Author Topic: Unnamed: the Roguelike.  (Read 32880 times)

Archaalen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Unnamed: the Roguelike.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 05:04:50 AM »
I really like this concept!  Please do not abandon it!

Ex

• IRC Communications Delegate
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »
I love the graphics in this game. I've actually been working on displaying similar graphics using OpenGL and C++. You beat me to it though, good work! This looks really cool, and I'd love to play it when it's done. Keep up the good work!

omicron1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 11:40:25 PM »
Small update.
Added food + water, Eat command. Added Raw Meat object, Bone object. Fixed serious bug with Getting multiple items.

Update 2.
Battle-tested the Use command. It's halfway there, as it doesn't quite handle inheritance yet. Also, added Carving Knife, Sharp Object, Corpse, and the Use Sharp Object with Corpse command.
Finally, I added Spawn Rarity as a stat in the objects definition file.

Update 3.
Use command complete and tested. Using your Carving Knife with a Corpse will result in three pieces of Raw Meat and two Bones. The sum of food obtainable this way is greater than that obtained by simply eating the Corpse; also, you will be able cook the Raw Meat over a fire to increase its food value yet farther (I might even implement a cooking system whereby spices and other ingredients may be combined to create special dishes of great culinary benefit.)

My inheritance/parenting system is an attempt to save speed at the expense of memory use. You can define interactions for low-level parents (say, define Use|Sharp Object|Corpse to show a message "A maggot appears! It squeaks, 'Hello, world!'"), which is then added to a list of interaction code. The game will, when it starts, compile a list of interactions and work out parenting beforehand; each and every object that inherits from Sharp Object (or corpse, for that matter) will have a pointer to the interaction code for that "use" event, unless overridden. This is a relatively minor memory draw (4 bytes per interaction per item, or per item pair in the case of the Use event), and can be optimized to not even take up extra time at loading, by saving a list of pointers to a file and recompiling it every time the object or interaction lists change.

Update 4:
Modified levelup code to give luck some play in increased health and mana pool. Dexterity is still out in the cold, though. No raw stat increase there - it plays more into the behind-the-scenes mechanics.
Also, I linked carrying weight to various stats. Strength, obviously, plays a big role; dexterity comes second, and constitution has a small part to play. Finally, I made the player's actual health and mana show up alongside the percent bars.

Randomly generated characters tend to have stats which start in the D&D 'normal' range: 8 to 18. My generator also tends to dip a bit lower than the D&D default - stats which aren't focused on at all may dip as low as 3 or 4. Thus overall the stat points a character in Unnamed will receive are less than those in D&D. This is made up for, I believe, by the fact that a character gains one stat point per level, for each profession possible.

I think I'm going to have job level gaining difficulty be based on an average of 1. the character's level in a particular job (for instance, a level 1 Assassin would need only about 20 experience points to gain his next level), and 2. the character's total level (a character with 20 accumulated levels might have to gain 4000 or more experience points to gain his next level.)

Thus, level gaining will still be easier in untrained skills, but you won't be able to just gain random levels in odd professions to buff your stats. Doing so will be slower than otherwise, and will make your character gain future levels in jobs you actually care about at a slower rate.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 05:18:43 AM by omicron1 »

omicron1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 04:25:20 PM »
A couple of changes/updates:
1. Fixed another  bug with multi-Get.
2. Added Wear and Wield commands. Wear is a more general 'equip' command, in that it will also 'wield' weapons; but Wield is there in case you want to Wield a helmet or something random like that.
3. Added special rooms. These are rare dungeon rooms which have unusual shapes or features; they may be pillared halls, trap-laden mazes, water-filled corridors, or vast treasure vaults. These rooms are chosen from a set of pre-designed layouts.
4. Added first (basic) NPC: the Rabbit. He is currently running a random-walk AI, and checking for wall collisions. In subsequent updates, I will give him the ability to detect and run away from the player, as well as using him as a target for implementing the 'T'hrow command and attacking. Then I can begin to add more advanced enemies, giving the player something to kill.

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 04:29:53 PM »
I will give him the ability to detect and run away from the player, as well as using him as a target for implementing the 'T'hrow command and attacking.
I hope that means that we'll be able to 'T'hrow the rabbit.

omicron1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 03:52:41 PM »

Current status:
   Several meta-systems are in place: game saving, map traversal, stairways, and caves. These are preset structures that complement the rooms-and-passages structure inherent to the roguelike; they are large, semi-random, and have a Z-dimension. That is, if you look down into a cave or sinkhole you can see the layers of the map below you; if you're strong enough you can kick a monster off a ledge, doing damage to it or even killing it; if you so desire, you can descend into the cave yourself. Even room structures can potentially be multilevel affairs, allowing for rather epic setpieces. There is a map in the interface now, that is filled out as you explore; in addition, various features like level-determined lights are in play. The camera has been moved to a fixed, farther-out perspective in order to aid in actual play, not just pretty views.

I'll probably consider the first milestone releasable when there are some ambient critters to fight, and when the overmap is more fleshed out. That may take a little while, but I feel that I'm starting to get beyond the bare engine skeleton and into the meat of this project.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 07:03:16 PM »
:laughs like a madman with delight:

Fantastic work!  You said you'd kept at it awhile back, and surely that is the case!

Keep on keeping on!   8)
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 05:17:29 PM »
Good to see you getting some meat on the bones now and working with something that looks more playable.  I'd definitely like to see a released version very soon - would be fun to at least explore the 3d environments you're creating.  I'm sure you'd get excellent feedback from an early release too.

Also, you really need to call it something other than "Unnamed"  :P

omicron1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 05:27:44 PM »
I do need to call it something. I just don't know what. Since the world is not exceptionally fleshed out, there's not much of a story yet, nor a real name for the game. I don't even have a macguffin!

So, Unnamed is not the actual name. It is a temporary name. Maybe by the time I actually have a release I can refer to it by another title...

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 09:21:05 AM »
A few name ideas:

Beefy Chars 3D - The Roguelike
Levels of ASCII - The Roguelike
Tangible Characters - The Roguelike
3D Extrude - The Roguelike
Sharp Blocks - The Roguelike

Andelor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Faihido
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 02:08:21 PM »
I just had to register and tell you that this is looking mighty fine! I am an old avid rougelike player, and I have always loved to see a 3D aschii rougelike with nice effects etc.