Author Topic: Doing RL with JS/PHP?  (Read 17835 times)

kurukku

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Doing RL with JS/PHP?
« on: June 20, 2009, 07:07:01 AM »
Hi fellows,

as a matter of industrial spionage, are there actually any examples of RLs coded with Javascript and PHP?

PaulBlay

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Doing RL with JS/PHP?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 08:50:40 AM »
Hi fellows,

as a matter of industrial spionage, are there actually any examples of RLs coded with Javascript and PHP?

gTile is in JavaScript.  I don't know of RLs that use PHP, but there are a number that run in web browsers.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 06:19:54 PM »
IRLDb shows 4 roguelikes in Javascript, none in PHP. Also it shows one roguelike in Flash (which is a similar category to JS/PHP, so I thought it might be of interest in this topic), and I know of another one which is missing from Roguebasin: http://www.thetombs.com/

Creating a web-roguelike with server-side PHP scripts called through AJAX or something seems an original project (I guess it would be a multiplayer one, otherwise I don't see any sense) but also very tedious to implement, I think. (And also to play... when playing roguelikes on my computer, I often do several actions per second (even more if you are using auto-explore feature of DCSS and count each move as one...), and the network lags would not allow me to do that in a web-roguelike). Thus, I am not sure whether this would be practical.

beam

• Newcomer
  • haw
    • MSN Messenger - winkerbeam@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - robotscomputers
    • View Profile
    • justinpoliey.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 06:50:36 AM »
Doing a roguelike with Javascript/PHP wouldn't be too difficult, as long as most of the gameplay was handled in Javascript.

Creating a web-roguelike with server-side PHP scripts called through AJAX or something seems an original project (I guess it would be a multiplayer one, otherwise I don't see any sense) but also very tedious to implement, I think. (And also to play... when playing roguelikes on my computer, I often do several actions per second (even more if you are using auto-explore feature of DCSS and count each move as one...), and the network lags would not allow me to do that in a web-roguelike). Thus, I am not sure whether this would be practical.

Rather than sending a request for each move made, you would only have to make an Ajax call for persistent information. Save/load, character stat changes, inventory management, could all be Ajax'd, but they wouldn't even have to return any output. Just a silent save. Stuff like monsters and moving around could all be done through JS.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 12:02:19 PM »
There's a RL in PHP, but it doesnt have a lot of work on the client side... it is also much of a Work In Progress... I haven't seen Vincent in a while...

http://cryptmaster.free.fr/PHPROGUE/index.php5