Which setting would people like to play the most

Warhammer
0 (0%)
WH40k
13 (76.5%)
Underdark
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Warhammer, WH40k or Underdark?  (Read 40877 times)

Ancient

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer, WH40k or Underdark?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 06:32:48 PM »
Hello, I come to vote my support for WH40k universe. A game in that setting would surely be tons of fun to play. Please make it available for Linux though or else I will not get to play it.

Played Warp Rogue for a bit but lots more its predecessor "Tower of Doom". Managed to finish the latter a few times. Doombreed, prince of Khorne was one tough cookie. WR while still fun had less appeal for some reason.

edit:misspelled the name of Khorne! shame...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:42:06 PM by Ancient »
Michał Bieliński, reviewer for Temple of the Roguelike

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 11:59:46 PM »
Hi Ancient,

I plan on a Linux build, I now have a working ubuntu image to play with, but for the first few releases you will have to rely on Wine (again ;))

I have the same experience with Warp Rogue/Tower Of Doom. I really enjoyed ToD but WR was a bit lacking.  I think WR felt a bit empty compared to the more "contained" Tower.   It was a shame because the game structure behind Warp Rogue was good.

corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

TSMI

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 01:29:15 AM »
Well Goodsir, i concur with the Imperial Guard. They are indeed worthy of their own game.  Have you seen Warp Rogue at all?

Yes! That game rocked. Shame it was left unfinished though.

I am thinking I should start emailing people who make obscure unfinished games, to let them know that at least someone out there played and enjoyed it. Maybe I might encourage devs to keep at it.

corremn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 04:27:33 AM »
Maybe you can learn how to program in obfuscated C and finish it. 
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

a1s

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 10:10:11 AM »
Have you seen Warp Rogue at all? 
I wanted to play that recently, but the homepage is down (it would seem permanently). Does anyone know where I could get it?

corremn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 10:18:37 AM »
Hmm, looks like the todoom (warp rogue) has been deleted of sourceforge. Maybe it has been renamed? Surely copx would not delete it.

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
  • Im in ur rougeliekz, pixelling ur tielz!
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 12:44:55 PM »
Hey how's that dev going?
The invisible hand is a lie, the fiendish dogma of the market cultists. Lest the apostasy grows strong, their blood god will devour each and everyone, pious and infidel alike.

corremn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 02:02:05 PM »
yeah its coming along a bit slower than I would like. I am trying to get in at least one hour a weekday.  I am solely working on combat at the moment. Trying to figure out how combat with superhuman strength would work.  Currently I am adding body parts and coup de graces. Of course that results in some really bloody combat.  I will probably put some screenshots or vids on my blog when I have something to show. I am currently leaning towards delimbing of enemies only, as limbs are not currently part of the greater plan, but with a tech priest nearby who can make a new limb for you that may change.

Then I will add all the weapons I want, and combine them with the combat effects. I.e critical hits wont just be a message saying you "You hit the orc. It was a great hit!" but rather you will see the orc be knocked back, with a spray of blood. Or see its arm and weapon, or head go flying across the room and  be temporarily blinded by a spray of blood across your visor, etc.

I am probably biting off more than I can devour at the moment, but I have no doubt that I will release something soon. I already have a working game, where you walk around and kill cultists, but it has no real flavour yet.

Cheers

a1s

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »
I'd like to make a request, if I may. I've played some of your other RLs today, and I'd like to ask you to add the ability to use either the (non-numpad) number keys or the Home-PgUp-PgDown-End keys for movement, as some people (such as me) might be playing on a notebook and won't have a numpad.

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
  • Im in ur rougeliekz, pixelling ur tielz!
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 09:51:46 PM »
I wholeheartedly second that petition.

I don't own any keyboard with a proper keypad right now.

Give it vikeys, or user remappable key bindings, or whatever, but oh pl0x do it.
The invisible hand is a lie, the fiendish dogma of the market cultists. Lest the apostasy grows strong, their blood god will devour each and everyone, pious and infidel alike.

corremn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 12:23:18 AM »
Ok done. easy pesy.  With my latest games you should be able to remap anything to non special ASCII characterd I.e keys that represent a single ascii character, a-Z ~+? etc, not home, insert. Just because no one has ever requested it.

I though non-numpad number keys worked but I am guessing they dont :)

guest509

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2011, 09:47:25 AM »
  Blood for the Blood God!!!

Are you thinking straight 40k or are you going more Space Hulk?

corremn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 10:13:28 AM »
Skulls for the Skull Throne!!!

Mostly straight 40k themed but rules will initially be my own. I have not really defined a setting yet.  A space hulk would work fine, as would an mined-out asteroid where suddenly the miners have dissapeared, as would a planet recently released from a warp storm, or though lost to the warp for a millenia suddenly re-appearing, a settlement not responding to contact... etc etc. 
A space hulk would probably be easiest but it has been done. Well not exactly as a roguelike but...

I am looking at doing a arena style game first to get the balance of combat. Hopefully I will get the arena and standard roguelike gameplay out in my first release.

Bear

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2011, 04:03:55 PM »
Hmmmm.....  Thousands of years ago, the capital ship Rhiannon was fitted with an Experimental Warp drive, and engaged it while in orbit around Abraxis IV.  It turned out that instead of neutralizing the destabilizing effects of a gravitational field on warp generators, the E-drive amplified the instability, with disastrous effects.  Both Rhiannon and Abraxis IV (yes, the whole planet) were sucked into warp space and presumed to be lost forever.

But, last Thursday, a warp instability was detected near an old asteroid mining base, and early on Friday morning, a planet which appears to be Abraxis IV was ejected from warp.  Rapid-deployment scout robots have confirmed the locations of major cities, roads, etc -- and also spotted the ship Rhiannon, downed on the planet and apparently mostly-intact. 

It is not known how much subjective time has elapsed on the planet, nor whether it has been colonized by creatures native to the warp-space environment or whether any humans (or their mutated thousandth-generation descendants) might still survive there.  You were dispatched with a crack team of troubleshooters (people who shoot trouble with REALLY BIG GUNS) with this mission: First, assess, report, and if necessary neutralize any threat to the empire.  Second, get to the Rhiannon, board it, and dismantle the E-Drive before the local warp instabilities recharge its core and it throw the planet back into warp. 

Something like that maybe?

purestrain

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2011, 06:42:51 PM »
I guess you get a great fanbase by making a wh40k roguelike. I had stopped all my wh40k 'fangame' efforts (star-quest and space-hulk, for gp2x http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImSdcIhbbZg ) since some trouble of fellow gamedevs which were forced to stop their games - though i had always wh40k inspired roguelikes in mind :-(

Anyway, i hope to see a release and i hope noone from games workshop forces you to stop it.