Author Topic: A simple roguelike?  (Read 21758 times)

Zambaku

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
A simple roguelike?
« on: October 01, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
I've mostly been playing Angband and it's varieties: Actually quite fun! Except that the dungeons are generated each time you re-enter the dungeon, which makes me generally run up and down and collect nearby cash and killing easy enemies and just grind, I generally go to level 15 before venturing down to floor 2...And it feels kind of out of place with a re-generating dungeon. But the town is lovely. And the controls are just great. My favorite is Zangband TK atm.

I've also tried Nethack, I simply didn't get it, the controls where way to difficult for me, otherwise it was quite fun, though I missed having a town...

POWDER: This one was really good! Only bad thing is that it lacks a town and it's not that varied =/

Is there anything like Angband with persistant levels and a town, with somewhat easy to learn controlls?

Twiccan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A simple roguelike?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 06:59:18 PM »
Not to be mean or anything, but the whole idea of a roguelike is that the dungeon is randomly generated each game.

Brigand

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 07:02:18 PM »
I think he means 'persistent within the game', and not the Angband style where the level is regenerated when you leave and come back.

Omnivorous

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
What you are looking for is "Crawl Stone Soup". It generates new dungeons every play, but once a level has been generated, it is persistant.

It is very anti-grinding too. For example, it has shops in the dungeon, but you cannot sell items. So items are worthless unless you really need them.

It also has "branches", every level has 3 up staircases, and 3 downstaircases. If you have fully explored a level and only have 2 down-staircases it means that there is a part of this level you haven't found yet. One way to find it is to go back up, and try all the 3 down-staircases there, or go down and try all the 3 up-staircases from there.

You start at level 1 in the dungeon, there is no town with shops, but I think you will like it :) I do reccomend you play the Stone Soup version of Crawl instead of the original version though, because the controls of Stone Soup is MUCH more convenient and makes the game more fun to play! :)

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:56:52 AM »
IIRC a lot of angband varients have an option to have persistant levels.   I always set it to persistant, but I cant remember which variants I used to play. NPP i think. Go through the options.

Try stone soup but expect it to have a veeerrry steep learning curve.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Rabiat

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:30:50 AM »
Stone Soup has a very steep learning curve? It has a tutorial mode and a DWIM key for exploration. What more do you want?

Of course players shouldn't expect to win the game in under four years of trying, but that's not a learning curve, that's a stubbornness curve. ;)

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 04:14:35 AM »
Steep learning curve of getting far in the game, i.e. it is hard.  It is sort of easy to get into.  But there is an active community.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Omnivorous

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 02:05:25 PM »
Just play, for example the basher-combination one tutorial option suggests and getting far into game is not very hard. I don't understand why people say Crawl is one of the hardest roguelikes.. to me it seems like one of the easiest.

What can make it more difficult than other roguelikes is that you cannot grind. Not items and not XP. I never do this either way though so that just fits me well. ADOM is ten times harder than Crawl!