Author Topic: Shockfrost  (Read 24512 times)

AgingMinotaur

• Rogueliker
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
Shockfrost
« on: September 25, 2009, 12:53:34 PM »
It struck me after having written a message in the Difficulty thread that it contained an unconcious reference to an idea of Shockfrost, that legendary spewer of ideas. This had me reviewing the old Shockfrost-thread on rgrd. Even though Shockfrost is a classic of RL paraphernalia, he's not referenced so often, so here's a reminder, to the benefit of new and old readers alike. Read the Roguebasin article on Shockfrost here. And here you'll find the extraordinary discussion thread.

With that, I'll shut my ugly face and leave the talking to Shockfrost. If any discussion comes out of this, I might chime in later.

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Shockfrost
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 02:56:52 PM »
I've never heard of this guy until now. I made a Shockfrost-style thread once; except that it wasn't as creative.

justinhoffman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 05:42:42 PM »
Man I have no idea how you would conceivably implement 1/10 of that stuff.

I don't think he had much experience in programming.  It's not as simple as just willing things into existence unfortunately.

Ex

• IRC Communications Delegate
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 06:21:47 PM »
It struck me after having written a message in the Difficulty thread that it contained an unconcious reference to an idea of Shockfrost, that legendary spewer of ideas. This had me reviewing the old Shockfrost-thread on rgrd. Even though Shockfrost is a classic of RL paraphernalia, he's not referenced so often, so here's a reminder, to the benefit of new and old readers alike. Read the Roguebasin article on Shockfrost here. And here you'll find the extraordinary discussion thread.

With that, I'll shut my ugly face and leave the talking to Shockfrost. If any discussion comes out of this, I might chime in later.

As always,
Minotauros
Interesting idea, but not exactly ground breaking. Maybe back in 2004 it was. We were just discussing this sort of thing in the thread "Difficulty".

AgingMinotaur

• Rogueliker
  • Original Discriminating Buffalo Man
    • View Profile
    • Land of Strangers
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 10:30:18 PM »
Interesting idea, but not exactly ground breaking. Maybe back in 2004 it was. We were just discussing this sort of thing in the thread "Difficulty".
True. I mean, Shockfrost had some genuinely nice ideas, but what makes the thread really entertaining, to my mind, is how it turns completely crazy. Steampowered vapourware! After a few hundred posts, Shockfrost sounds like the protagonist of some Werner Herzog-movie :) He just goes on making more and more insane claims about how infinitely complex his RL will be, seemingly adamant that implementation is not going to be a problem.

As always,
Minotauros
This matir, as laborintus, Dedalus hous, hath many halkes and hurnes ... wyndynges and wrynkelynges.

getter77

• Protector of the Temple
  • Global Moderator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 11:23:27 PM »
Wow...

I somehow shudder to imagine what may come be written of me in stub form in the far flung future.   :P

It would appear my blind notion to focus on gaining the requisite skills along a broad base first is in fact likely better than unloading my own out there ideas upon the savage wilds of rgrd...

His premise kinda reminds me of a cross between FATE and Kivi's Underworld somehow.
Brian Emre Jeffears
Aspiring Designer/Programmer/Composer
In Training

Fenrir

• Rogueliker
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 01:42:45 AM »
I somehow shudder to imagine what may come be written of me in stub form in the far flung future.   :P
You think you have issues? Ask about me on the Dwarf Fortress forums. I wonder if they still use the phrase "pulling a Fenrir".

Dalton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 02:18:02 AM »
You think you have issues? Ask about me on the Dwarf Fortress forums. I wonder if they still use the phrase "pulling a Fenrir".

Now you simply MUST explain this one.

ido

• Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Tame Tick
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 08:42:12 AM »
Man I have no idea how you would conceivably implement 1/10 of that stuff.

I don't think he had much experience in programming.  It's not as simple as just willing things into existence unfortunately.

A common mistake of budding programmers, I'm sure we've all been there ourselves.

It's interesting to note the "2nd ShockFrost"* is now considered a very honorable member of the roguelike dev community... Kornel Kisielewicz (of numerous 'coffee break' RL's fame) with his GenRogue project!

Just goes to show you, don't mock an exited and overly ambitious newbie!

* I started following r.g.r.d. after this was already done and over, I only read the threads later.

-Ido.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:46:28 AM by ido »

corremn

• Rogueliker
  • SewerJack Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Demise RogueLike Games
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 10:09:20 AM »
Interesting enough Kornel still has his genrogue site hosted
http://chaos.magma-net.pl/genrogue/eng/main.html
corremn's Roguelikes. To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor.  Warhammer 40000 the Roguelike

Etinarg

• Rogueliker
  • Idea archivist and game tinkerer.
    • View Profile
    • Gedankenweber Blog (German)
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 12:46:59 PM »
That thread was kind of epic. At least entertaining. r.g.r.d was (maybe still is? I haven't been there for years ...) often a  good place to pick up ideas - much more difficult though, to include these ideas in actual projects.

Slash

• Creator of Roguetemple
  • Administrator
  • Rogueliker
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 03:34:37 AM »
You people just don't know about the *real* Kornel Genroguelike (it is NOT genrogue) :D