Author Topic: USA foreign debt: $ 12.000.000.000.000 (12 million times a million $)  (Read 38362 times)

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
Re: USA foreign debt: $ 12.000.000.000.000 (12 million times a million $)
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 09:59:23 AM »
I've also often been wondering what happens with countries that cannot pay the interest rates anymore.

I never heard a country lost sovereignty because of dept - so I'm pretty sure that the US won't be "sold" to China. Usually I read the  creditors try to get into negotiations with the country, sometimes credits are waived altogether, sometimes payments are stopped for a time, until the country is stable enough again to pay back at least parts of the debt.

But for sure this is a very difficult state for a country to be in, because many outside people will try to get influence and control over otherwise internal affairs.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 12:39:55 PM »
Among other issues, and it has been awhile, but IIRC Germany was in pretty bad shape post WWI on the debt front and that surely contributed to their sad actions some years later...

That's an example of a worry for "rash" actions when such matters like debt get to insane levels.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 02:01:21 PM »

Could this happen again to the dollar?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 02:03:30 PM by Skeletor »
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 02:14:12 PM »
I don't really think so. I'd assume that politicians and finance experts learned from the past, that printing more money does not raise the wealth of a country, but only lowers the pay-power of a currency.

But, you know, forecasts are difficult, and particularly those about the future.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 02:36:03 PM »
That's the other screwed up part:  Moreso than in the early 20th century, much of the "debt" in terms of money that physically exists someplace and is owed to one entity or another---doesn't actually exist.  It is nebulous money, zeroes on a PC screen from people that rested on the key for far too long on purpose.  I would reckon there is only a fraction of tangible "wealth" the world over that would count towards these kind of gigantic debt numbers.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 03:58:19 PM »
That's the other screwed up part:  Moreso than in the early 20th century, much of the "debt" in terms of money that physically exists someplace and is owed to one entity or another---doesn't actually exist.  It is nebulous money, zeroes on a PC screen from people that rested on the key for far too long on purpose.  I would reckon there is only a fraction of tangible "wealth" the world over that would count towards these kind of gigantic debt numbers.

Very good point.
Sometimes I have the impression that what happened in Germany after the WWI (bankers who overprint money and buy everything from gold to propertys) is happening again in a different way.

What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »
Why do you you worry? Didn't you know that Jesus said that worrying it's not gonna change anything. It's better to do as he said, not to worry about tomorrow, since each day is gonna take care of itself and God is gonna provide for you for your soul and body. Like for instance I live in one of the poorest countries of Europe, I didn't know if I'd get a job, but thanks to God that he pointed to me the things above and have faith in him. So I did get one, even if I didn't finish university, and I'm paid more that I could think of. God's gonna do the same for you all. Thanks to him for that and for freeing me from unnecessary worries.

I'm very happy for you.
I hope you're right. We'll see.

____

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 02:03:09 PM »
Try it and see for yourselves. Of course, it's easier to believe what you see, because God is a spirit and can't be seen, but the good results of applying what Jesus said shows God exists and he is good. It's easier to do by our human nature: if you don't have something, to take it from somebody else, but you wouldn't like it if somebody took something of yours. This same way as you said Germany had tried to do, and you see the results - it was defeated, so revenge does no good. So Jesus was right about turning the other cheek, instead of hitting back.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 12:34:01 PM »
It's easier to do by our human nature: if you don't have something, to take it from somebody else

Europeans took a continent from native americans. I guess that was also a part of God's plan.

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 06:29:40 PM »
I'd assume that politicians and finance experts learned from the past, that printing more money does not raise the wealth of a country, but only lowers the pay-power of a currency.

Politicians never learn from anything.  Their own egos and preconceived notions come first, and scientific, historical, or statistical evidence are at best a distant second.  There are almost no exceptions to this.

____

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 07:47:08 AM »
It's easier to do by our human nature: if you don't have something, to take it from somebody else

Europeans took a continent from native americans. I guess that was also a part of God's plan.

Even if the Israel's people were chosen by God, they did turn away from God more than once, so their actions did produce the expected results from God's anger. Their land was conquered, while they were made slaves in foreign lands. Everybody is responsible for their questions before God. If I kill or steal and say God told me so, I'm lying since God's command was not to kill nor steal, it's also written that whoever raises the sword, will perish by it, and whoever makes captives, will be made captive. The nation that doesn't obey God, will destroy itself, because if they don't do as God commanded, it doesn't mean consequences wouldn't affect them, be it through other such people or natural disasters. A nation where at least 10 people obey God, will live longer than one that has none, remember Sodom and Gomorrha. If the indians follow God more than the descendants of european immigrants, surely God will return the Americas to them. But if in front of christians they pray to God, but at home to idols or minor spirits of their ancestors, surely their fate will be worse than that of Haiti.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 11:25:24 AM »
If the indians follow God more than the descendants of european immigrants, surely God will return the Americas to them.

I really like people who are too dumb to understand how dumb they can get, like you just did. It really proves that there is no God.

____

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 12:27:02 PM »
Haven't you heard what John the baptist told to pharisees coming to him:
"...O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
  Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham."
   Same thing about the quote you pointed and any nation.
And why do you like dumb people? You seem to like to prove that there is no God, what gain do you have in it? Other than not having bad deeds being uncovered I don't understand. But know that God is full of grace and can forgive any sin, except intentional blasphemy. In preaching I have my gain in forgiveness of sins and eternal life in God's kingdom, though God decides who will enter it. Can't God make dumb people believe and be saved? He made a donkey speak against a false prophet.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:17:56 AM by ____ »

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 02:00:28 PM »
Come on, Krice. You know better than to feed the trolls.