Author Topic: 1st Person Roguelikes?  (Read 35828 times)

JoshuaSmyth

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
1st Person Roguelikes?
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:30:34 PM »
So I was thinking the other day, has anyone made a first-person eye-of-the-beholder or wizardy-esk Roguelike?

I'm sure it'd be a fun little twist on the genre.
www.tinyfrogsoftware.com <- Browser based Roguelike

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Person Roguelikes?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 01:20:18 PM »
There's Demise: Rise of the Ku'tan if you can get your hands on it, and apparently there's also something called IVAN 3d, which is for - surprisingly - IVAN :) It's one of the best roguelikes you can play, so... :)
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 04:31:13 PM »
There's also strange attempt at a Doom 3+Expansion   Roguelike conversion dealie...not sure if it is still being updated or not but the idea seems novel.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Karzack

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:41:50 AM »
I have little to no coding experience, but is it possible to write something using one of the Elder Scrolls engines?  Something like this sound pretty hard if not impossible to do though.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 04:10:47 AM »
So I was thinking the other day, has anyone made a first-person eye-of-the-beholder or wizardy-esk Roguelike?

I'm sure it'd be a fun little twist on the genre.

Richard Garriott did it some years ago, it was called Ultima I

JoshuaSmyth

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 07:44:05 AM »
I haven't played a good step-wise 1st person RPG in a long time. Could be an interesting project, if I didn't already have lots in a queue.
www.tinyfrogsoftware.com <- Browser based Roguelike

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 06:04:28 PM »
I also had this idea; a game like that would be simply awesome - Eye of the beholder style (slow, multiparty) or maybe Doom style (action packed levels).

Recently a software company tried something like that in a commercial way, but it went bad and they closed. The game is Hellgates: London.
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 07:12:31 PM »
3069 would probably work well for it nowadays on the 3D front.  There's also an ongoing Daggerfall remake/enhancement project...and the likes of jClassicRPG which can probably also come fairly close.

Also, there's a brand new expansion to Demise after all these years that is about out of beta now!   I shall probably use the release of it as a jumping in point as I missed it completely back when it first hit...
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Twiccan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 02:42:45 AM »
I'm surprised nobody mentioned SSI's own Dungeon Hack game.  It uses the Eye of the Beholder interface, but with random dungeons.

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 01:21:58 PM »
You are right, Dungeon Hack was a try, but it lacked of many roguelike features (permadeath, freedom, mechanics to discover, lots of content, a complex non-trivial world with object interactions, player-like monsters).
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

Numeron

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Numeron Reactor
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 11:19:49 PM »
I think having a roguelike in 1st person makes keeping up with the traditional roguelike mechanics pretty hard. Im not saying its not possible, it would probably even be fun, but if you fall into the trap of making it realtime, then its made even harder and would probably be considered more a regular 3d crpg that features procedural content.

I do remember that the eye of the beholder games were very good, but my memory has died on me, were they turn based??

Also check this out http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.announce/browse_thread/thread/f79961ed69964139

Twiccan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 03:58:08 AM »
I do remember that the eye of the beholder games were very good, but my memory has died on me, were they turn based??

No, they were realtime.

Ex

• IRC Communications Delegate
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 05:24:10 AM »
Edit; I can't believe I didn't think of this! 3069 is 3d first person! It's not eye of the beholder or gold box like, but it's still pretty awesome.

In terms of an oldschool goldbox style roguelike, I'd love to see a modern roguedev make one of those. I've been debating it for a while, but I never have the time :( Maybe for the next 7DRL
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:26:20 AM by Elig »

AgingMinotaur

• Rogueliker
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 01:21:55 PM »
There's a pretty old game that seems to qualify, called Umbra. It markets itself as a lovecraftian crpg, "heavily inspired" by the RL genre. I haven't actually played it, though I just downloaded the source to see how it looked, and had to edit/replace "whrandom"->"random" in all the *.py files. (The whrandom module is deprecated, but the game seems to run fine with the more up to date random module.)

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

zenkalia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 07:36:41 PM »
it kind of sucked but orcs and elves comes to mind...