Author Topic: Human friendly  (Read 11398 times)

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
Human friendly
« on: July 13, 2010, 10:25:38 AM »
Trying to update gcc (mingw for Windows) and the whole thing looks pretty complicated. Why can't I just load all (important) files gcc has and copy/update them where I want to? Why can't they use .zip? Everything starting from docs are just unneccessary complex. And it's much easier on Windows I think. In linux you have to build the shit and update everything.

Just fucking add "download" button for simple gcc package. Can't be that hard?

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
Re: Human friendly
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 02:28:27 PM »
I wonder too. After a few years of abstinence from C/C++ development I recently wanted to update my Mingw installation too, but gave up because I couldn't figure out how to do it.

I have installed an old backup with Mingw 2.95.2 now :/ At least I can compile Iso-Angband with that, but debugging support on Windows is horrible with that.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:17:40 PM »
I install Dev-Cpp when I want to install mingw (and then run it only when I want to add packages). Not sure whether it is up to date, though.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:08:28 AM »
I install Dev-Cpp when I want to install mingw

That would be nice, but DevC++ has not been updated since 4.9.9.2. and that was in 2005! I don't really know what's going on, maybe it's an abandoned project.

ido

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Tame Tick
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 12:55:19 PM »
And it's much easier on Windows I think. In linux you have to build the shit and update everything.

Which linux distribution are you using?

In Ubuntu it's pretty much just
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade for updating every program you have on your system, including gcc & friends.

If you don't want to use the command line there is a fairly simple gui that does the same thing[1] at the click of a button and it has been installed by default for many years now.

[1] this is somewhat equivalent to microsoft's windows update program, only it applies to everything you have installed instead of just the base OS.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:57:31 PM by ido »

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 01:10:21 PM »
Yeah well maybe they have made it easier for linux and then they just fuck Windows users with all that crap. Not that linux is easy OS in general, it's not.

ido

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Tame Tick
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 11:48:57 AM »
Ubuntu is.

I use mac os x, windows 7 and ubuntu on a fairly regular basis and they have all been converging in terms of UI for years now.

I'd say each of them require a couple of weeks of getting used to at first and will be frustrating to use in those weeks, but after you get used to their style they are very similar and each have their own little annoyances.

For windows that would include the constant need for rebooting when windows or some apps update themselves, making files that are in use by some other program un-deleteable and the fact that it can take quite a lot of time to kill a program once i click "End Task" in the task manager - neither mac os x nor linux have these particular annoying bits but they have others of their own (which are just as minor and annoying as the aforementioned windows quircks).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:11:52 PM by ido »