Author Topic: Adventures of Da'lar  (Read 27101 times)

merc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Adventures of Da'lar
« on: June 16, 2008, 09:56:54 AM »
Hello,

I just opened a new devblog ( http://dev-dalar.blogspot.com ) for my rogualike game. The game itself is still in development and coding stage so there are no playable version yet.

I'll be updating the blog whenever I get new ideas and updates..

purestrain

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures of Da'lar
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 10:42:57 AM »
Why does just everyone start with a blog but actually nothing playable? Just like in general many hobby game developers create a fancy webpage with '... great game, features, screenshots soon' but nothing more to hear.

Scautura

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • CyberRogue
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 11:22:07 AM »
In my case, it gives me motivation to actually do something. I've tried many many times before, but failed miserably. This time, I have a blog (something else I've failed miserably at before - however, this time it's slightly more specific) and already I have some working (loose definition) code with a message system.

Scautura (see below)
Duct tape is like the Force - it has a Dark side, a Light side, and it holds the Universe together.
CyberRogue

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 11:16:06 AM »
Why that screenshot is blurred?

merc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 04:19:11 PM »
I kinda of messed up the screenshot ( how can someone manage to do that :D) anyways, the screenshot is not important atm since there is very little what is going to get into released version.

However I have actually made some good progress with inventory/equipment and tradeskill UIs so I might put a image on display to let you guys see what i have been up to.

I have been dealing with problems with data containers and such but I got em fixed today so I can change my focus to enviroment itself.

makkE

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 07:50:51 PM »
Those screenshots look very nice from an aesthetic point of view. I hope it will be playable full-screen ? (the "maximize button is greyed out)..

I must admit I hate not being able to play fullscreen :P

Anyhow, I will watch and hopefully try it out some day :D

merc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 05:05:56 AM »
hiya

Thanks for the feedback makkE! And yes, its playable in full-screen (disabled atm since I like to dev it in windowed mode :) I haven't really decided what kinda of resolution i'll be using while fullscreen (maybe user preference?) and I still have a lot of tweaking to do before it looks the way it should in fullscreen and in windowed mode :)

but at the end of the day it definitely gonna run on fullscreen too.

Altefcat

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Elderlore
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 12:53:54 PM »
I've just added Da'lar to Planet Roguelike; any new development since july?

Brigand

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 02:08:42 PM »
Your title screenshot looks pretty damn cool. I am looking for to playing a (good) multiplayer roguelike, so I will be following your development quite closely! If you can actually pull this off, I think you could have a game that ranks up with the big 4 rogues.

merc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 06:12:19 AM »
Hey!

I have been a bit busy with my reallife work _but_ I have made some great progress in lib and content.  I have implemented over 40 abilities ( including skills and spells and passive abilities ).

World itself has gone trought a major rework due the release of TCOD 1.3.x. The biggest change comes from antialiased fonts. Now I am able to render world with it's own charmap and text with antialiased fonts.

Monsters have a proper pathfinding and somekind of intelligence ( for example if they have a healing spell they might run away from you behind the corner and try to cast healing spell on themselves )

Some enviroment candy has been implemented too; Storms, snow, lightning etc

What comes to multiplaying, at the moment you can chat with other players and see them move... and trade items. This is the section which still needs a lot of work to be done.. The work is easing up so Im going to have more time on my hands!

merc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 08:52:51 AM »
I have few screenshots of the new engine at my blog.

First one is the city of astacia at 10am and next is the same city at dawn

Screenshots demo antialiased fonts and how engine renders clouds, rain etc.

Brigand

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 11:39:33 AM »
So, when do we get some code?!? Looks great!