Author Topic: Running in Aliensrl  (Read 9305 times)

Me

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Running in Aliensrl
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:07:13 PM »
Hi!

I'm alien-fodder so far, but that's not the problem. Hard is, that I cannot run, when an alien is on the screen. I mean, I can run by pressing ; but if an a is anywhere, then it simply doesn't work?  :P The program asks: Press direction, but then nothing happens. It would be very helpful, if I could run away if there is a danger instead of when I'm safe  ;) Can anyone help?

guest509

Re: Running in Aliensrl
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »
  Hey I'm pretty sure the 'run' command you are using is just a macro. It's the same as pressing a directional key over and over really fast until you hit a wall. You aren't moving any faster than the enemies in the game, the game is just processing it really fast. It saves you time.

Think of it as just pressing fast forward on the game until something interesting happens.

Auto move and auto explore commands are standard in many roguelikes. It is also standard to halt upon finding a bad guy or an item.

If you suck at AliensRL, and most of us do, try these pointers. See the 3rd post down in this thread.
http://roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=1491.0

Goodluck man. AliensRL is pretty neat. If you dig it you'd probably also like DoomRL.

-Jo

Me

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:00:03 AM »
Thanks for your help. That explains the problem  ;D On the other hand: I read, it is better to avoid combat if possible. But with so much open doors and such fast aliens, that is rather hard, especially in lowlight areas. I fear, humanity is doomed as Privat Me is not the best alien hunter of all times  ;) Well, I don't give up. Reached Tower Level 4 for the first time! And died immediatly  ;D

Game Hunter

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 06:57:36 PM »
But with so much open doors and such fast aliens, that is rather hard, especially in lowlight areas.
You can close doors with the 'act' command. (I think it's the spacebar by default?) This alone helps a ton by avoiding unhealthy situations.

In a game like AliensRL, managing your ammo is crucial. You're not guaranteed to get a lot of it wherever you go, and certain towers have more of a given type than others. With this in mind, who you decide to fight is of utmost importance (since you want to get enough points in the weapon skills to actually make good use of them): the biggest bang for your buck are hunters, since they're only slightly more durable than juevenilles. You can usually find a lot of them lurking in the hallways, where they're far easier to kill without getting attacked. Drones and workers (and, when you find them, overseers) aren't worth the trouble due to their really high armor and HP. I find that, if you're low on ammo, you want to descend a little to somewhere you haven't been and search around. You can build up a hefty surplus when things die a lot faster (as a result of improving your skills).

Weapon-wise, I find that sticking with the starting pistol and leveling your sidearm skill to at LEAST advanced ensures you a good killing weapon at a distance. The other two sidearms are much harder to find and only one is actually worth finding, but comes with the trouble of having pretty rare ammo. Pretty much all of the primary weapons are good (for when you find them): combat shotguns have the unfortunate side effect of hitting enemies you don't want to hit (like workers), making a bad situation even worse; SMG is a great way to kill fast but eats through your pistol ammo faster; the other ones are almost always superior. Heavy weapons are...well, really strong, but difficult to manage: they don't matter until end-game and you won't need one to win. Really, if you get in a tough situation, that's the time to throw some grenades.

The rest is just technique, which is summed up quite nicely by Jo's link.

EDIT: I actually have a couple of (successful) video playthroughs recorded on my channel: one by a Scout and one by a Medic. The latter completely surprised me, as I managed it on the first attempt (well, first recorded attempt). Check my LP thread for the link.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:00:19 PM by Game Hunter »
2012 7DRL Challenge blind-runs!
2013 7DRL Challenge blind-runs too!
I do roguelike LPs, usually blind. I'm always looking for criticism!

Me

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 07:16:54 PM »
Thanks, I will take a look at your success. Grats by the way!  :) With open doors I mean the blue doors, which can't be closed. And it doesn't seem to me, that the aliens would ever loose your track when you flee. So blue doors + a near alien = less amo, I'd say  :'(
On the other hand: The fun of a roguelike is not winning, or none of us would play it, true?  ;)

guest509

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 06:03:29 PM »
  Definitely true. Dying horribly is part of the allure.