Author Topic: Theme Idea Dumping Ground  (Read 14481 times)

guest509

Theme Idea Dumping Ground
« on: June 01, 2010, 08:58:54 AM »
  Post deleted by author.

purestrain

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Re: Theme Idea Dumping Ground
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:07:14 AM »
... not very usefull IMHO; maybe you should spend some time on these "ideas" and write more content. Could be even generated like "Play as a %1. Kill all %2".

guest509

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 08:50:14 PM »
  I have multi-page documents going into detail on all of these. Monsters, bosses, level themes, artifacts, character classes, etc...some are more complete than others of course.
  This was just a theme dump. Not a set of design documents.
  I figured people might want to add quick rundowns of some themes they might enjoy.
  The D&D clones are great but there is room for something different.

BTW Pure I think you nailed it in the second part of your post.
  "Play as X, Kill/retrieve Y" is a good formula for outlining themes in roguelikes. Shit maybe I'll write a program that does that! lol!

Sorry it wasn't useful to you Pure. Maybe it will be to other people.

george

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 02:18:54 AM »
I'd like to see more done with passing files around; like one player could play a game, the level would be saved and sent to a server where another player could get it to play it. You could do stuff with buildable/destructible environments and such like this. Like passing bones files around to the extreme.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 05:13:01 AM »
Feel free to steal any of these

Nothing to steal here. You didn't invent themes.

guest509

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 07:49:29 AM »
Feel free to steal any of these

Nothing to steal here. You didn't invent themes.

That didn't make sense. Invent themes? Like, invented the concept of themes? Or are you saying none of these are original?

What's with all the negativity? I didn't think this was that kind of forum.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:42:18 AM »
Or are you saying none of these are original?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

What's with all the negativity? I didn't think this was that kind of forum.

The internet is full of ideas. Also, there are lot of tutorials and information about this subject. But what is missing are actual games. If you get to the point where you actually create games you already have an idea for it. There is no need to get the ideas from any magic source, they come easily.

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 08:53:11 AM »
Depends on the kind of ideas. These blurry "theme" ideas are rather plenty. Ideas for fun game details or to solve the question "My game is boring, what can I change to make it more fun?" are really hard to get.

I liked the list of themes though, and was hoping for more to be posted. But actually not to make use of them, but to add the list to my library in case someone actually misses theme ideas ...

AmnEn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 07:54:42 PM »
I think the roguelike community is a tad burned by the vaporware syndrome.
Too many people came up with great ideas, shared them and discussed them, some even received praise for them only to disappear into thin air while the game never saw the light of day. There's also the case of one person posting several dozen game ideas, some of which quite generic and whenever a game came out that even remotely looked like one of his sketches, he went ballistic. Not saying you will, just mentioning that there were several similiar cases. I think that's why people generally frown upon themes, concepts and ideas unless they're fully realized.

I mean everybody has ideas, some of which are great. Heck, I think even I have a couple of at least interesting ones. But in the state they're now in, they're just text. Just concepts. Pointless, worthless and useless for anyone but myself. And even in my case they're mostly a vanity item so why should I bother others with it? Not to get you down. Keep pumping out ideas. It's a good exercise for yourself. Just don't expect people to celebrate or honor them. Also if you want comments on those themes, flesh them out a bit. Oneliners won't spawn lengthy comments. A well thought out longer concept might attract good feedback - if the moon doth shine and the planets do align.

guest509

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 11:09:29 PM »
I think the roguelike community is a tad burned by the vaporware syndrome.
Too many people came up with great ideas, shared them and discussed them, some even received praise for them only to disappear into thin air while the game never saw the light of day. There's also the case of one person posting several dozen game ideas, some of which quite generic and whenever a game came out that even remotely looked like one of his sketches, he went ballistic. Not saying you will, just mentioning that there were several similiar cases. I think that's why people generally frown upon themes, concepts and ideas unless they're fully realized.

I mean everybody has ideas, some of which are great. Heck, I think even I have a couple of at least interesting ones. But in the state they're now in, they're just text. Just concepts. Pointless, worthless and useless for anyone but myself. And even in my case they're mostly a vanity item so why should I bother others with it? Not to get you down. Keep pumping out ideas. It's a good exercise for yourself. Just don't expect people to celebrate or honor them. Also if you want comments on those themes, flesh them out a bit. Oneliners won't spawn lengthy comments. A well thought out longer concept might attract good feedback - if the moon doth shine and the planets do align.

Now there is a well thought out response. You see I do not spend much time on forums, and had no idea that discussion of alternate roguelike themes would be so overdone and fruitless as to cause actual revulsion.
  I saw a post earlier of a guy asking about what kind of roguelikes we'd like to see, so I thought I'd make a post listing possible themes that aren't D&D.

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 12:18:46 AM »
Yeah it is simply a case of "we have heard it all before but where are the games?".
Roguelike ideas are a dime-a-dozen. Roguelike games are not.  We want games people!

That said, dump as many of your ideas as you like.  Some of them may give inspiration, some not.  This is a roguelike forum, so feel free to talk about what ever aspect of them you like.  Who cares what some people think.

And ignore Krice, he just says what he thinks with no tact or constructive feedback at all. Some might say  that its kind of refreshing really. Some might not :).

P.S Could someone make a warhammer inspired game, Vanilla or 40k I dont care. Please!!!
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 05:30:20 AM »
Having an idea or theme doesn't matter that much. It's how you handle it. Even with basic high fantasy theme it's still today possible to create a great game. Or bad, if you don't know how to work with the theme.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »
Do a 7DRL for each of your ideas.

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 03:52:32 PM »
I liked the list of themes though, and was hoping for more to be posted. But actually not to make use of them, but to add the list to my library in case someone actually misses theme ideas ...

I must have had a brainfail when I wrote that.

R. Dan Henry had assembled a quite extensive list on r.g.r.d and kindly allowed to include it in the Simugraph Library:

http://www.funkelwerk.de/library/index.php?n=Library.RoguelikeThemesInAnOrderedList

I'd assume, this list can keep aspiring developers busy for a while ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 03:56:39 PM by Hajo »

guest509

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 09:07:58 AM »
  I hear you Corremon, Krice, Slashie and Hajo.
  I'll put something decent out here pretty soon. I'm currently messing with the Spelunky code. It's good...but this shit is ALL TALK unless something I make gets released.
  Hopefully something better than that GUNFIST 7DRL I put out. What a piece of shit.