Author Topic: Developing a variant  (Read 24738 times)

Ari Rahikkala

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Developing a variant
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 09:56:41 AM »
Now would be a good time to get initiated in the secrets of git :).

(or, whatever your preferred revision control system is - I use darcs, actually - but git seems to be the general first choice these days)

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »
(I would be happy if DCSS allowed playing the Zot Defense variant too.)

That is supposed to be incorporated as an option same as the little FastCrawl modes come .8 I believe.

Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
  • Im in ur rougeliekz, pixelling ur tielz!
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 01:20:01 PM »
Now would be a good time to get initiated in the secrets of git :).

(or, whatever your preferred revision control system is - I use darcs, actually - but git seems to be the general first choice these days)

Umm this is almost ancient greek to me but sounds cool o.o
The invisible hand is a lie, the fiendish dogma of the market cultists. Lest the apostasy grows strong, their blood god will devour each and everyone, pious and infidel alike.

Ancient

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 10:09:50 PM »
I really recommend you learn to use a version control system. You could have rolled back changes by one and seen what thing exactly broke "teh game" and learned something useful about the code.

Good luck developing your variant. You seem to have much energy. When you feel there is something worthy to try do not hesitate to notify us. :)
Michał Bieliński, reviewer for Temple of the Roguelike

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »
thanks ancient :_D

I'm downloading a git tutorial rite nao, the problem is that it's a linux system, and while I do have a linux computer, I'm stuck with windoes for now when screwing around with ZAPM because I only got it to compile using visual c++... (although I'm sure there must be a way to overcome that, but I don't know how yet)
I'll see if I can grab a curses tutorial too.
The invisible hand is a lie, the fiendish dogma of the market cultists. Lest the apostasy grows strong, their blood god will devour each and everyone, pious and infidel alike.

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
Unless I misunderstand, Git isn't only for Linux.

http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list?can=3

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 06:35:30 PM »
Oh, that's great! A pity that I've spent all the afternoon typing monster drops, I'll check it as soon as I get again to pour some time into this project.

Btw, I'm going to release the first version of the variant soon, because I've added:

7 new weapons

5 new pieces of armor

2 professions

and changed monster equipments so they have the new stuffs.

I know it's still a minimal departure from the original game, but my l33t ninja skills are quite lacking (as in moar liek loser sumo skills) and I can't just keep talking.

I have yet to tackle other more complicated equipment like implants, and canisters (I'd love to add some new canisters!), and I ought to make the game chuck out more levels but as of now I have NFI how to do that...

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 10:42:42 PM »
Yay! I managed to give canisters randomized colors, along with their randomized descriptions! There were already set colors for the descriptions, but they weren't used. Now they aren't all magenta!

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 01:38:05 AM »
The game's longer now. It was damn easy once I stumbled upon the values that set the depth of the different branches. They couldn't be more straightforward:

Code: [Select]
#define TOWNLEVEL 12 //PRIME ed: originally 8
#define BUNKERLEVELS 16 //PRIME ed: originally 12
#define CAVELEVELS 9 //PRIME ed: originally 6
#define SEWERLEVELS 7 //PRIME ed: originally 5
#define CAVEBRANCH 15 //PRIME ed: originally 10
#define MAINFRAMELEVELS 6 //PRIME ed: originally 4

So I multiplied them all by 1.5. The original game has 39 different levels, the branches listed above plus two unique levels. Now it has 55. I'll leave it at that for now because I don't have the knowledge to make new branches or unique levels (yet!). Another factor to take into account is if putting the town at level 12 makes it harder or something. The town isn't much help in a lot of games, but if strapped for radiation or restoration treatment, it'll be farther away now...

Ari Rahikkala

• 7DRL Reviewer
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 09:28:44 AM »
Be careful extending the game length. In roguelikes, more stuff rarely equals more goodness. Stone Soup's actually been cutting branch lengths recently because, really, if you could deal with the first four levels of the Elven Halls, you don't really need to show you can deal with two more before you get try your hand at the end. Hope the stuff you've been adding to the game is awesome :)

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 10:00:26 AM »
Be careful extending the game length. In roguelikes, more stuff rarely equals more goodness. Stone Soup's actually been cutting branch lengths recently because, really, if you could deal with the first four levels of the Elven Halls, you don't really need to show you can deal with two more before you get try your hand at the end. Hope the stuff you've been adding to the game is awesome :)

Yeah, I can see what you mean, but I felt the game was actually a bit short, and there's another user here who felt the same, so I thought it was needed. In any case, if it proves boring/not challenging enough, it's equally easy to make it chuck out some levels less.

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 03:01:51 AM »
Has anyone *any* feelings about "unarmed" weapons?  ;)

kipar

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 07:40:51 AM »
I don't like them. They are either overpowered (if Monk without weapon and armor has same damage and protection as a gunner with very costly equipment and limited ammo) or useless (if monk has lower damage and has no chance of increasing it using high-end equipment).

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 02:20:27 AM »

Psiweapon

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • I Lovemaking Tiles
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »
Implementing informal identification for implants.