Author Topic: Anyone have any young kids (or know any) that play roguelikes?  (Read 23684 times)

Karzack

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Anyone have any young kids (or know any) that play roguelikes?
« on: October 21, 2009, 11:12:33 PM »
After downloading the latest DoomRL, my son (just turned 11) seen me playing it.  He thought it was pretty cool and now it's on his computer.  He's also being playing Dwarf Fortress too, since I gave him my old PC.  This was about 6-8 months ago.  He has even given Stone Soup a few runs.

My 6 year old is having a blast with Spelunky.  I know it's not a true roguelike, but it's close enough for me.

Any one else?  I know my kids can't be the only ones.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
Re: Anyone have any young kids (or know any) that play roguelikes?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:37:20 PM »
Apparently I started at age of 12.

You can find some young people on forums, but I am not sure whether you would call them kids.

purestrain

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 06:29:41 AM »
Hmm... my daughter (soon 7yr) sometimes tries a game programmed by me; but since she is not able to read english (well, german is hard enough for her) she can only watch. "Fatal Labyrinth" (ps3, mega drive collection) is appealing to her i think.

But that brought me to an idea to create a roguelike without any text. Thanks for indirectly remembering me :-)

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:05:06 AM »
But I learned English by playing roguelikes!

For those who like challenge, using some words from a foreign language (especially a useful and simple one, like English) should not be a problem, IMO. They will only learn more.

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:59:58 PM »
That doesn't sound like a good idea. His daughter will wind up thinking that every letter is out to kill her.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 09:53:23 PM »
That doesn't sound like a good idea. His daughter will wind up thinking that every letter is out to kill her.

One of the best arguments FOR Tiles ever posted!
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Karzack

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 10:05:50 PM »

Imagine...your kid screams in the middle of the night.  "Daddy, daddy!!"  You run in to their room to see what's wrong.  "I had a nightmare where the 'o' was coming to get me."

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 08:24:48 AM »

One of the best arguments FOR Tiles ever posted!

I don't know. Some images in games have been rather shocking. I remember some undead even in old games, which I rather would not have seen.

But novels can give nightmares too. I don't think nightmares are linked to the presentation, but to ideas. The nightmare won't be about the letter, but the idea to be killed.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 11:11:17 AM »

Only if the roguelike uses ASCII letters for representing monsters and no text for messages. In a typical roguelike only like 2% of letters is out to kill you (depending on how elaborate are the messages and how many of them you need to kill a monster).

(Of course my arguments from the previous post were for 12 year olds or something like that, and doing a textless roguelike is an art in itself.)

BTW wasn't there a joke that you have played too much Nethack if you feel afraid of your e-mail address?

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 12:20:03 AM »
wasn't there a joke that you have played too much Nethack if you feel afraid of your e-mail address?

;D ;D ;D
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

Omnivorous

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 10:50:48 AM »
"Daddy! Can I quaff some coca cola?!" "Awwww.. must I wield the pjs??:'(" "Mommy..Mommy! Can we please have meat ration for dinner today??:" And existential problems when they leave the house and get dissapointed for the tenth time, that the world didn't get randomly generated this time either!

Nah honestly I think kids are good off playing roguelikes if they have fun doing it. They might pick up some english. It teaches them how to think strategically. (Kinda like chess) Plus it's a lesson of "don't judge by the looks, it's whats inside that matters!" :) ...plus your geek-friends will be mighty impressed when you can brag that your 11year old daugther ascended in Rogue! ;D

sausage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 06:29:48 PM »
If an 11 year old ascended in Rogue, I would think I would have an epileptic seizure... then have a 3-day Rogue playing session to beat him/her.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 05:07:19 PM »
If an 11 years old gets into Rogue, his mind may get corrupted into frustration