Author Topic: crawl viewport problem...  (Read 29620 times)

makkE

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
crawl viewport problem...
« on: November 29, 2007, 10:37:56 PM »
Hello,
I was wondering how I can manage to run the windows version but making it look like the dos version? The windows version has such small size on the screen and the colours are ugly (fullscreen) :(

I tried around with setting stuff in a shortcut´s options, but it didn´t get me anywhere.

# view_max_width   = 33
# view_max_height  = 17

^^ I found these in the init file, but I have no idea what to use, and if it´s the right thing at all.

The problem is that the current dos version 0.32 has that annoying bug with the backround colours flushing the screen sometimes...

Any help or hint would be greatly appreciated!

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
Re: crawl viewport problem...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 08:28:21 PM »
What version are you playing? I play the Windows version of DCSS, and I can change the colors and font size by right clicking the title bar.

makkE

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 01:47:36 PM »
I know what you mean, but this doesn´t seem to give me the cosole-style font really..

Anyhow, 0.3.3 is just out today and they fixed the colour bleeding in dos :) So my problem is gone, thanks anyhow, Z.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 11:40:21 PM »
When I change the colors in window, they are also changed in fullscreen mode for me. Sometimes the colors are not changed for an unknown reason, but usually they are. Also I don't run Crawl directly, but from FAR Manager, maybe that is important. Maybe also it differs between Windows versions.

makkE

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 04:18:01 PM »
I tried it in far, and it does start it with the proper font and spacing :)
Will be handy for other roguelikes... I hate when they run in that small font and only use 1/3 of the screen---

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 04:10:50 AM »
I don't want to start a new topic, so here you go.

Ubuntu's repository crawl version is way too old, and I wanted to get the latest Stone Soup version. I think I must've compiled that at some point (can't really remember), because I've got the executable on my PC. However, the arrow keys don't work. You know that can be bad when playing roguelikes on a laptop: I'm not going to get used to playing with straight 1234567890 keys!

Does anyone know where the problem might be? I don't mind fiddling a bit with source code, but crawl looks like a monster *g*

---- edit ----

You know you've found some hacked code when you're searching through the source and come up with this function:
int unmangle_direction_keys(int keyin, int km, bool fake_ctrl, bool fake_shift)

---- another edit ----

Awww, man, seriously. Check out cio.cc from the sources, it's hilarious!!!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 04:18:10 AM by Anvilfolk »
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

stu

• Rogueliker
  • Moop!
    • View Profile
    • Stu's Rusty Bucket
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:15:32 AM »
newsflash, crawl source was seriously horrendous from the start. Linley learnt to program with it and put it all in header files and all over the place. It has never been good, I dont like crawl much (as a game) so I dont follow it, but iirc, it has all? been rewritten since those days??
--/\-[ Stu ]-/\--

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:23:03 AM »
However, the arrow keys don't work. You know that can be bad when playing roguelikes on a laptop: I'm not going to get used to playing with straight 1234567890 keys!

I cant remember if you can reassign keys, but you should be able to use the macro feature to map said number keys to arrow keys.

newsflash, crawl source was seriously horrendous from the start. Linley learnt to program with it and put it all in header files and all over the place. It has never been good, I dont like crawl much (as a game) so I dont follow it, but iirc, it has all? been rewritten since those days??

Partly rewritten, and it is still bad, even for c code.  IMO Crawl\Stone Soup is the most challenging yet balanced RL out there, from the first encounter to the last and has so many original and inovative features, it just has a  dated feal.  I have tried every RL out there and I only play this one consistantly, so do yourself a favour...

corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

stu

• Rogueliker
  • Moop!
    • View Profile
    • Stu's Rusty Bucket
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 12:02:59 PM »
so... do myself a favour and what? dont leave me hanging with such a line....
--/\-[ Stu ]-/\--

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 12:06:21 AM »
... and play it.  Especially now since 0.4 SS is out.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 01:16:28 PM »
I found out how to define other keys for moving around, though I'm sure it can be improved. I used Macros, but I think you can use keymaps.

The way I did was: ctrl-D, (m)acro, <arrow-key>, <number>, where number is the keypad number for the direction you want. I was able to set the arrow keys for going up-down-left-right, and then pgup, pgdown, home and end for the others.

I'll have to figure out how to use keymaps for that. Not much time right now :(
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy