Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 26747 times)

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
Minecraft
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:00:53 AM »
Does anyone play this?

I'd say it's about 50% roguelike.  It's a dwarf fortress inspired game where you run around digging, collecting resources, crafting, building, and trying not to get killed by monsters.

It'd 3d and first person instead of ascii.

Currently the only multiplayer mode is "creative" mode where you're invincible, and it's pretty much just digital legos, but survival mode where zombies try to kill you will eventually get a multiplayer version as well.

The creator does charge for it, but some of the content is free to play.  I don't know if the basic version will always be free or what, but the full version currently includes item crafting, day/night cycles, and a few other things, and can be purchased for 10 euros (about $13).  Once the game enters beta, the price will double.

You can play both the free and paid versions at http://www.minecraft.net/

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 03:54:47 PM »
Does anyone play this?

I'd say it's about 50% roguelike.  It's a dwarf fortress inspired game where you run around digging, collecting resources, crafting, building, and trying not to get killed by monsters....
Fenrir runs off to play Minecraft.

EDIT:
Fenrir is building a fortress made of sheep's wool and dirt.

WARNING: Seems to work best on... (Fenrir shudders.) Internet Explorer.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 04:23:00 PM by Fenrir »

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:19:45 PM »
I'm using firefox, and it works fine here.  What browser are you having trouble with?

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:25:36 PM »
I was having trouble in FireFox, it being the only browser I ever use, though I keep others on my computer for the sake of testing websites during development. It froze on occasion, and the game would have some problem with some array or other going out of bounds when I died. I'll try again later and see if this persists.

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 11:31:20 PM »
Huh.  Might be worth mentioning that to Notch at markus@mojang.com

Here's my castle so far:

Edit:

I've added a tower:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:00:31 PM by Vanguard »

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:14:35 AM »
Should I not post these not-really-roguelike-but-with-roguelike-elements games like Minecraft and Probability 0?  I thought there'd be an interest in those sorts of things here, but it looks like I was wrong.

Edit:  Should this be moved to general discussion instead of not yet major roguelikes?  It has a good number of roguelike features, I don't know if I would actually say it is one.

Going down TotRL's official definition of a roguelike, Minecraft has randomization, a single command set, free form gameplay, discovery mechanics, and plenty of content (the maximum map size will be nearly twice that of the earth's surface),  with a few others being debatable).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:58:17 AM by Vanguard »

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 03:09:44 PM »
I say post em as they are close enough!  Backlogs tends to time delay most people checking out most things, but there's no telling when new people will come wandering around and see a nifty post on one thing or another.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 10:43:46 PM »
I say post em as they are close enough!  Backlogs tends to time delay most people checking out most things, but there's no telling when new people will come wandering around and see a nifty post on one thing or another.

Yeah, I can understand that.  I have a bunch of games that I'm supposed to try myself, but real life is getting in the way.

So who has tried this so far?  How did you like it?  Notch recently announced a bunch of cool features he's planning to add.

He's said that he's going to make it so the game can generate maps that are larger than the surface of the earth, and once he's done that, he's going to start working on multiplayer features, so you'll be able to team up with your friends against the zombie hordes, or compete against each other to see who can find the most gold, and stuff like that.

He's planning on adding fantasy monsters like goblins and kobolds, and while exploring the "infinite" maps, you'll be able to find them living in villages.

There'll be digging enemies, and magic in some form is being planned, and all kinds of cool stuff.

I have the paid version, so if anyone has any questions about it, I'd be happy to answer them.

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 11:37:52 PM »
Fenrir squeals with delight.

Aganazer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 02:25:29 PM »
I got so addicted to this game last weekend. I probably put in about 20 hours over two days. Now I am battling with my will to stop playing long enough for infinite maps to catch up with the current indev features.

I can't wait to try it coop with my wife. So much potential. I got so excited that I could make a glass tunnel under the ocean. It was interesting trying to figure out how to drain the water from it. Then I accidentally flooded it a couple times while making a a mine under the ocean. I just about crap myself when I ran into a creeper in that glass tunnel. The damaged caused from their explosion would have had some far reaching consequences.

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 04:23:03 AM »
It's fun, but I think more exciting than its current state is how much potential it has.  I haven't felt like that about a game since Dwarf Fortress.  Hopefully Minecraft doesn't end up disappointing me in the same way.  Notch seems to care more about gameplay than realistically modeling details that never affect the player in any direct way other than lowering their fps to the single digits.

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 02:35:50 AM »
There's a new update to the infinite maps mode if any of you like that.  I still like the regular old indev mode better myself, but the terrain generator is a lot cooler, and you start with like 64 boxes of tnt, and that can be fun to play with.