Author Topic: MicRogue - Update Jun 19th  (Read 77714 times)

jasonpickering

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MicRogue
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »
well some monsters don't fit right now. see my final plan will be that the tower is themed. My goal is to have a normal tower but then later expand with other towers each being of a certain element. so Fire, Ice, Dark, etc. the skeletons will probably be in the dark tower. they will probably be the base guy though and they will just die normaly. I will however add a new enemy to the game called the necromancer. upon his death all skeletons in a level will be destroyed, but he will be very rare.

I want to do like a town or something but haven't thought of anything to put in that thematically makes sense. I was thinking maybe like two alters maybe probably when i do I will give the player something like 3 coins. and these coins can be spent to upgrade your stats and stuff or maybe I will go the binding of issac route and make coins very rare. I still want to add drops at some point only they will probably be limited to health and mana potions.

right now stats are super limited I have Health and Fireball. so the player could purchase more fireballs or more health.  but that would still be pretty good.

Pueo

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 07:05:22 PM »
I managed to beat the blob, but I'm pretty sure I cheated.  If you repeatedly click in the general direction you want to go (for example, just click on the stairs repeatedly), you can glide past enemies without giving them a chance to retaliate.  Note this does not work in combat (you cannot double-hit monsters).

Bug!

Those eyeball snap-things and witches can snap/attack you through walls, and you cannot shoot your fireballs through walls.
{O.o}
 |)__)
   ” ”   o RLY?

jasonpickering

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 05:42:45 AM »
small update:
Test it

I swapped out the monster wandering AI for an actual pathfinding AI. they come charging at you and its a little easier to plan ahead, but also much harder because they are relentless now. I really need to figure out what I am doing with the Magic system.

jasonpickering

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 02:05:57 AM »

Hey Guys. Wondering if anyone would like to test out a newer build? I completely redid the movement engine, to make the gameplay a little more tactical and was hoping I could get some people to try it out and then answer a few questions to help me out.

Pueo

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MicRogue - Need some in depth Feedback
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 03:30:49 AM »
I'm always up for play-testing, just let me know  :)
{O.o}
 |)__)
   ” ”   o RLY?

NeedsFoodBadly

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Amulet of Yendor
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 09:31:41 PM »
I like it but it seems the only workable strategy for this is to move until a monster moves adjacent to you, so you get the first attack.

In that sense, I'm not sure I like it.  However, that being the way the game is made right now if you included a way to rest without moving, it would entirely negate any difficulty in the game.
Amulet of Yendor: Roguelike news for Rogues by Rogues! | Roguelinks
Crapsoft Studios: "We keep the seat up!"

jasonpickering

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 01:27:55 AM »
NeedsFoodBadly: yes at this point that is kind of the strategy. Although in the newer build I will be giving to my testers, I have updated the move system.

basically an enemy was dangerous if there were an odd number of spaces between you and the monster. a skip turn would make the game easier, but would completely  break the game. So I set out with that in mind and came up with a solution taken from many tabletop RPGs. basically your main character has a Move range and an attack range. usually the move range is 2 and the attack range is 1.

the player can move 1 or 2 spaces in a cardinal direction. this means they need to think about how they move to get the enemies into position. I also upped the tension by giving you no health, so one hit kills you and combat is deterministic. enemies never miss.

enemies have also changed. the current build has 3.

a witch: has an attack range of two and paths towards the character.
a Rat: has an attack range of one and moves every other turn( might swap the every other turn to the witch)
an Eye: has an attack range of one and only moves towards the player, when the player is directly in line with it.

each enemy has different AI, and each needs to be handled differently.

my next goal is the addition of potions. they will be one time use and bestow a bonus until the next turn. some examples are +1 move, +1 Range and Shielded from damage .

also I will be adding Traps. but these are not ordinary traps like in most roguelikes. these will be quite obvious tiles. the first will be a spike trap. it will pop up spikes every 5th turn damaging anyone standing on the tile. this can be good to lure monsters on to the spikes.

finally I am toying with some kind of class/race bonus. where each time a player performs a specific action(like killing an enemy) a bar is filled, when the bar is filled they receive a free potion. it will always be the same type of potion. It might be a combination where race decides the action required and class decides the potion received.

AgingMinotaur

• Rogueliker
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 07:49:59 PM »
Wondering if anyone would like to test out a newer build?
You know I'm a fan :) Send me a message if you'd like me to play test it.

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

jasonpickering

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 05:40:13 PM »
so Wondering is anyone would like to test a new build. Its pretty different, with an actual game ending now.

let me know if you are interested. Also now a big fan of the name, so I working on changing it. the game is all about grabbing gold now so it will probably be something with loot, spoil, gold, thief. something like that.

Pueo

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 10:40:09 PM »
so Wondering is anyone would like to test a new build. Its pretty different, with an actual game ending now.

let me know if you are interested. Also now a big fan of the name, so I working on changing it. the game is all about grabbing gold now so it will probably be something with loot, spoil, gold, thief. something like that.
Yay, I was wondering if you had quit development. I'm open for testing.
{O.o}
 |)__)
   ” ”   o RLY?

jasonpickering

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 11:37:30 PM »
no I took a break to make my 7DRL, but after that I redid the engine and then went right back to work on this, with all the knowledge I gained from the 7DRL.

I will get a build to you with a bunch of questions. I am doing some fixes now so It shouldn't be to long.

jasonpickering

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 04:00:55 AM »
Update!!

game is going along nicely. The entire game loop is in. I have added 10 enemies and I have begun to add the items in. I recently sent out n update to all my testers. if you are interested in trying it out drop me a line and I will get you a build.

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »
I want, I want!  I still plan on showing some examples of this in my IRDC presentation, if that's okay.

jasonpickering

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 05:55:04 PM »
Darren that is not a problem. I will send you a build. I will see if I can add a screenshot function to it. and if you want I can make you any mockups you might need.

Incidently the newest build is Crazy Different.  the big thing is I changed the attack method. Its more like chess where you instead of just striking an enemy you walk into the enemies place. I did this for three reasons.

1. It gives the Player one thing to worry about. they only need to care about the enemies move, not the ways they move and attack. and the Player only needs to worry about their movement.
2. It allows more exciting Enemies. before you need to make sure you don't move next to a monster and that's about it, but now the monsters like the ninja, who move like knights, have become a huge danger.
3. It makes the Player more aggressive. before you needed the enemies to come to you. you needed to move so that they will take the last step to put them in attack range. With this you feel like you are actually going after the monsters.

jasonpickering

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 10:19:27 PM »
Well I hoped to have a new build for everyone, but I am having a bit of trouble with the AI. The problem is I can either have enemies move into danger, making them easy to kill, or I can make them avoid danger, meaning they run away from you. I am weighing my options and trying to figure out a happy medium, in making the enemies a little more dangerous.