Author Topic: Teemu v1.2 released  (Read 10944 times)

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Teemu v1.2 released
« on: August 29, 2010, 01:25:55 PM »
http://koti.mbnet.fi/paulkp/teemu/teemu.htm

Three months of hard, non-stop work to rewrite the engine. Sadly, the gameplay is pretty much the same, with some new items. In the next release (1.3) I'm going to concentrate more on creating new stuff.

I'm not sure about releasing the source code..

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Teemu v1.2 released
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:23:30 AM »
News! Find a bug and I will release the source code. Two known bugs don't count:

- message when light goes out (one turn late)
- "push chest to entry point" -bug: when returning to level the player is on top of the chest

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 05:12:12 PM »
Make it MORE OBVIOUS that you can find the keyboard commands with the ? key rather than just in the readme.

Also the game should say where you are, if on a path, outside a lighthouse, in the shadow of mountains, on a wind swept beach.

Also maybe some ascii art would help the feel of the game imho.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 05:51:21 PM »
Make it MORE OBVIOUS that you can find the keyboard commands with the ? key rather than just in the readme.

How more obvious can you make the universal keyboard command key '?'?

Also the game should say where you are, if on a path, outside a lighthouse, in the shadow of mountains, on a wind swept beach.

Can't you see where you are? There is some description when you press 'v' key.

Also maybe some ascii art would help the feel of the game imho.

I was thinking to get rid of background ascii and use tile graphics with ascii objects (maybe that should be optional like background tiles on/off option). Also planning to add more graphical title screen.

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 06:50:45 PM »
More obvious as in, not just in the readme.txt file :P

I know you can press 'v' but why do I need to press a key to find out where I am, not user friendly imho.

As far as the acsii art went, I just thought of grabbing some public domain images and running through an ascii art conversion and use them to add a bit of spice to the game...

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 07:23:45 PM »
I know you can press 'v' but why do I need to press a key to find out where I am, not user friendly imho.

Keep watching movies. In games you have to press those funny keys to do stuff.

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 08:19:23 PM »

Keep watching movies. In games you have to press those funny keys to do stuff.

That made you sound like a complete pillock to me. You obviously are "way too cool" for my
opinion, so I will leave this thread to yourself.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 07:04:12 AM »
You obviously are "way too cool" for my opinion, so I will leave this thread to yourself.

I'm sorry, I thought I was telling the truth. I'm not even sure what do you mean telling the player where he is. The location/level id is visible all the time, right? Can you tell exactly how would you implement that thing?

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 07:45:49 AM »
Pressing "v" only seems to give a limited "generic map" description... It doesn't matter where I am on the island it seems. If you want me to press a key, then "reward me" for the effort, with perhaps a clue, or tidbit of information I couldn't glean from the visual cues.

And the level tag is just that, just a level description, it doesn't describe where you actually are.
When you are on sand/the beach, it should say that, probably a line of text at the bottom of the screen. If you are going to make someone press a key to <L>ook Around, then give them something for the effort, though don't turn it into a grind, hence the suggestion of a line of text at the bottom of the screen.

A "tile" description would make the game more immersive, so you know where you are standing, and maybe some indication if you can "enter" a tile to a new region, as it might seem obvious to you, but it wasn't to me as newbie.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »
When you are on sand/the beach, it should say that, probably a line of text at the bottom of the screen.

Like it was really hard to figure out when you are on beach. What roguelike implements that kind of moron guide?

yodhe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 01:57:25 PM »
Like it was really hard to figure out when you are on beach. What roguelike implements that kind of moron guide?

Sheeeesh, you really know how to make sure the people who play your game are appreciated!!

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 08:06:27 AM »
you really know how to make sure the people who play your game are appreciated!!

I'm good at that. Anyway, that kind of moron guide would be somewhat interesting from programming perspective so who knows? If you want to give more specific location than just the tile type it's going to need more sophisticated routine which has defined area descriptions linked to certain areas. It could be doable and the bottom line is actually empty. It would be optional, I don't want to underestimate the intelligence of players.