Author Topic: ADOM - tips & strategies  (Read 105520 times)

Archaalen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ADOM - tips & strategies
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 04:42:45 AM »
Humans are, as with most games like this, completely average in all respects.  They can be good at any class of character, but they will not be as good as another race which suits the class better.  Stats make a character what it is, and if you want a character who works well, it is a good idea to pick a race whose good stats are the ones that are important for the class (ie, Learning and Mana for Wizards.  Do you want specific class/race suggestions?

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 08:50:03 PM »
They can be good at any class of character, but they will not be as good as another race which suits the class better.

So in other words, human is never the worst choice for any class, but is also never actually a good choice either.  I don't like how so many games do that, because if you want to play seriously it means that they're useless.

Stats make a character what it is, and if you want a character who works well, it is a good idea to pick a race whose good stats are the ones that are important for the class (ie, Learning and Mana for Wizards.  Do you want specific class/race suggestions?
[/quote]

Okay, well I want something that's not just bumping into things for the whole game (like warriors 90% of the time) or that depends almost entirely on the RNG like stealth classes usually do (e.g. roll a 7 and you're spotted, roll a 15 and you get a free instant death backstab), so most of the time I end up playing magic using characters.

If fighters are more interesting and have more depth to them in this game then I'm totally willing to give them a shot.  I don't want to play an archer because, even though I know from experience that they're good, collecting arrows all the time is too much of a pain for me to want to deal with.

So basically what I want is a either a good mage or fighter (if they have more depth to them) class that has good long term potential, and is just fun to play.

AgingMinotaur

• Rogueliker
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 12:59:31 AM »
Grey elf wizard is the optimal choice for magic users, I think. Other combos I can think of, that I like: orcish priest, dwarven druid/wizard/priest (tougher than elves), hurthling/human/gnomish druid, drakeling druid/wizard, gnomish wizard/elementalist, trollish wizard (weirdly fun). I'm no big fan of elementalists or necromancers, but I like druids. Animals don't attack them, they tend to get good spells, and they're not as frail as wizards. Other interesting choices include elvish/drakish bards, and weaponsmiths (who have the needed skill (Concentration) to become good casters). As far as I gather, smithing is all about grinding, though, so it's up to you ...

Any magic user needs to get Concentration to 100% as soon as possible. Literacy is also very important. Important stats are Learning (how good do you memorize), Mana (amount/regeneration of mana) and Willpower (strength of magic). Choose the "Potent aura" talent as soon as possible.

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

Archaalen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 04:11:00 AM »
The problem with the elves in general, especially when played as spellcasters, is that they are very fragile and easily killed since their hp is so very low.  Humans will actually work better in many circumstances, since they are a bit tougher and have a better chance of actually surviving long enough to gain a few levels and progress in the game.  Thieves and Assassins, while making good use of stealth, are not dependent upon them to survive.  Assassins start off quite skilled at fighting with and throwing knives, and can be quite deadly when using a dagger in each hand (they also begin with skill in two-weapon fighting) and a few daggers in the ammo slot as well (You will start with a good number of them).  I play humans as Assassins and Wizards, though they would probably make feasible Archers as well. 

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 04:25:01 AM »
Once a elf wizard has teleport control he does not have to worry about fighting anymore...  I have only won with grey elf wizards.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 06:11:38 AM »
What are the best star signs, and what's a good strategy for starting out?  I remember going to the small cave and trying to get blankets for inventory protection, and then I'd go rescue that carpenter guy for the healing skill, and after that I'd head to the main dungeon and die.  Sometimes I'd stop by the infinite dungeon at some point along the way.  Is this a good way to start out, or is there something else I should do during/before these things?

corremn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 12:01:03 AM »
Hmm, check the previous threads for answers on page 1.  I was going to answer but it seems someone has done the job for us 2 years ago.  ;)

Also I always choose a character that starts with healing so I do the other terinyo quest.
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 04:37:59 AM »
Which version should I download?  The newest windows version is "winbeta4," are there any crashing issues, or anything like that that mean it would be better to use the DOS version instead?

Archaalen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 04:47:07 AM »
Sword, Cup, and Candle are my 3 favorites, all give useful all-around bonuses no matter what class you are.  Wand is good for Neutral spellcasters (like Gray Elves), and Salamander is good for non-neutral spellcasters (Especially Elementalists, because of their fire spells).  The only star sign I never play as is Tree, the +5 willpower does not seem so useful to me.

I just use the DOS version with DOSBox, I've never used the windows version because I think it is still a bit bugged. 

corremn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 10:08:19 AM »
I used the latest windows version but I cant remember any major issues.

Z

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Z's Roguelike Stuff
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 04:29:31 PM »
IIRC the best way to play ADOM on Windows is the Linux version through ADOMSage (which also gives some additional features). But this might be hard to find nowadays.

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 10:36:31 PM »
IIRC the best way to play ADOM on Windows is the Linux version through ADOMSage (which also gives some additional features). But this might be hard to find nowadays.

It looks like you can download it from here:

http://kiserai.net/adom/sage/

Edit:

Alright, so I've been playing wizards for a while, and now I'd like to try something different.  What's a fun/interesting fighter class.  I'm thinking monk maybe?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:44:51 PM by Curseman »

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 03:35:57 AM »
After playing ADOM for a while, I have to say that although I think the core gameplay is good and interesting, with lots of variety, and plenty of discoveries to make, it's deeply bogged down by a bunch of completely arbitrary, unfair, and annoying design decisions, like how a character who goes around killing cats can (with no way of knowing or suspecting this without spoilers) wind up fighting an unwinnable boss battle near the end of the game.

I like how there's an overworld map with multiple, unique dungeons and tons of interesting enemies, multiple solutions to quests, all that stuff, it's just the arbitrary and unreasonable way these things were executed that were the problem.  Things like random, fatal crits, the need to remember the first type of enemy you killed, and maybe worst of all, the bizarre set of actions you have to go through to get the best endings all just really diminish the game for me.

corremn

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 10:27:47 AM »
Winning the game with a standard win is still a great acomplishment, ignoring all that stuff about god endings, the game is quite good. It is just once you find out about the ultra endings you feel you must accomplish them, which means following the guidebook extensively. 

But I certainly get what you are talking about.

Also the whole cat thing is quite obvious because of the unique messages when you kill them.  Also you dont have to kill the cat lord at all. 

Vanguard

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 09:33:42 PM »
Winning the game with a standard win is still a great acomplishment, ignoring all that stuff about god endings, the game is quite good. It is just once you find out about the ultra endings you feel you must accomplish them, which means following the guidebook extensively.

But I certainly get what you are talking about.

Yeah, when I first heard about them I wanted to try it, but now that I have an actual idea of what random contradictory nonsense you have to do (murdering innocent farmers to become the ultimate champion of good?  Really?) and the difficulty/grinding/luck involved in the process (good luck finding that amulet of life saving you need, especially at that point in the game) I've just about lost all interest in it.  I'll just go for a regular win and be happy with that.

Also the whole cat thing is quite obvious because of the unique messages when you kill them.  Also you dont have to kill the cat lord at all. 

Fine, but an unspoiled character can still get annihilated if they kill hundreds of cats throughout their adventure, and then head down the stairs to find themselves next to a superpowered Cat Lord.