Author Topic: Looking for a roguelike like this  (Read 58646 times)

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
Re: Looking for a roguelike like this
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2009, 05:14:58 PM »
You can't really blame userfriendly controls for the fact, that they didn't become popular, though.

I don't blame the fact, I only wonder that maybe providing userfriendly controls was a bit of a wasted effort.

Also I think developers should also listen to the players and not only do what they like themselves. You claim they are never 'done' with their roguelike, but I can't really imagine that. I mean there must be some point where you think you're done with your game and want to make a new one.

Developers of free games usually do what they want, not what they "should". Or maybe they "should" do their real job, raise their children, or whatever their life requires, not develop their games. If you feel that you want to make RoguePlanets complete and user friendly, that is great for RoguePlanets. But unfortunately lots of RL drop or slow down the development, especially the ones with big plans. Things such as user friendliness may be below the required level of motivation.

ADOM is somewhat unfinished (there are bugs and imbalances there), but Thomas Biskup has decided he prefers to make a new game. Linley Henzell, the original developer of Crawl, has lost interest in its development AFAIK (although it was maybe quite complete, not counting missing tiles and menus), but luckily the Stone Soup team appeared, who manages to continuously improve it. IVAN is a great game, although incomplete (version 0.50 is displayed) - the developers had some plans which have not been executed yet; however, they lost their interest (or maybe their free time), and unless they change their minds, or a new team emerges, IVAN will remain incomplete.

Rya.Reisender

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2009, 05:27:20 PM »
Those are good excuses and all, but they only confirm me with saying that it's bad design.

Arakune

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 06:34:10 PM »
I'm looking for basically the same thing as the Topic Creator, except I want ASCII graphics! haha.

So yeah, I'm looking for something similiar to games like DoomRL, POWDER, Berserk! etc. I just need something a little more indepth.

Thanks for any help

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 12:18:20 AM »
Crawl Stone Soup is my only recommendation at the moment. It has completely stopped my develoment activities.   Ok it has a hugh learning curve in the sense of its difficulty. 

Its funny now, I read many posts about people saying I cant get past the first few levels.  I remember that that was me once, but now if I die early it is always completely my fault.  With crawl there ishardly ever an inescapable death, there will almost always be a way to avoid death. It just takes 500+ games before you realise that and have the experience to recognise nearly every situation that will lead to your death.

Also I recomend to play Minotaur Berzerkers for beginners.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Archaalen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 04:13:01 AM »
Second on Crawl Stone Soup!!!!

Rya.Reisender

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 06:07:09 AM »
For me it completely depends on the class I choose how deep I get. The classes that don't have much HP/ATK/DEF always die on floor 1 or 2 for me.
But yeah Crawl Stone Soup is just really really good, but more aimed for the hardcore roguelike gamers. The difficulty is similar to Shiren's.

I got Baroque now and I like it a lot. That game is really close to Fatal Labyrinth gameplay-wise. I just didn't figure out how the identifying works. It seems that even if I have identified an item already, the next one of the same type I find is unidentified again. But sometimes the items I pick up are already identified. Maybe it's random? Also Baroque's soundtrack is really cool.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 11:52:57 AM »
Did you ever try the Scallywag:  In the Lair of the Medusa demo?  It is also a realtime "lite" one same as Baroque and Dicin' Knight.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2009, 02:46:46 AM »
Another I think I forgot that is designed for micro-games outright:

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Digital_Eel/WW/WW_page.html

Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space  Not quite a "Roguelike" same as Flatspace 1 and 2 also just have some key elements, but seems to be well beloved on their forum, not expensive, and shouldn't have too robust a key layout.
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training

Rya.Reisender

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2009, 10:43:41 AM »

getter77

• Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2009, 12:55:06 PM »
Cool, not one I'd come across before!  Thanks.   8)
Brian Emre Jeffears
In Training