Author Topic: ARRP 2010: Albion  (Read 9570 times)

OrangyTang

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
ARRP 2010: Albion
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:33:17 PM »
Albion is my attempt at a graphical roguelike, and I've been meaning to post it up here for a while, so the ARRP gave me the push I needed. :)

More information on the game page here

Or try the direct link to play the game here.

It's mostly mouse-based at the moment, but the numpad works for general movement and simple actions as well. Everything has tooltips so hopefully things will be reasonably obvious how to play.

I've been working on this about a year, off and on. It's playable and should be bug free, but there's no win condition and the actual mechanics are pretty simple at the moment. And it's hideously unbalanced at the moment as well, since I'm still trying to figure out how I want my basic combat equations to work.

Feedback of all kinds greatly appreciated. Thanks.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: ARRP 2010: Albion
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »
Visuals appear to be excellent and in general this looks to be one of those things that "should've been" as far as commercial productions go on the relevant systems of the time.  Further development and some sort of client to play offline would be swell.  Congrats!
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

OrangyTang

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »
Thanks. :) Adding 'proper' graphics to a roguelike is proving more time consuming than I had planned, but the results are worth it IMHO. Still lots to do before it's a complete game though...

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:44:35 PM »
I should think so, keep at it!  Lost Labyrinth is one of the only others that come to mind that go for something of a "Zelda" feel in that regard.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:59:39 PM »
I liked it.  I found the movement system quite annoying when there was no monsters present,  as I would like to move freely with out the step countdown.  I also think that grouping movement should auto switch to your leader (when no monsters around). 

I also found the time it took to switch from one player to another was quite long (relatively), not sure it that is the same for everyone.

Looks great though, I think it will be a great game.  (Even if its not a roguelike ;) )
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

OrangyTang

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 09:16:07 AM »
Thanks guys. :)

I found the movement system quite annoying when there was no monsters present,  as I would like to move freely with out the step countdown.  I also think that grouping movement should auto switch to your leader (when no monsters around). 
I've been through a few different versions of the movement, and I'm still not entirely happy with it, yet I haven't figured out a way to make it quicker to use without sacrificing the strict turn-based approach. The grouped movement is currently a good compromise, but it could do with being slicker. Suggestions are welcome. :)

I also think that grouping movement should auto switch to your leader (when no monsters around). 
I'm not sure I understand what you're after here? Related, I'm not sure yet whether I want the user to nominate a 'party leader' or not. Later you'll be able to swap in/out members of your party, so the concept of a leader might not make sense. OTOH, having your leader grant certain bonuses based on class (eg. nominating a warrior as your leader makes everyone hit harder) could add some interesting tactical choices.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 06:52:42 PM »
Any relation of this to an old computer RPG Albion? Not sure how well known is that, but I don't like two games to have the same name...

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 11:00:18 PM »
Any relation of this to an old computer RPG Albion? Not sure how well known is that, but I don't like two games to have the same name...

My guess is no, as sometimes there's just plain weird crossovers around words.  Main world for Space Battleship Yamato series?  Iskandar.   A main hub on the map of the fantasy RPG Unlimited SaGa?  Iskandar.   :D
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

OrangyTang

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 09:03:07 AM »

It's just a coincidence, I've never heard of that game before I'm afraid. 'Albion' is a very old name for England, so it pops up a lot in fantasy RPG settings (IIRC the world in Fable is called Albion too). Albion was just a placeholder name originally but I've got quite attached to it, so it may or may not change in future.

In terms of games Albion is largely inspired by Exile, Baldur's Gate and Shining Force.