Author Topic: RL for Android  (Read 8256 times)

Omnivorous

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
RL for Android
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:53:11 AM »
Hah, bet some of you clicked that and thought I was announcing that I'm working on one! But sadly, I'm not a developer. :) I was just wondering if anyone currently is working on a RL for Android?

I know there are some available. These are the only ones I think is worth mentioning though:

Dweller - Well made for players inexperienced with RLs, but very very easy.
Angband - The port for Android is one of the most well-made ports I've ever seen. The screen-scaling option with volupe +/- is also quite brilliant. Sadly my phone's screen is just too small no matter what to enjoy a hardcore, ASCII-based RL like that.
TraqueHack - This is actually my favorite RL for Android. It's simplistic, but it's well made and quite challenging. And the online score-board makes it fun, over and over and over again! It's kind of like Rogue's older brother. Or perhaps, cousin. :)

Anyway, I remember the iPhone got a graphical version of "Rogue" ported pretty quickly. I'm praying for the same thing to turn up for Android.

Just curious if any devs is working on anything for Android!

purestrain

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: RL for Android
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:10:50 AM »
I am working on a sci-fi themed game, targetting a htc hero with android 2.2 (only because of the JIT-Compiler for my phone, would work on everything > 2.0). Currently i'm testing/developing on a htc tattoo (seems not powerfull enough and 1.6 only), htc hero (my device), lg optimus p500 and a archos 70 internet tablet.

What device do you have? Would you mind running some losely coupled tests (e.g. save/load speed) and test the game later on? Savestates could get broken every now and then currently :-(

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:49:08 AM »
Another worth mentioning is probably Voyage to Farland.  An homage to Shiren the Wanderer, dev continues to knock onward.

I still lack any such devices, maybe in another year or two I can catch up to where people have been the last few.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 06:30:36 PM »
Wow, lots of new stuff! Or maybe I just have not found them before.

I have managed to run POWDER on Android (via a GameBoy simulator called Gameboid, IIRC). I have not really played it, though.

I would like to create a game for Android based on the Hydra Slayer mechanics (but more suited to capabilities of Android), but I have no time for that.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:01:22 AM »
Just got an android yesterday. Wow what a phone!  Too bad I dont have the time to dev a RL though...
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Omnivorous

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:26:51 AM »
I have a X10 mini pro, with a custom-rom. It is basically Android 2.1, but hacked and JiT 2.0 is included and apps2SD. I'd love to try it out :)