Author Topic: New roguelike: BOSS (v3.0.1)  (Read 12567 times)

PineappleComputer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: New roguelike: BOSS (v3.0.1)
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2024, 10:52:41 AM »
I agree the implementation of computers isn't great, but I'm at a bit of a loss of how to improve it. If I made it harder to get the better computers, that would just be frustrating. I considered letting the user blank disks and copy them, but thought that would just result in a lot of 'busy work' that wouldn't be fun. If you have any ideas on how to improve the way computers work, I'd be really interested to hear them.

Blank disks is cool idea. Traders can't restock goods, so "selling then buying" procedure for identifying items is more boring procedure than copying id disks IMHO.

PlunderBunny

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • BOSS Roguelike
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2024, 07:55:35 PM »
I considered letting the user blank disks and copy them, but thought that would just result in a lot of 'busy work' that wouldn't be fun.

Blank disks is cool idea. Traders can't restock goods, so "selling then buying" procedure for identifying items is more boring procedure than copying id disks IMHO.

I'll keep thinking about the blank disks to see if I can make it fun and avoid changing the game balance too much. For what it's worth, shops do restock slowly - they add a few items each day, and change some of the existing items. This occurs at midnight, so effectively you see it when you enter the shop on a new day. Of course the shop inventory is completely restocked when you go to a new city too.

PlunderBunny

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • BOSS Roguelike
    • Email
Re: New roguelike: BOSS (v3.1)
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2024, 09:46:20 PM »
Version 3.1 of BOSS is now available for Windows, Linux, and macOS from the BOSS home page: https://80.style/#/plunderbunny/boss/introduction.

This is a minor update with only a few new features:
  • Large monsters - some monsters can occupy more than one square on the map. I hope this will lead to more interesting, tactical gameplay.
  • Look around command - pressing the L key (i.e. shift and the letter l) allows the player to pan the map around the sewer.
  • Segmented high score display option - the high score table can be styled like an old-fashioned segmented display (think of the very early calculators prior to LCD screens). This replaces the leaderboard display option.
  • On Linux only, the folder containing the options for the game (a sub-folder in the user's home folder) is now invisible by default for all new installations. For an existing installation, you can rename the folder from "Boss" to ".boss" (note the leading period and the lower-case 'b') and it will retain your options and make the folder invisible. Conversely, if you prefer to have the folder visible, you can rename the folder to be "Boss".

Important note: Save games from version 3.0 are not compatible with version 3.1 - if you have a version 3.0 game in progress, you should finish it before installing version 3.1. All other support files (high-scores, settings, and filters) are compatible.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 08:08:33 PM by PlunderBunny »

PineappleComputer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2024, 06:44:35 AM »
I'm so glad that you working on that game. Thank you! This game have a great atmosphere.