Author Topic: Project: Roguelike Renaissance  (Read 174756 times)

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Project: Roguelike Renaissance
« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2010, 11:03:13 PM »
Well, I've the Win 7 firewall going now...mainly it is just out of habit I suppose from older PC's on different operating systems.  I'm just on a straight cable connection though, so no router magic for me.  Well, not anymore since that storm fried the old router, but oh well.

It'll do for now same as MSE for anti-virus purposes....moreso I'm focused on getting back on track as expediently as possible.  I got screwed up for a good while yesterday trying to get my monitors reconfigured again---everything was flipped AND backwards and on the wrong monitor for awhile there, which if you've never done it, REALLY is a pleasure to try and navigate to de-screwup via the mouse.   :D

Duly noted on the Art issues, as apparently if such a resource is out there it is hiding FAR too well.   Hopefully I'll still manage to come across it soon, or a certain contact might well just make it himself and stick it online somewhere from when he couldn't find it either.   :P
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

jim

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 29, 2010, 12:11:01 PM »
(Just wanted to give you props for the continuing effort, getter. Go get 'em.)

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2010, 02:24:30 PM »
Thanks jim, I surely appreciate it.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2010, 02:40:15 AM »
Slowly coming to understand the world of the digital arts today....somehow resulting in the whole Raster v. Vector situation floating all about my head alongside some new bookmarks.   Hoping to manage my first graphical tile using GraphicsGale combo'd with GIMP for finishing touches in the near(ish?) future...
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2010, 04:09:49 PM »
Many maddening delays, derails, distractions, and displeasures later:  I finally got done with my Gist-Combing of Art program Manuals and now have the gist of the gist of various concepts, methods, and terms wafting around in my head---to hopefully become more concretely known in the near upcoming future.

Once I get on pace art wise, though my initial doings are probably technically enough so as to last the next several months depending, it'll be time to hunt for more projects to contribute to in an accredited manner testing wise and perhaps otherwise as it goes while still keeping an eye out and at the ready stance for the other things I know of that I haven't heard on just yet.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2010, 05:42:13 PM »
Time to help yodhe in the very near future, though like everything else it keeps getting derailed with my rapidly deteriorating situation.

I'm contemplating how it might go to try and forego sleep far moreso, including abstaining from old tricks like caffeine and the like, in order to have more time to get more things done and try to work on things.

Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

jim

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 05, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
No dude, artists do their best work when they charge headfirst into complete disaster, needles hanging out of their arms and eyes widely dilated. Both ends! Burn the candle at both ends!

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2010, 10:06:44 PM »
Creative juices disrupted due to not feeling well at all, waiting to hear back on some of a fair number of things to try and keep/regain pace on everything---or at least the stuff not needing said juice at first.   :-\
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Jetman123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
Man. I can't believe how dedicated you are. I wish I was able to apply myself to everyday work as seriously as you have to roguelikes.

This is a great idea. Don't make your own roguelike - help the myriad of other ones out there with various ancillary tasks to keep the developer able to focus on the important stuff.

jim

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2010, 12:26:00 AM »
Isn't it kinda badass? It's almost romantic in a goth kinda way. If only more geeks were women.
Or maybe like that one song in RENT. Wow, am I dating myself?
Yeah, much admiration for the project. Sideline work on the roguelike scene. Talk about an unsung hero.

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2010, 12:31:04 AM »
Thanks as always jetman and jim----dig around more in the forums jetman and you will see I've been beating the "marketing" drum, of sorts at least, as well for a good while so no worries at all as you've surely not rambled.   ;)

Still not feeling well, trying to get back on track, trying to position to get onto more things.  Some pretty bad times here at the house tend to knock me off my feet so the arising anew to continue onward part is stymied by it.   :-\
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Wolfmilf

• Newcomer
    • MSN Messenger - Edvin1991@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2010, 08:28:22 AM »
Wow, you're still going! I think this thread was the one who made me join a while back.
You seem as dedicated as the Dwarf Fortress devs. I hope you get as much appreciation as you deserve and good luck :)

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2010, 07:09:12 PM »
Yet more closed beta doings afoot, one of which with the hilarious caveat of being decidedly ASCII(As in, I have to figure out how to get the thing to display in the window box without cutting off stuff on the right-hand side pretty well soon here...) in nature(None more surprised than me, maybe the last assumption I make for a good long while!..).

So, given my issues with such traditionally...this'll be an interesting, and hopefully reach/grasp enhancing, trial!   8)

I still really need to get that art side of things moving though....c'mon inspirational and/or creative spark~
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2010, 10:52:07 PM »
I'm currently in...not good shape nor been feeling well.  A bad rut and not predicted rut in every single way really...

I've not been able to manage existing commitments like I feel I should, even if I have been trying/slow/dripped little bits of progress on most of the fronts----the results just aren't there to the degree I've always shot for in all prior doings.  It leaves me feeling let down with myself/not living up to what all I said and intended to do, as well as hampering the overall progress of whatever on account of my guns not firing all that rapidly or accurately.   >:( :(

I'm trying to turn it around, to at least get back on track with the existing things before jumping at anything newly unforeseen until I can at least shake this...terrible slump.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #179 on: October 07, 2010, 10:30:47 AM »
I'm not sure if I can really help much (also I'm not sure if I understood all of your text correctly); it might sound cheap if I say "try to relax and keep things easy". But more seriously, it's all free and volunteer work that you do, and your health and well being should be first, before any project obligations.

Take some time off, people sure will understand that you need a break. Do things that you feel helpful to recover and stabilize your situation, and then try to start again.

Good luck and get well again soon :)