Author Topic: MorphicRogue - help with some ideas possibly  (Read 21194 times)

zzo38

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • http://zzo38computer.cjb.net/
MorphicRogue - help with some ideas possibly
« on: July 22, 2008, 08:08:22 PM »
MorphicRogue is something I am making. I have a few ideas (some of them come from the Roguebasin wiki):
  • The races you can select from are anthropomorphic animals
  • You can navigate a ship in the water to go to different places, and your ship can get damaged
  • Boxes, balls, and barrels you can push, some of which contain gunpowder, which will explode if hit
  • Spells that require you to balance Yin and Yang
  • Hit/miss chance is based on bell curve
  • You go to the different towers and find the magic diamond at the top of each one, when you collect all of them you win the game.
  • You can make sandwich by bread, meat, cheese.

Skills:
  • Ship navigation
  • Spell effectiveness
  • Strength (affects your carrying capacity)
  • Dodge
  • Dagger
  • Sword
  • Staff
  • Whip
  • Shield bash
  • Yin magic
  • Yang magic
  • Bite/claws

Anthropomorphic animals (you can make suggetion of changing this list if you want to):
  • Alligator
  • Antelope
  • Badger
  • Bat
  • Bear
  • Butterfly
  • Cat
  • Dog
  • Deer
  • Fox
  • Gazelle
  • Hedgehog
  • Horse
  • Hyena
  • Lion
  • Lizard
  • Mouse
  • Rabbit
  • Racoon
  • Skunk
  • Squirrel

Maybe you can make suggestion, how the skill points and hit points should be assigned for each race (no more than about 10 skill points each, but you can still improve your skills later as you choose)

Also I want suggestion of spells and which cost what amount of Yin and Yang points. Some spells are more Yin and others are more Yang, and you have to balance the amount of Yin and Yang you have if you don't want to have a penalty.

I have some idea of a spells but I don't know what Yin/Yang it should be.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:59:45 PM by zzo38 »

Quasist

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: MorphicRogue - help with some ideas possibly
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:11:21 AM »
Butterfly is an insect, not an animal

If races are only animals then I believe it is better to stick to the Druid's magic school, not chineese(or Asian, sorry).

If there in game world are exists regular humans and regular animals then I reccomend add were-creatures feature. For example, wolfwere - the wolf who posseses human form by liking killing humans :)

For weapons I reccomend add Claw and Bite skills.

zzo38

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 05:49:52 AM »
....If races are only animals then I believe it is better to stick to the Druid's magic school, not chineese(or Asian, sorry). ...
It is a mixed theme game (also an idea from RogueBasin).

....For weapons I reccomend add Claw and Bite skills.
You are right. I forgot about skills for unarmed attacks

Gamer_2k4

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 07:46:27 PM »
Butterfly is an insect, not an animal
I'm pretty sure insects are still animals.
Gamer_2k4

Anvilfolk

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:15:39 PM »
Hahahah ;D

Well, Yin and Yan? Either you come up with something esoteric that goes along with your theme, or you can just use the typical "good vs evil" thing, where attack/damaging spells pull one way, and healing/blessing/helping spells go the other. Casting an evil spell should also have more weight than the defensive spells, for example so that there's a tactical thing in there: should I cast as soon as I have the chance, or should I wait until the situation is more desperate? Tactical decisions for the win :)
"Get it hot! Hit it harder!!!"
 - The tutor warcry

One of They Who Are Too Busy

zzo38

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 11:22:32 PM »
I would wonder still which spell, and/or which animal, would be Yin/Yang. I found some things below. But, still evertying I'm not sure and want a opinion. Some spells might be: Fireballs, Healing, Teleportation, Lock a door, Unlock a door, Strength, Defense, Create walls, Remove walls, Transmutations, Detections, etc.

Yang animal sign people are Rat, Tiger, Dragon, Horse, Monkey and Dog.
They usually have high energy levels and much forwardness. They tend to be open, honest and not at all good at keeping secrets. Usually chattier, more outgoing, mix more readily with strangers and newly-made friends. They love being showered with plenty of attention.

Yin animal sign people are Ox, Rabbit, Snake, Sheep, Rooster and Boar.
They are more guarded and secretive, act less on impulse and more on well thought out strategy. They often come across more reserved at first meeting, but can be extroverted amongst close friends. They are drawn to spirituality and mystical sciences and knowledge. They often enjoy their own company of others, and tend to get along better with other yin animals.

Yin (陰 or 阴 "shady place, north slope, south bank (river); cloudy, overcast"; Japanese: in or on; Korean: 음, Vietnamese: âm) qualities are characterized as soft, slow, substantial, water, cold, conserving, tranquil, gentle, and corresponds to the night.

Yang (陽 or 阳 "sunny place, south slope, north bank (river), sunshine"; Japanese: yō; Korean: 양, Vietnamese: dương) qualities are characterized as hot, fire, restless, hard, dry, excitement, non-substantial, rapidity, and corresponds to the day.