Author Topic: dev blog for android roguelike  (Read 11568 times)

devilbuddy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
dev blog for android roguelike
« on: March 02, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »
Hi,

First post on this forum! Hi all!

I just wanted to do some type of "formal" announcement of a roguelike game for Android mobile devices that I'm currently developing using the brilliant tiles that Hamish here on the forum are working on (over at http://eight2empire.blogspot.com/).

The game is far from finished.. but I think I have gotten off to a good start. If you want to you can check out the progress at http://droidgnome.blogspot.com/.

If someone wants to give the game a try, please let me know and I can provide a bleeding-edge build that can be installed on a device.

Best Regards

Magnus

Hamish

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: dev blog for android roguelike
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 09:37:49 PM »
Hi Magnus,

I'm glad your telling folk about your game. The work you've done so far is really solid, especially on the user interface side of things. I can vouch for the fact that it plays pretty well even at this early stage.

Anyone with an android handset should get in touch and have a go, this games going to be kickass!

...not that I'm biased or anything :¬)

devilbuddy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:05:46 AM »
Hi,

I have been a bit slow updating the blog... Instead I have been working on the game. If anyone is interested in trying it out here's a public dropbox link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4495934/zrl_Android.apk

If you try it - please give me some feedback  :)

Regards

Magnus

purestrain

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »
Tried it; Gameplay is way too slow, i hate waiting for the battles to be over. Swipe to move is imho very cumbersome but the presentation is fine so far.

devilbuddy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 10:23:52 AM »
Tried it; Gameplay is way too slow, i hate waiting for the battles to be over. Swipe to move is imho very cumbersome but the presentation is fine so far.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes I'm aware of the combat being slow and I'm not happy with it. It's not final either and I have some different options in mind for improving it.

You can swipe and hold to keep moving in the desired direction. You can also change direction by swiping again (without lifting your finger). I don't know if you noticed that and still think it's cumbersome? I have an alternative input method implemented as well where you tap in the desired direction, but I find that less usable personally.

Regards

Magnus

purestrain

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 03:21:18 PM »
Okay; i was not aware of that. I tried it again and its not intuitive for me either. If i move up and swipe to the right i was assuming that my direction changes to top-right instead of right only.

I would prefer to press anywhere on the screen to get a virtual (invisible) d-pad with the center-point on the location i clicked. Anyway, nice presentation.

devilbuddy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:31:35 AM »
I would prefer to press anywhere on the screen to get a virtual (invisible) d-pad with the center-point on the location i clicked. Anyway, nice presentation.

Yes, I'll probably implement a number of different control methods since everyone's taste is different:

• swipe (like now)
  • tap
  • virtual d-pad (visible/invisible)
  • keyboard/physical dpad (if available)

/Magnus

Snargleplax

• Rogueliker
  • snargleplax
    • View Profile
    • SnargleQuest dev log
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:31:58 AM »
Don't forget tilt! That ought to be "popular."

devilbuddy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:20:38 AM »
Don't forget tilt! That ought to be "popular."

Probably not tilt though  :)

guest509

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 11:08:44 AM »
  I don't want to expose my noob-hood when it comes to hand held devices...so I'll ask in this way...

So I have a friend who is wondering if you can play this on PC. Perhaps via emulator.

-JO

devilbuddy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 03:43:07 PM »
  I don't want to expose my noob-hood when it comes to hand held devices...so I'll ask in this way...

So I have a friend who is wondering if you can play this on PC. Perhaps via emulator.

-JO

:)

Well, of course! If your friend has java installed, the game can be run on the desktop as well. Please try the following jar file... oops sorry .. please tell your friend to try the following jar file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4495934/zrl.jar

Cheers

Magnus

guest509

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 08:39:39 AM »
  TY Mr. buddy. I can tell you, with some degree of confidence, that my friend will be pleased.

Hamish

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:36:54 PM »
haha