Author Topic: Torchlight  (Read 31614 times)

Twiccan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Torchlight
« on: October 22, 2009, 07:51:27 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this topic, but it's not about actually playing the game yet, since it is not out at this time.

Anyway, with the release of Torchlight less than a week away, I thought it was time to make a topic just for that game.  Who plans on checking it out, and what are you most looking forward to about it?

It's not going to be as deep as your typical "traditional" roguelike, but it looks like it makes up for that (if you even consider that bad) in looks and charm.  I just hope my computer can eek out the juice to run this one.  it will be close either way, I'm sure.

Edit:  Oops, there is a big difference between noW out and noT out.  What a typo!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:31:57 PM by Twiccan »

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Torchlight
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 08:41:26 PM »
Already pre-ordered and already have plans for working PrEditor into my overarching plan involving Scallywag as the next major milestone in my plans to acquire proper game development skills.

I feel great things shall come of this and Din's Curse a bit later this year.  Odds are your PC will run it as even older Netbooks can apparently hoof it.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Karzack

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
I haven't really looked into this game.  I seen that it was coming out and I figured that I would wait until some reviews start coming in for it.  If I think of it later I will do some research on it. 

Rya.Reisender

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 10:00:57 AM »
I haven't heard if this game before. Anyone care to explain what makes it so interesting that people already anticipate it?

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 10:09:49 AM »
Anyone care to explain what makes it so interesting that people already anticipate it?

It's action role-playing game and looks like Diablo-clone, so it's interesting. I never knew what was so great about Diablo, but you know, average people liked it.

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 10:16:19 AM »
I never knew what was so great about Diablo

Item randomization, item combination, item crafting/enchanting. Also item gambling. Not to forget item customization through runes and gems. The whole game is about items and their mods, and the combination of their mods.

I wish more games had that.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:39:23 AM »
Item randomization, item combination, item crafting/enchanting. Also item gambling. Not to forget item customization through runes and gems.

So it's like WoW, you play to get more stuff and better stuff. I like other things such as getting into role of the character, exploring the world and just trying to do anything else than get items and improve attributes. Maybe that's why I don't like action role-playing games.

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 12:57:58 PM »
There's already at least one TC page that's gone up aiming to infuse yet more Roguelike elements into it.

http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/node/28

I'd LOVE to see some Roguetemple folk head on over to the forum there and interact as emissaries as thus far I've noticed a fair number of Roguelike players over there---many of whom seem to be lapsed players whom this game seems to have lit a spark in again.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Rya.Reisender

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 01:27:13 PM »
I like other things such as getting into role of the character, exploring the world and just trying to do anything else than get items and improve attributes.
Yup, unfortunately I don't know many roguelikes that you would actually play for the story and those I know have sucky gameplay in exchange (e.g. Barogue).

Twiccan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 03:11:25 PM »
I haven't heard if this game before. Anyone care to explain what makes it so interesting that people already anticipate it?

One of the reasons people are so looking forward to it is that it is being made by a dream team of devs that come from the developers of the Diablo series and the Fate series of action "rogueish" RPG's.  That, and it looks gorgeous (even though the system requirements are purported to be pretty low for todays standards), appears to have a ton of depth for this kind of game, and is extremely moddable.

Anyway, one more day!! :)

Karzack

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 11:24:45 PM »
Isn't the game only supposed to be $20?  I thought I read that they were charging this amount to try to get some money to get an MMO out of it.

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 11:48:18 PM »
Here's how it works:

-This single player game costs $20...few bucks less on pre-order some places.  A retail disc that will also cost $20 should come out January'ish.

-From here, they work full steam on the free to play and download MMO follow-up to this game set in the same universe---which won't hit for another 18-24 months.  This was ALREADY under funding from Perfect World, the single player game was something the developers successfully lobbied for so as to be a bulwark for the style and quality they are aiming to put forth rather than just popping out as yet another MMO a couple years out.

-So, sales for this game are good...as they will help in general and trend towards expansions and such should the game sell well same as it generally always is for PC games.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Twiccan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 01:39:52 PM »
Got it overnight and checked it out a bit instead of going back to bed like I should have, although alot of that time was spent testing how it worked under various resolutions and graphic details.  But it's at least playable on my system, so that is a good thing.  I'm impressed with the vibrance of the graphics and the effects, but I knew I would be from the screens.  My only gripe so far is that the load times from level to level or level to city are kinda longish, but I know that's because I have too little RAM in my system.  I've only played one of the classes and only played through one level of the mines so far and got her to level 2, but the gameplay and balance is enjoyable so far.  I'm definitely enticed to keep playing, since I have already taken a boss quest and I've seen in one of the shops where you can buy maps thay you "activate" to play bonus levels, which I think is a really cool concept.  Anyway, we'll see how other people think of this game as they get it and I'm sure I'll post more as I play more.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:43:56 PM by Twiccan »

Karzack

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 12:31:01 AM »
What's the character building like.  I could care less about the story, but I like a good character builder.

Twiccan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 02:56:40 PM »
What's the character building like.  I could care less about the story, but I like a good character builder.

Very Diablo-like.  There are three classes, and each class has three skill trees.  Two are class-specific, then there is one that they all share.  Magick is done pretty uniquely- You find scrolls as loot around the mines (dungeon) and can learn any spell from a scroll, but you can only have four spells known at any one time.  And from what I understand there are quite a few spells.  In a single game I had a character that knew haste, summon skeleton, and fireball.  So there is quite the possibility for some really eclectic character builds, since the skill trees are also quite varied from one another.  That will probably appeal to some people but not to others.

And I didn't even mention the pet.  You can give them fish that transorm them.  Also, they can have two spells memorized themself.  Another really cool thing about the pet is that they can hold as many items as you can, and the super cool thing is that with a click of a button, you can send the pet to automatically go back to town and sell all the items in it's inventory, then come back, all without you having to leave the dungeon at all.  You are just without your pet for about 30 seconds or so.