't feel lonely, because we do it too, more often than you might think.

Fenrir narrows his eyes at Dungeonmans and wrinkles his nose with distaste.

I'm not very fond of America-bashing, which seems to be a rather popular Internet pastime. We are not a nation of backward idiots, regardless of what the Europeans may think of us.

dungeonmans

• Newcomer
  • Crush monsters, get loots.
    • View Profile
    • Dungeonmans
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 12:34:10 AM »

I'm not very fond of America-bashing, which seems to be a rather popular Internet pastime.
[/quote]

Hahah, hey, easy tiger! I said "shake head and sigh," not bash. I'm just as American as you, and I think this is really funny. I guess I laugh at a lot of things though. It is exactly because I'm proud of the country that a fella like Tim James is worth mocking.

Anyway I just thought it was a fun parody.
Dungeonmans: The Heroic Adventure Roguelike! http://www.dungeonmans.com

Gravecat

• Newcomer
  • Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element!
    • MSN Messenger - gravecat@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gravecat666
    • View Profile
    • Gravecat: Blogging Like It's 1999
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 09:06:46 AM »
Heheh, nice parody there, two thumbs up. :)
My goals in life include world domination, buying a really cool hat, and travelling back in time in order to warn myself not to eat that potato salad.
SUDD: An all-new sci-fi/fantasy roguelike in the making!

ido

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Tame Tick
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:27:40 AM »
It's not "America bashing" it's Tim James bashing :p

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 04:23:10 PM »
It's not "America bashing" it's Tim James bashing :p
Silly Americans
His introduction made me suspect that it would become, as I rather crudely put it, America bashing. It would appear that my paranoia was unjustified. Carry on.

Fenrir bows his head, then turns and trots away.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 07:51:51 PM by Fenrir »

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 06:52:24 AM »
Americans should try real democratic system instead of two-party system where one is the ruling one at a time. I think it would help to make better political decisions. Americans shouls also look at their idea of law and fix it to western standards. For instance their patent laws. Americans are silly, but their actions are sadly reflected to everywhere. They need to get wiser.

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 07:50:05 AM »
Krice, how many political parties there are in Finland?

Here in Italy, just two. Back in the 50's, 60's, 70's there were dozens. Only one governed the nation (the CIA-financed Democrazia Cristiana, or Christian Democracy).

Now the italian situation is really similar to America: both parties are financed by bankers (Goldmann Sachs finances the "left" Partito Democratico and Rotschild the other, Polo Delle Libertà).. bankers who are financial partners in the american Federal Reserve.
The two parties positions are different only talking about social themes (gay marriages, abortion, immigrants..), but not global politics/economics aspects.
Newspapers and tv programs reflects the two sides, so there isn't a real choice and people aren't realizing what's going on. They come home from a day of work, turn on tv, read the newspaper, then talk politics with friends and say "fuck Berlusconi and all the fascist bastards!" or "fuck Bersani and those stupid communists!", and then watch football.

Is there in Finland a different situation?
I hope so, but I honestly don't think there is.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:00:17 AM by Skeletor »
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 08:17:58 AM »
Krice, how many political parties there are in Finland?

Eight (in parliament). Three of them could be considered major parties of left, center and right. I think Finland has (or had..) the best kind of political system with strong emphasis on social issues, but it has been changing to right and we can already see bad things happening here too (unemployment, homeless people etc.).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:19:55 AM by Krice »