Author Topic: PnP RPG suggestions  (Read 24816 times)

Scautura

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • CyberRogue
    • Email
PnP RPG suggestions
« on: February 09, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »
As I know we have a wide variety of people here who play all sorts, I was wondering if I could pick a few brains. I'm looking for suggestions on which to get hold of: Cyberpunk 2030 (3e), GURPS 4e, or Hero System 5e (or wait for 6e)

I've played and run CP2020, so I'm used to the D10 system, but I've become more attached to bell-curve probability, but I could (ab)use Fuzion rules to make it 3D6
I've got GURPS 3e, but I've heard 4e has a lot of improvements (I don't have the Compendia, which is what I've heard 4e incorporates) - it is, however, two books, which makes it a little more expensive (I could pick up both the other two suggestions for less, in the UK). I haven't really played it though, just done a lot of char gen and then groups fell apart.
I've never played, seen, had anything to do with Hero System, but I have heard good things (and the fact that it did use Fuzion at one point in the form of Champions, but switched to another format, kind if piques my interest) about it.

I've got a budget in the region of £50, and all 3 systems (4 books) cost almost £100 together, so I have to make an informed choice. I'm interested more in gameflow, mechanics and how they work as a system than any background (I can write my own, anyway, and I can always tweak until I'm happy) so I'm happy to listen.
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the Universe together.
CyberRogue

stu

• Rogueliker
  • Moop!
    • View Profile
    • Stu's Rusty Bucket
Re: PnP RPG suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 02:33:53 PM »
avoid cyberpunk 3rd edition. It pains me to say it, but Mike really fubar'd it beyond belief. Better to get CP2020 instead.

I LOVE fuzion rules (which what R Talsorian did with their Interlock rules (cp2020) and when they bought out hero they merged the hero rules with interlock to create Fuzion...). CP3e uses fuzion but the artwork sucks, some of the pages of the book are straight out of cp2020 without conversion from interlock to fuzion :(

They are coming out with a new Mekton ruleset :) which should be pretty cool from hearsay.

I would look at True20 if I were you, I'm personally not a fan on dnd4e its too miniature/wargame oriented for my taste.

Did you ever try Cybergeneration2? that was really cool.

CP2020 is still my fave over most everything.

--/\-[ Stu ]-/\--

Scautura

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • CyberRogue
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 02:41:13 PM »
I LOVE fuzion rules (which what R Talsorian did with their Interlock rules (cp2020) and when they bought out hero they merged the hero rules with interlock to create Fuzion...). CP3e uses fuzion but the artwork sucks, some of the pages of the book are straight out of cp2020 without conversion from interlock to fuzion :(

They are coming out with a new Mekton ruleset :) which should be pretty cool from hearsay.
I've already got Mekton Zeta (MZ+ for making mecha) but I don't like the "static" damage - when I play, I tweak it for a CP2020 style damage system. I'm currently using a modified version of CP2020/2030 (what I've seen of CP3e that I like) and MZ for CyberRogue (it's not entirely Fuzion or Interlock, but it's where I got my inspiration from)

I would look at True20 if I were you, I'm personally not a fan on dnd4e its too miniature/wargame oriented for my taste.

Did you ever try Cybergeneration2? that was really cool.

CP2020 is still my fave over most everything.

Never did like D20 systems, they just feel *shudder* wrong, somehow. Might be to do with my edition of Paranoia coming with a D20 (as a D10 system).
I've never even seen Cybergeneration, not to be able to buy or read a copy at least. I'm assuming it's based off Interlock/Fuzion?

Edit: Ooooh, cybermagic/cyberpsychic (ish) (Cybergeneration) characters...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 02:51:04 PM by Scautura »
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the Universe together.
CyberRogue

stu

• Rogueliker
  • Moop!
    • View Profile
    • Stu's Rusty Bucket
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 04:48:37 PM »
I like fuzion, I'm not a fan of opencore or action!system, they got too verbose too fast. fuzion is nice and tight.
I also like d20 over bellucrve 3d6... but thats just me. instantfuzion is pretty cool, very slimed down etc.

cybergeneration2 is interlok2 (aka cp2020 rules), its about kids with nanotech in them, sounds corny but its really cool (its more into/about  RP than cp2020 which is nothing but big gun fights).  you can buy pdfs of it here http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=25143&it=1

--/\-[ Stu ]-/\--

Scautura

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • CyberRogue
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 08:41:05 PM »
I have problems with PDF versions of stuff - I don't have a problem with reading them in general, but I do find I get eye strain a lot easier than if it's a normal book... Not only that, but I can't just drag it around with me (e.g. To the loo as reading material... OK, TMI?). That said, I have no problems working with Fuzion from a PDF, but that might be due to my experience with it and related systems.

My reason for liking 3d6/bell curve is that I've noticed, in the real world, if you are really good or bad at something, a benefit or problem while doing something isn't going to make a massive difference, but for an average person it can make a lot of difference (e.g. an expert sharpshooter would hit a target with or without scope, but someone useless would still wobble while shooting - an average person might have a problem keeping a normal sight on target but a scope will provide some stability. Alternatively, picking a lock in darkness, having light for an expert or useless person won't help, but an average person might have a better chance). There are times when it works the other way, or works like a probability line (d20), but to me 3d6 feels "normal" and can be justified. Extremes of good or bad won't be affected too much by conditions, but the middle will.

That was a bit of a babble!

I wish I was somewhere I could actually find these in stock - I'm having problems finding GURPS in stock anywhere, so I might end up defaulting to CP2020/30 and Hero. I don't really want to pay trans-continental shipping costs, so I'm looking within the UK. It seems like everything over here is either WoTC (DnD) or Game Workshop (Warhammer/40K) with the occasional White Wolf (World of Darkness) sprinkled in.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 08:51:53 PM by Scautura »
CyberRogue

Scautura

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • CyberRogue
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 10:14:32 AM »
I'm going mad - talking to myself!!! Oops...

I've gone and splashed out on (from the same place, and they didn't have any Cyberpunk or Cybergeneration):

GURPS Basic 4th Edition (Characters and Campaigns)
True20
Hero System ReFREd (5th Edition Revised)

Should keep me going for a while. I'm a bad bad boy...

I did realise I have a ton of stuff for Fuzion (a lot of the free PDFs that I won't mind printing out because they're small, Mekton Zeta, Mekton Zeta Plus (Construction kit), BGC, a lot of older Interlock stuff that can be easily converted, etc.) so I really don't need to get hold of CyberPunk, but CyberGeneration might be an interesting addition.

I was also wondering if anybody had ever heard of an RPG called "In Media Res" (by DarkSIDE Press) also formerly known as "Synergy"?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:19:57 PM by Scautura »
CyberRogue

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 10:00:12 PM »
In general, I'd say www.playthisthing.com would probably come in handy for tabletop wranglings and perhaps PnP stuff...often there's coverage mixed in with other stuff.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training