Author Topic: The Roguelike News Grab - A digest of news from the roguelike community.  (Read 28766 times)

joe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I have just begun The Roguelike News Grab, in an attempt to make discovering the most newsworthy roguelike information easier and less time-consuming. A few times a week, I will make concise posts summarising and linking to the most important articles, discussions, and game releases. Subscribe to the RSS feed to stay updated.

Please feel free to send links or comments to me, Joe, at jwalker.joe@gmail.com.
The Roguelike News Grab - A digest of news from the roguelike community.

mariodonick

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • LambdaRogue .:. roguelike RPG
Good luck and may you have more endurance than previous attempts :)
https://mariodonick.itch.io/lambdarogue-the-book-of-stars
-- LR: The Book of Stars graphical roguelike RPG

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
I also say this is awesome and good luck.  Be sure to stalk Elderlore regularly to help track some things in a consolidated manner.

http://www.elderlore.com/en/category/planet-roguelike
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
And be sure to announce it on r.g.r.a and r.g.r.m.  Hope it goes well - I'll be keeping watch  :)

joe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks for all your encouragement. I've just made my first "news grab" digest post, but am still working out the format and what to include. As per your suggestion, Darren, I've made posts to the newsgroups. Also, Elderlore is definitely a great news source.

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Thy siglink is busted joe.

Also, liked the first newsgrab!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:06:07 AM by getter77 »
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
Very interesting! Also, I like the style of the entries.

joe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
The Roguelike News Grab has been up for 9 days now and has received almost 300 hits. The form of the News Grab is still very much in an experimental stage, and I have decided to start making fewer, longer posts (about two or three per week,) which I think better suits its nature as a news digest. I plan to work out a more regular posting schedule soon and would appreciate feedback on how readers feel about post frequency, length, and style.

george

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
I guess my question is who do you see as the readership of the Grab?

Coincidentally I started a similar site as yours around the same time (a couple of weeks ago), but for interactive fiction. I've been posting weekly. I see my readers being people who don't follow the IF sites as frequently as I do, but still want to stay on top of the notable news. A subset of this group is people who do hang out at one or two of the bigger IF sites, but don't visit or have feeds for the many smaller sites out there. My goal is to bring all these sites together and glean the interesting and notable news for the service's readers.

So to bring it back to the Grab -- I already have feeds for much of the RL stuff that you're pulling in, but I imagine many people don't. How frequently do you think these folks will want to check out the digest? In my opinion more than twice a week is probably unnecessary.

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Slower pacing seems fine to me at that rate, and the style is still quite nice by my reckoning.  Keep doing as you do I say!   8)
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Being one of those people who doesn't keep a very close eye on things, I'm liking this. Keep it coming.

....the fact that negative feedback about the game is centred on the use of the XNA library rather than its graphical nature shows that the RL community now considers graphical games just as roguelike as ASCII ones.
That is a rather big leap there, and I don't believe that there is any reason to draw the conclusion that the RL community now considers graphical games just as roguelike as ASCII ones.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:26:54 AM by Fenrir »

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
Two or three updates a week are good, I think. I drop by only now and then, and try to see what was happening. I have no good access to r.g.r.d anymore, so it's nice to read the reports on your site of what is going on there.

Gravecat

• Newcomer
  • Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element!
    • MSN Messenger - gravecat@gmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gravecat666
    • View Profile
    • Gravecat: Blogging Like It's 1999
Very nice! As someone who absent-mindedly loses track of things often and relies a lot on RSS to keep track of goings-on, this is a godsend to me. :) Keep up the great work!
My goals in life include world domination, buying a really cool hat, and travelling back in time in order to warn myself not to eat that potato salad.
SUDD: An all-new sci-fi/fantasy roguelike in the making!

mariodonick

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • LambdaRogue .:. roguelike RPG
So when will you post the next update?
https://mariodonick.itch.io/lambdarogue-the-book-of-stars
-- LR: The Book of Stars graphical roguelike RPG

dungeonmans

• Newcomer
  • Crush monsters, get loots.
    • View Profile
    • Dungeonmans
    • Email
So when will you post the next update?

Hey don't rush him! Or... it could just be that I like having Dungeonmans as the first article :)
Dungeonmans: The Heroic Adventure Roguelike! http://www.dungeonmans.com