Author Topic: Rogue Expedition: Design notions  (Read 31045 times)

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Expedition: Design notions
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 12:46:59 AM »
As for "evolution is good" - that's entirely subjective.  Newer != Better.  Consumption culture is pushing the "new for new's sake" and it's unfortunate; there's plenty of good left in the old that's left unexplored. (yes, I'm one of those people that prefer turn-based ASCII....)
Just for the record: I had not intended to imply that I believed that "evolution is good." I'm a roguelike purist and a diehard ASCII fan.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 10:15:12 AM »
The original Diablo developers stated they owe Moria very much and had roguelikes in mind.

They were on drugs when they said that, obviously.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 10:16:10 AM »
It's not to say that Diablo is a roguelike. Rather, Diablo was built on fundamentals from that genre, and it is an evolution.

There is nothing fundamentally roguelike in Diablo.

dungeonmans

• Newcomer
  • Crush monsters, get loots.
    • View Profile
    • Dungeonmans
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 02:52:44 PM »
I know you're trolling me, but what adventurer worth the name doesn't relish setting trolls on fire?

Anyway, I have this "short but comprehensive" list of things that makes a Roguelike. Maybe you've seen it. Now I know I'm the new guy here, so maybe I don't understand what this means.

http://www.roguetemple.com/roguelike-definition/

If I had to compare Diablo to those standards, it would look like this:

yes
yes
no
yes
no
sort-of

yes
yes
no

yes
yes
no
yes

So I guess what you mean when you say
There is nothing fundamentally roguelike in Diablo.
Is "The guidelines that Roguetemple has for what makes a roguelike are wrong, because Random Environment Generation, Permadeath, and a Single Command Set are not roguelike fundamentals."
Dungeonmans: The Heroic Adventure Roguelike! http://www.dungeonmans.com

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 12:38:54 PM »
Is "The guidelines that Roguetemple has for what makes a roguelike are wrong, because Random Environment Generation, Permadeath, and a Single Command Set are not roguelike fundamentals."

If you take a bunch of features it doesn't become a roguelike, if it's not in the proper context. Diablo is an action RPG and it's really so much different than roguelikes that I can't understand how someone can think it is a roguelike.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 02:20:22 AM »
Anyway, I have this "short but comprehensive" list of things that makes a Roguelike. Maybe you've seen it. Now I know I'm the new guy here, so maybe I don't understand what this means.
http://www.roguetemple.com/roguelike-definition/
What makes a roguelike is free for everyone to interpret. Krice is pretty hardcore when it comes to it, so I don't think he fully supports the Roguetemple definition (or the Berlin definition, which is closely related to it). He even says 7DRLs are not real games! still, we like to have him around.

Anyhow, in the past we have scored the roguelikeness of a game based on the roguetemple definition (3 points for high valued factors, 2 for middle and 1 for low), your game would then score 9+4+3 = 16/28 = 57% of roguetemple-roguelikeness....

... which doesn't mean much, 20% is interesting enough for discussing such a game here :)

So, welcome (a late welcome, I know :))