Author Topic: 7DRL 2010 discussion.  (Read 44767 times)

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email

stu

• Rogueliker
  • Moop!
    • View Profile
    • Stu's Rusty Bucket
Re: 7DRL 2010 discussion.
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 12:28:09 PM »
the spam IS a usenet problem, and not just a google groups issue, google groups is nothing but a web usenet reader, spam is an underlying nntp/usenet issue. I've been reading usenet since the late 80's. As a medium I think its passed its age, nntp is clunky and outdated now.
--/\-[ Stu ]-/\--

george

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 03:09:48 PM »
Why then is there so much more spam on the Google Group compared to your average news feed?

Getting OT, but I think Usenet has its advantages. There's a reason Gmail chose threaded email for its interface for example. It's simpler and faster than a forum as well, though obviously it lacks in many areas where a forum shines.

What I'd really like is a forum feed reader, but I haven't found anything that would work half well.

Skeletor

• Rogueliker
  • villains ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 12:09:46 PM »
Haha, the Ron Paul Revolution RogueLike looks awesome, I hope it will really be developed!
What I enjoy the most in roguelikes: Anti-Farming and Mac Givering my way out. Kind of what I also enjoy in life.

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 12:33:47 PM »
Why then is there so much more spam on the Google Group compared to your average news feed?

Some news servers try to block spam. I assume google doesn't filter. But I gave up on google groups due to the high noise ratio there.

Krice

• (Banned)
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 10:11:24 AM »
Did any of them become even close to a RL? It looks like a lot of work with reviewing and hosting of these.. games.

purestrain

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 11:39:42 AM »
I clearly sign your "message" krice. Actually some of these "games" look like roguelikes, and some of the so looking ones are roguelikes  ;D

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Yeah, I struggle to play roguelikes that arn't roguelikes, 'cause I likey roguelikes, not so much roguelike-likes. It would be good to have a classification on these games.  Oh well, I dont have time to play any of them at the moment.  I did enjoy a couple of minutes of that princess one, just because someone mentioned it.  What else is a straight roguelike?
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »
Everybody will know, soon.

Ex

• IRC Communications Delegate
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 04:54:21 AM »
Did any of them become even close to a RL? It looks like a lot of work with reviewing and hosting of these.. games.

I actually thought most all of them adhered pretty close to the roguelike genre. Mine was 3d, but it was a roguelike in every other way that I could make it in 7 days. The dungeons were very roguelike, which is most noticable in the ascii map. It was even turn based.

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 03:02:53 PM »
Everybody will know, soon.
Dun. Dun! Dunnnn! *lightning flashes*

ywgdana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 07:16:37 PM »

I actually thought most all of them adhered pretty close to the roguelike genre. Mine was 3d, but it was a roguelike in every other way that I could make it in 7 days. The dungeons were very roguelike, which is most noticable in the ascii map. It was even turn based.

I would unequivocally call Smart Kobolds and Trapper roguelikes, if somewhat specialized ones.  I can't think of any essential roguelike ingredient they're missing.

guest509

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 11:02:33 PM »
  I don't think that my little exercise, GUNFIST!, is very roguelike.
  It is realtime instead of turnbased, it's graphical and action oriented. It is only roguelike in that it IS tile based and has procedurally generated rooms/levels.
  But it was a good exercise to see what I COULD do in a short time period, and what a realtime action style roguelike could look and feel like. It was more of a learning exercise to see what the scripting program GAMEMAKER could do.

I'm using what I learned to create a new, turn based style game. More traditional. Realtime just sucked. Collision checking and twitch style sucked hard as well.

Darren Grey

• Rogueliker
  • It is pitch black. You are likely to eat someone.
    • View Profile
    • Games of Grey
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 12:23:12 AM »
The most roguelike of the lot was probably The Legend of Klakkamara, which featured numerous enemies and items and even had cursed items.  Troll Slayer was also one of the more feature heavy roguelikes produced.  None of the games had random item identifications, but most other roguelike staples were prevalent.

The thing that they all lack is a huge degree of complexity, which is one ofthe things we all like about the main roguelikes.  Of course in 7 days it's impossible to gain a good degree of complexity.  But more importantly I'd say that's not the point of these sorts of games - by investigating simplicity we discover new styles of gameplay and new ways to expand how roguelikes can be enjoyed.  Also, it's all a bit of fun to engage in, and makes us actually produce real games instead of dreaming about the next big uber-complex title...

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 02:59:38 AM »
Yeah I am now focused on game production instead of engine production.  Which is good, because engine production drives me crazy.  It is good to start hacking at code instead of dreaming about new complex generic functionality.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike